• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
The cups I got are transparent, (didn't think about it until after I potted them up, its not good for the roots to be lit)... anyway you can see moisture in the root zone so they aren't drying out. The way the leaves are turning brown, not just yellow, before dropping off makes me think its a matter of heat from the lights, and no air circulation.

It might be too much light, I don't know what the signs of too much light are but a lot of the leaves and stems have a purple tint to them. I have a Naga Morich seedling with purple cotyledons. It was from a trade so it might be crossed or it might just be light-burnt.

The cups I got are transparent, (didn't think about it until after I potted them up, its not good for the roots to be lit)... anyway you can see moisture in the root zone so they aren't drying out. The way the leaves are turning brown, not just yellow, before dropping off makes me think its a matter of heat from the lights, and no air circulation.

It might be too much light, I don't know what the signs of too much light are but a lot of the leaves and stems have a purple tint to them. I have a Naga Morich seedling with purple cotyledons. It was from a trade so it might be crossed or it might just be light-burnt.
Can you see the roots from the outside yet.... and if so, what colour are they? (a nice healthy white or a sickly looking brown?)

If they are brown, I would say either too much moisture in your medium or perhaps something to do with them damn fungus gnats! (possible root rot)

I would definitely be getting the little guys out into some fresh air ASAP too.....

Purple tint could be a phosphorus deficiency caused by soil pH lockout issues or soil temperature issues (usually too cold though so unlikely) , I don't know if it does in this case but it could be something worth looking at

Purple tint could be a phosphorus deficiency caused by soil pH lockout issues or soil temperature issues (usually too cold though so unlikely) , I don't know if it does in this case but it could be something worth looking at

what about a purple tinge on a purple pepper? :P how can you identify that one? :P

Thanks for all the comments.

Can you see the roots from the outside yet.... and if so, what colour are they? (a nice healthy white or a sickly looking brown?)

If they are brown, I would say either too much moisture in your medium or perhaps something to do with them damn fungus gnats! (possible root rot)

I would definitely be getting the little guys out into some fresh air ASAP too.....
The roots are nice and white.

I saw the purple tint as sunburn a few of them have purple tints on the leaves and stems but with the Naga Morich, I haven't grown one before and thought they had green leaves. So I'm thinking the problem is too much or too intense light compounded by high air temp. I doubt it's any type of deficiency because the chilli focus is supposed to be balanced and the filtered water I use is ph neutral. It might be pH lockout from too much chilli focus + whatever is in the soil. I just got a bunch of ph test strips in the mail for making sauce so I will test everything when I have the time.

If you want to be a smart ass then read this for more common symptoms ;) :lol: (in fact this could be made a sticky for self diagnosis for most people on the forum)

A definitive guide to common plant nutrient deficiencies

Enjoy the read :cool:
I don't want to be a smart ass.... I AM a smart ass ! hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously tho that is some good info but I don't think my plants are old enough to display those sorts of nutrient deficiencies.

First I'll cut the chilli focus for a while, pH test the soil, rig up a fan and check the temps when I can get a thermometer, then I'll see what changes. I might order one of those thermostats from ebay that were mentioned earlier in this thread.

Yeah I hope you can turn around the issues before they get too much worse megamoo ,..best of luck with that.

I haven't had any new arrivals for a couple of days now ... starting to get impatient again ... I am hopeless at the waiting game at the moment ... just so many cool varieties which are not yet up and atom so I am getting all fidgety :lol: Particularly 2 of them the T. Scorpion Butch T's and the Fatalii's ... it is only 13 days since they were put to bed so I can afford to wait a little longer before I get really impatient and put some more down :lol: :beer:

I saw the purple tint as sunburn a few of them have purple tints on the leaves and stems but with the Naga Morich, I haven't grown one before and thought they had green leaves. So I'm thinking the problem is too much or too intense light compounded by high air temp. I doubt it's any type of deficiency because the chilli focus is supposed to be balanced and the filtered water I use is ph neutral. It might be pH lockout from too much chilli focus + whatever is in the soil. I just got a bunch of ph test strips in the mail for making sauce so I will test everything when I have the time.
Once you figure out whatever is causing the purple tint, let me know.... I am getting the same shite at the moment. :(

What this guy said:

I started my seedlings a few weeks back, started with 24 Butch T's and 6 Douglah's, all from Neil. So far, 13 of the Butch T's and 1 Douglah started showing roots poking through the jiffy pellet and got potted up.

They are all indoors under a LED light in my wooden grow box I built with the father-in-law last year. Refreshed the germination chamber with another 6 Douglahs and 6 Barrackpore 7 pot.

I've also been ripping up my plants from the garden beds and topping up with fresh compost from my compost tumbler, some more dynamic lifter, 6 bags of soil and topped with sugar cane mulch. 3 of the garden beds have done, 3 to go, but I'm thinking of leaving the garden bed with the Asian Birdseyes as they still look healthy at this time of year, just no fruit.

Looking to do about 150 or so seedlings if I can find the room, probably plant half, sell the rest if I can find some buyers.

The purpling is definitely not from cold. Since I have removed the screen the temp is not hot and the yellowing and leaf drop is continuing

I just noticed that the seedlings I haven't potted up yet are perfectly healthy and are of the same size as many of the potted up ones. I have been watering them with the same stuff and they are under the same lights... So the main suspect is now the potting mix or perlite.

I have started a new thread about the problem so I don't hijack this one completely.
http://www.thehotpep...post__p__480982

And... I have had some more germinating seeds from the H202 soaked ones.

Chilli Costa Rica which I had very low rates last year with no soaking.
TS Butch T I'm almost 100% on these ones.
No Hot Cherry yet :(

Megamoo iv'e had those pesky little flying thingies hanging around last season in my bookshelf grower. Not too sure what they are but I put in some sticky fly pads that hang there and managed to get rid of them.
Looks like you need some air circulation there too with your seedlings.
Good luck with it.

Micca

Megamoo iv'e had those pesky little flying thingies hanging around last season in my bookshelf grower. Not too sure what they are but I put in some sticky fly pads that hang there and managed to get rid of them.
Looks like you need some air circulation there too with your seedlings.
Good luck with it.

Micca
They are fungus gnats and if you dont have many and they are contained to one spot the yellow traps will sort them out. The flies lay the eggs in the moist coco but if you catch them all then they cant lay anymore. Also raising pots off the ground for air and letting the mix dry out can also help.

Surprise surprise I have a question ... in my newest bag of potting mix (purchased the same time as my last bag which was fine) I noticed that it contained heaps of these tiny white centipede/larvae type things which sort of scurry away when you disturb the soil but also kind of flick/jump around ?? (if that makes sense), they are tiny as in <=1mm length and they don't appear to be the same as the fungus gnat larvae pictures I have seen??

Any idea what they may be? Next watering's I may just use a neem solution with the fert/seaweed emulsion just to give them a hurry on in case they are something dodgy

Back