• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
If I had one of the 30-50x jewellery loupe things I may be able to get a photo but they are too tiny to really pick up with a normal lens. They appear to have tiny legs though if that helps?? :lol:

Take a sample of the mix and pour some water on them. Check to see if they jump. Last season a bag of Amgrow Seed Raising Mix came chock full of what seemed to be springtails.

They are fungus gnats and if you dont have many and they are contained to one spot the yellow traps will sort them out. The flies lay the eggs in the moist coco but if you catch them all then they cant lay anymore. Also raising pots off the ground for air and letting the mix dry out can also help.

Well there you go Megamoo they have been identified as Fungus Gnats. I don't know if I had a lot or just a small amount but using those Sticky Yellow fly pads I managed to get rid of them. Luckily I haven’t seen them so far this time.

Micca

4 of my newly repotted (4.5litre intermediate pots) chilli's are now calling the balcony their new home both at night and during the day (Due to lack of space inside the house/windowsills).

Hopefully it isn't too cold for them at night (they get full day sun) with minimum temps looking likely of around 7-11 Degrees During the early hours of the morning for the next week. Will this effect them too much?? Bare in mind they they have been placed overnight next to a window for the past 2-3 weeks to try to acclimatise them a little and have been outside each day for the past 2 weeks.

I hope they hold up ok :neutral:

EDIT: This is my areas relative temp information for reference (1-2km away but on the coast still)

lowest this month = 6.9°C 9th
lowest on record = 2.5°C 19th 2007
average this month = 10.7°C -1.1°C
long-term average = 11.8°C
July maximum temperature
highest this month = 22.9°C 4th
highest on record = 26.8°C 21st 1999
average this month = 21.1°C -0.2°C
long-term average = 21.3°C

9/7/11
germination box 1 under fluoros on heat pad in cupboard, had seeds soaked in a 10% bleach for 5mins then soaked in warm chammomile tea for 24hrs then sown into jiffy pellets.
Germination up to Today :
Chocolate T. Scorp 1 out of 6 germinated
Butch T.- 6/8
T. Morouga - 4/10

16/7/11
germination box 2 in hothouse on heating cables and natural sunlight, had seeds soaked in a 10% hydrogen peroxide mix for 5mins then soaked in warm chammomile tea for 24hrs then sown into jiffy pellets
T. Morouga - 0/8
T. Scorp - 2/7*
Cardi Yellow - 6/8*
T. Scorp- 1/8
7 Pot Primo - 2/8
Purple Bhut- 3/6
White 7 Pod- 0/8
7 Pod SR Strain- 0/8
Yellow 7 Pot - 1/8*
Red 7 Pot - 0/5*
Douglah- 0/8
Peach Jolokia- 1/8
Brain Strain- 1/9*
T.Scorp Orange- 4/8*

* means my own saved stock. Good to see the most germination is from my stuff :)

9/7/11
germination box 1 under fluoros on heat pad in cupboard, had seeds soaked in a 10% bleach for 5mins then soaked in warm chammomile tea for 24hrs then sown into jiffy pellets.
Chocolate T. Scorp 1 out of 6 germinated
Butch T.- 6/8
T. Morouga - 4/10

16/7/11
germination box 2 in hothouse on heating cables and natural sunlight, had seeds soaked in a 10% hydrogen peroxide mix for 5mins then soaked in warm chammomile tea for 24hrs then sown into jiffy pellets
T. Morouga - 0/8
T. Scorp - 2/7*
Cardi Yellow - 6/8*
T. Scorp- 1/8
7 Pot Primo - 2/8
Purple Bhut- 3/6
White 7 Pod- 0/8
7 Pod SR Strain- 0/8
Yellow 7 Pot - 1/8*
Red 7 Pot - 0/5*
Douglah- 0/8
Peach Jolokia- 1/8
Brain Strain- 1/9*
T.Scorp Orange- 4/8*

* means my own saved stock. Good to see the most germination is from my stuff :)

Nice work wildfire .,..I wish I had germination rates/speed that you seem to have !!

I am still waiting for my Fatalii and T.Scorp Butch T's from the 10th July and my purple tigers. Everything else has come up and is out and planted into Jiffy Pots.

I have had nothing up from any varieties put down on the 13th or 21st as yet but still early days I suppose.

Although I might get impatient with the three varieties from the 10th July any day and chuck some more seeds down just to hedge my bets. No such thing as too many seedlings IMO.

Woo! My cili. goronong has FINALLY sprouted!
Seedlings are well, I have some more lights. I did buy two more lights but they are way too powerful for the seedlings. So, I directed one to my still-healthy red hut jolokia plant, see if anything happens. :)

Nice work wildfire .,..I wish I had germination rates/speed that you seem to have !!

I am still waiting for my Fatalii and T.Scorp Butch T's from the 10th July and my purple tigers. Everything else has come up and is out and planted into Jiffy Pots.

I have had nothing up from any varieties put down on the 13th or 21st as yet but still early days I suppose.

Although I might get impatient with the three varieties from the 10th July any day and chuck some more seeds down just to hedge my bets. No such thing as too many seedlings IMO.
Thanks Trippa. I'm glad it's all going good now but I'm about 2 months behind of where I wanted to be. Next year I will start even earlier!
Yes still early days for you but hey if you have the room then why not. It doesn't matter if you cant eat all the produce at least your garden will look cool :cool:

Woo! My cili. goronong has FINALLY sprouted!
Seedlings are well, I have some more lights. I did buy two more lights but they are way too powerful for the seedlings. So, I directed one to my still-healthy red hut jolokia plant, see if anything happens. :)
I grew the Goronong this last season. Awesome looking pods.

Well I'll be..... just had a NuMex Twilight pop after sitting in the germ box for like two months. And I was just about it chuck it too!

And some bad news.... mites are definitely back too. In the middle of winter.... c'mon.... REALLY!??

it must have known you were going to throw it out so decided to show its face!

I have mites atm too. Have them on my peach trees out the back, then they made it to a marigold in the hothouse (had it there to ward off pests!), so chucked it now found them on my herbs in there. So got some persimillis bugs being delivered this week, hopefully that will clear them up.

it must have known you were going to throw it out so decided to show its face!
I think so! I was literally just going to chuck it!

I have mites atm too. Have them on my peach trees out the back, then they made it to a marigold in the hothouse (had it there to ward off pests!), so chucked it now found them on my herbs in there. So got some persimillis bugs being delivered this week, hopefully that will clear them up.
I tell ya, so P.O'd right now!

These persimillis bugs you speak of, do they control mites, do they? Never actually heard of 'em, but might have to do some research later!

I hate cleaning but I LOVE the cruisey rent inspection. :cool:
Open the cupboard and let all the farm animals back out to graze :rofl:
Begin construction on the ULTRA 2000 version of the grow shelf.

Good to see you are back into action again Candice.
Nice selection of Hot Chilli to get going too. Good luck with it all.

Micca

Cheers Micca. It's a slow process for me as I have a million interruptions (it took me all day yesterday to mix nutrients test ph & Ec and feed my seedlings!!!) so may not do too much more for myself as I will still have all my plants to look after for the farm and for sale in a couple of months. Might just do my ornamental garden. I'm going to give my garden beds a rest also to try and rejuvenate them. So thinking of weeding, putting down a fungicide, covering with black plastic and then planting a winter crop that you dig back into the garden. I might also move our chooks into the back garden bed and try and use their current home for some of my plants. Sun etc isn't perfect but the soil looks nice and there is plenty of room. the rest I might put in pots on top of the black plastic in the gardeen beds.

Trying to save atm to buy a bigger property in a few years so will be able to practice crop rotation to prevent all the side affects of planting in the same space all the time.

How's your plants going? Did you get around to cleaning up the hothouse? I still want to buy a heater but that one on ebay costs $60 to post so will keep looking. I really need to go outside in the middle of the night and look at my thermometer to see if the heating cables are warming the room much, if so then I might not have to bother. But it is so cold at 3am in the morning cant bring myself to go out there :)

I wandered if the heat coil might warm up the greenhouse. You need one of those weather stations with a remote sensor, it is much easier to look at the temps from inside your heated loungeroom than going out in the crappy weather.
I was to do the Greenhouse last w/end but instead helped to service outboards, clean boats, cast sinkers etc getting ready for Exmouth. We also have a blow up bath tub(Dinghy) that we will use to go up the creeks and stuff. Really looks like shark bait to me but will be interesting. We have some Oars to fend them off! If I don’t make it back alive I’ll leave my Chilli babies in my will for ya :cool:
The greenhouse is on my list for this weekend(all going well).
I did notice that Mazzega's Mitre10 in Kelmscott had something that looked like it would do the job. Also Bunnings but it was 200 bucks!

Sounds like you are going to be very busy as well changing around the garden etc, still it’s worth it in the end.
Saving to move to a larger property sounds great, if it’s big enough maybe you can sublet a bit to someone like me :lol:

Micca

Back