• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Asian Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap this is huge.
There's a lot going on down here. Kentucky Derby, Nascar, Marlins, Heat Vs. Celtics.
We have to make something that is conducive to getting blasted on the couch, but respectable enough to be in the throwdown.
I think we have the answer.
Sum will be sitting this one out. He has quite a lot of money on the Heat tonight. If the Heat lose he might have to break out the pimp suit again (be on guard, bitches...).
Me on the other hand, well...I got something up my sleeve.

asian1.jpg

Looks like you'll be rollin' tonight!! :dance:

I may not be in this one...big weekend and I'm not sure if I have time. I may be able to bust out something late tonight. Korean and Chinese based seems to be the go so far. Where's the Laos Deep Fried Insect Platter at?

insect_crickets_fried.jpg

vientiane_scorpions.jpg

fried_cockroaches_laos.jpg

My head is really pounding after the little dinner party I hosted. The entries look amazing so far guys :dance: . I am going to type up my recipe now and download the pics.

I mixed Aji Lemon and tobasco chilli's in the fry pan last night and cleared the room out ha ha ha well at least we cleared all our sinus out. back soon.

SoFro Ninja Food American Michael Jackson Snackdown, Go!!

Egg Roll time in the FD4 kitchen. Also fashioned some Pork Cracklin Rangoons.
Had to have snack food for the myriad of games we have to enjoy.
Egg rolls have marinated teriyaki pork, slaw mix, and scotch bonnet.
Cracklin Rangoons are cream cheese, pork cracklins, and scotch bonnet.
2 sauces:
Honey and habanero sauce.
Spicy mustard with honey and habanero.
Tropical leaf for foo.
Busch light for drunkenness.
Mint Julep because we are awesome and it was the Kentucky Derby today, which we pretended to be interested in for 2 minutes.
Enjoy. I rove you.

IMGP1942.jpg

IMGP1944.jpg

IMGP1945.jpg

IMGP1947.jpg

IMGP1949.jpg

IMGP1950.jpg

Made in China.
FD

"Dynamite Dumplings"

Things I learned:

1) I suck at folding dumplings.
2) Dumplings own.
3) Dumplings are even better with peppers.

E67Uo.jpg

Seasoned pork with jalapenos and serranos.

iqDuq.jpg

Worst folding in the world.

pD0lB.jpg

Little cuties on a plate.

VS42N.jpg

A look inside.

Dipped 'em in soy sauce with some green onion and red pepper flakes.

FD4: Great idea.....great execution...and great photos....

Yep. That's a win!

Marcie: I LOVE dumplings!!! I think that looks amazing! :dance:

Um, yes please!

SoFro Ninja Food American Michael Jackson Snackdown, Go!!

Egg Roll time in the FD4 kitchen. Also fashioned some Pork Cracklin Rangoons.
Had to have snack food for the myriad of games we have to enjoy.
Egg rolls have marinated teriyaki pork, slaw mix, and scotch bonnet.
Cracklin Rangoons are cream cheese, pork cracklins, and scotch bonnet.
2 sauces:
Honey and habanero sauce.
Spicy mustard with honey and habanero.
Tropical leaf for foo.
Busch light for drunkenness.
Mint Julep because we are awesome and it was the Kentucky Derby today, which we pretended to be interested in for 2 minutes.
Enjoy. I rove you.

IMGP1942.jpg

IMGP1944.jpg

IMGP1945.jpg

IMGP1947.jpg

IMGP1949.jpg

IMGP1950.jpg

Made in China.
FD

Joeyk's Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Feast

Prawn toast

Peel and take out the poo shoot 350gm raw yummy prawns.
Seperate 2 eggs into small bowls and lightly beat the egg yolks.
Blitz the prawns, left over egg whites, 1 clove of garlic, 75g of drained finely chopped canned water chestnuts, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander, 2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger and ¼ teaspoon of salt n pepper (not the hip hop group) As much Naga powder that you enjoy. Blitz until a nice paste is formed.
Trim crusts 6 bits of bread and make them into pretty triangles lol, brush the topsides with some of the egg yolk (I used a unused paint brush). Spread the prawn paste on the topside and sprinkle sesame seeds for decoration.
Half fill a fry pan with cooking oil and heat to moderate temperature, place some of the triangles with the paste side facing down into the fry pan until they are golden brown (10-15 seconds), drain on paper.

Chicken Won Tons

In 1 tablespoon of oil cook 2 chopped garlic cloves, 4 chopped spring ions, 3 teasp of grated ginger – cook for 2 mins add 750g finely chopped chicken, 125g chopped bean sprouts and two tablespoons of chopped water chestnuts – cover pan and steam for 2 mkinutes.
Blend 3 teaspoons cornflour with 1 tablspoon of water, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil, 2 teaspoons of light soy sauce and ½ teasp of salt and pepper – mix until smooth and then add to mixture and stir for 2 minutes until sauce has thickened. Set aside to cool.
Once cool, place 1 tablspoon of mixture into the centre of wonton wrapper and a sprinkle of Neils THSC Chilli powder, brush edges with water and gather around the filling to form a pouch – pinch and twist sides together. Steam for 25-30 minutes in a steamer.

Sweet soy fired noodles

1kg fresh wide rice noodles
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 cloves crushed garlic
3 Freshly picked Chillis- I used Aji Lemon and Tobasco (Awesome combo), cut them thin.
250g baby bok choy, quarter it
4 Green onions (spring onion) (scallions)
2 tbl spoon kecap manis
1 tbl spoon oyster sauce
1 tbl spoon fish sauce
1 tbl spoon grated palm sugar
¼ cup chopped coriander
1 tablespoon fried onion

Place noodles in a large bowl, cover with boiling water, and separate with fork then drain.
Heat oil in a large wok, stir fry garlic and chilli’s until fragrant ha ha ha ha ha and clear the room like I did. Add ya bok choy and green onion, stir fry until green onion softens.
Add noodles with kecap manis, sauces and sugar, stir fry tossing gently (ahem) to combine, remove from heat, add coriander toss again (yes I have a problem) sprinkle with fried onion.

Marinated Chicken with steam greens

2 cloves of crushed garlic
2 teaspoons of freshly grated ginger
2 spring onions (scallions)
1 tblspoon chopped coriander stalks
¼ light coconut milk (watching me belly lol)
2 tble spoon fish sauce
2 teaspoon dry sherry
1 tablespoon dark soy
2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 Large red chilli’s finely sliced – like they do on telly
800g skinless chicken thighs (woot woo), trim off the fat (boo)
Blitz in a processor thingy - garlic, ginger, spring onions, coriander stalks and coconut milk to make a paste. Put it in another bowl and then add fish sauce, sherry, soy sauce, sesame oil and chilli’s, stir them all together. Add chicken and toss to coat thoroughly, chuck it in the fridge overnight.
Warm up your oven to 200 deg Celsius or 390F (for old people or the Northern hemisphere folk).
Transfer Chicken bits to a rack and bake for 35 minutes, take it out and give it a rest for 5 mins.

4.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.