• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Asian Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
UUUUUHHHHHH HYUK!!! HEY Y'ALL!!!

Sirkul-H hayre......gunna make sum of that thar SOO-SHEE.

This'll be that....what'cha'callit......teezers!

All the vittles goin' in muh sooshee:

100_3997.jpg

Somofda preppin' piktures:

100_3996.jpg

100_3998.jpg

100_4000.jpg

100_4005.jpg

100_4008.jpg

100_4007.jpg

This herez why yoo shud never toss dat syringe aftur injecktin' the thanxgivin turkee:

100_4010.jpg

redee fer thu ryce:

100_4011.jpg

Ya gotsta kool it quick and add the sweet vinegur at thu same tim.....or else it gits too stikee.

100_4015.jpg

It also adds a nise sheen to it.....purdee!!!

(Final photos in a bit.)

Geeeeebuuuuuuussssss, Everyone is killing it, we should do a pub crawl round each house and taste test these morsels yum yum.

Geeeeebuuuuuuussssss, Everyone is killing it, we should do a pub crawl round each house and taste test these morsels yum yum.

I couldn't think of anything better Joey, but your house ain't crawlin distance. Not that I wouldn't want to hop on Quantas for the stuff you and JungleRain did. Waiting to see if I'm KY bound and that ain't jelly.

Salsalady's Spicy Mongolian Beef

Ingredients-
chunk of beef, green beans, carrot, scallions, tamari (a premium wheat-free soy sauce), garlic, red pepper flakes, red pepper blend (home grown bhut, peter, cayenne, and 7 Pod powder), corn starch, sesame seeds, oils, rice.

5d31b311.jpg

prepped ingredients-
London Broil meat, twice-sliced, (marinating with tamari, corn starch, garlic and red peppers); blanched green beans and carrots; sauce (tamari, water, corn starch, pinch of sugar, red chiles); toasted sesame seeds; green onions-
571673b6.jpg

The spicy beef went into the hot pan first with a little sesame and vegetable oil. Fried it all up and then added the tamari/corn starch sauce. When the sauce was all cooked up and happy, tossed in the rest of the ingredients-
fd028f24.jpg

Served family style~
bcfbd29b.jpg

efe81960.jpg

1d26b611.jpg

wow- that was the easiest TD I've ever done! 6 pics and 3 of those were of the plate. :lol: No worries about the 10 picture limit for me.

Quick and easy, heck, it's Mother's Day, so I'm taking the easy road. Time to re-wine~ :cool:

Great entries from everyone, tons of yummy looking food.

JR, I've merged your posts into one per entry requirements.

PepperJam posts merged.

The "one post, 10 pic limit" is not a suggestion. Posts will be merged and images will be cut.

Also make sure you have named your dishes or I have to come up with one for you.

Paulky...I see the pancake syrup in the one pic..no idea why it's there....where is the velveeta? Last night was a blur!

What happened to Paul? I thought his entry was going to be here long ago.

SL I love Mongolian Beef! That looks great.

Thanks JayT, and where is the O-H?

Looks delicious, SL! And I love the flower garnish for the rice.

Thanks, Nick, that's all I could come up with for "foo". But it was :mouthonfire: SPICY, so ....mission accomplished!

That whole plate picture was 3+ servings for us. Still have some LEFTOVERS in the refer for lunch tomorrow.

After persusing all kinds of Asian recipes, I kept thinking there had to be a way to fuse some of the flavors and make something at least slightly unique. So after fussin' in the kitchen all day (if you have seen my teaser Frito Pie Cheesecake thread, you'll understand what I mean by all day), here it is:

Geeme's Asian Tribute

Started bright and early with marinating pork tenderloin. Marinade included sesame oil, sake, ginger juice, cayenne powder, fatalii puree, Thai peppers, lemongrass, coconut milk, soy sauce, and garlic. Into the fridge while cheesecake madness ensued.
t01.jpg

Next started the Chinese Bubble Tea. This is the one item I started with a single recipe, then added some grown-up flavor to it.
Start by brewing 1 cup of green tea, then sweeten it with ginger syrup (honey or sugar if you have no ginger syrup.) In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, then add 1/4 cup raw tapioca pearls. (These pearls are larger than the kind you make tapioca pudding with, and can generally be found in Asian markets.) Reduce the heat to a high simmer, and cook 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit in the water 25 minutes more. Drain and rinse with cold water, add to the sweetened tea, then refrigerate until ready to assemble the rest of it.
t02.jpg

Also for the bubble tea, but separate for now, place 2 cups of melon chunks (cantaloup, honeydew, or watermelon), 1 cup orange juice, and 1/4 cup coconut milk. Puree, then stick into the freezer.
t04.jpg

For the rice, start with 3/4 cup coconut milk, then add enough lime juice and ginger juice to make 1 cup of liquid. Add another 3/4 cup of water. Bring to a boil in a sauce pan, add 1 cup of uncooked rice, turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer 25 minutes. When done, remove from heat and add chopped cilantro.
t03.jpg

Wilted bok choy in olive oil, garlic, a touch of lime juice, and thai spice blend.
t05.jpg

Some serious porkage here. Preheat the oven to 500F. Remove tenderloin from marinade and place on roasting rack. Slather with ginger syrup, sprinkle thai spice blend, then liberally sprinkle with sesame seeds. Roast in the oven for 9 minutes, turn over, slather with more ginger syrup, thai spice blend and sesame seeds, then back in the oven for another 9 minutes. Goodness - ain't she a sexy thing?
t06.jpg

To finish off the bubble tea, place half the tea/tapioca mix in the bottom of your cup, add some Zipang sparkling sake, then fill the rest of the glass with the slushy melon mix. Sluuuuuuuurp!
t09.jpg

The plate-up piccy, with my paper friends wishing they could have some:
t07.jpg

Droooooooooolllllllll........
t08.jpg

That deserves another look:
t10.jpg

Wish you were here to share it with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back