• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wayrights 2eleven

Wow those are looking incredible Kevin! :cool:

And so that's how ya grow yer C. galapagoense and C. tovari...great job on those two as well.

I can see that you're looking like more of a contender than a pretender with your pepper grow... ;) :rofl: :rofl:

And another great looking update to your.....

....wait for it..............................

.......................................Grow Log! :lol: :rofl: :cool:

dvg
Hahaa You crack me up Doug! :rofl:
Thanks for the Comments!

Wow, beauty! Some of those with the long stems don't even seem to need support. How much "fan time" do they get and how often do you get em outside?

So if no nutes applied yet, what you got for growing medium in there? (Not counting those biodegradable pots LOL.)
Siliman , thanks man!
They dont get any fan time, but they did have about 4 days outside last week!
Thats why you see all the pine pollen on the leaves!

And I just use mostly generic seed starter, I add a lil fungi to it.
Thats it!

Kevin

Reactions: dvg
Hey Kevin really great looking plants, just not in to all the wilds like so many this year. It amazes me that people can grow many plant like that ander simple floros with no nutes what so ever. What gets me is that is so against your norm using growth stimulators when they get outside, but seeing the size of your plants you don't need any voodoo. Those plants are as good as they get just know that when they move outside they never look so good again. The hardening off process is painful but makes for tough plants, left mine outrside in this latest cold rain. All looks great and very happy to see you grow progress in pics. Growing season just around the bend, hope to trade many peppers with you in the fall. Very nice. :onfire:

Great Looking Plants Great Job. have been reading some old farmers papers about calcium and the importance of hitting your plants heavy at the transition time with it so when they blossom its their for there use. I'm going to try it to see if makes a difference Lots of GOOD luch on this years grow.

Hey Kevin really great looking plants, just not in to all the wilds like so many this year. It amazes me that people can grow many plant like that ander simple floros with no nutes what so ever. What gets me is that is so against your norm using growth stimulators when they get outside, but seeing the size of your plants you don't need any voodoo. Those plants are as good as they get just know that when they move outside they never look so good again. The hardening off process is painful but makes for tough plants, left mine outrside in this latest cold rain. All looks great and very happy to see you grow progress in pics. Growing season just around the bend, hope to trade many peppers with you in the fall. Very nice. :onfire:
Thank you Cappy!
I am growing the wilds this year mostly because they eluded me last year!
I really dont like the taste of some wilds I have grown,But you know,,I gotta try everything!! :lol:
I thought I had em mostly hardened last week, but several days indoors I know I will hafta do it again!
I didnt show alot of my peppers,
But my Brain Strains are doing excellent! I saved some of the prettiest pods last year for seed!
Thanks again man! I cant wait to see some of them monster fish again this year!!

Kevin

Great Looking Plants Great Job. have been reading some old farmers papers about calcium and the importance of hitting your plants heavy at the transition time with it so when they blossom its their for there use. I'm going to try it to see if makes a difference Lots of GOOD luch on this years grow.
Lemme know how that calcium treatment works for ya Al!
I had a few huge plants last year that waited forever to push out pods!
Thanks for the compliments!

Kevin

And I just use mostly generic seed starter, I add a lil fungi to it.
Thats it!

Excellent, thanks! I've been messing with Pro Mix as an additive to some generic starter mix. The P-Mix touts mycorrhizae additives which might be similar to your fungi. It's been working quite well for my last round of starts, but I did use nutes.

Thanks for your log, it has a lot a interesting angles. The early shots showing trays holding 50 pots per flat for starters very helpful. That's a better number, I think, than the 72-cells many use. Would give the babies more time before their first move, especilly if they are enjoying the fungi mix.

Also, I think the advantage of 'slow growing' you mentioned is overlooked, as most prefer the fast, massive growth.

And of course, you got that nice Georgia sunshine already (unfair advantage.... :cool: ) Good luck ongoing.

Plants are looking great. :cool:

I picked up some of those biodegradable pots when I ran out of the square plastic ones I was using, the Jiffy ones. I wasn't prepared for how quickly they dry out compared to plastic ones. My plants in the plastic ones don't dry out enough to wilt for ~6 days, the ones in the Jiffy pots shriveled up in about 3 days. I wasn't paying close enough attention and lost a few seedlings. Oops. :lol:

Hi Kev, your plants are looking great, I too advocate not pushing babies too much, I reckon it makes for stronger plants in the end. That is of course if your growing season is long enough, if not "you gotta do what you gotta do" to get chillies/peppers.
Hope it all grows well for you my friend.
PS my Donne Sali's are podding so as you can actually see the pods now. I knew That there were pods there but they were so tiny and they didnt jump out at you like the big chillies do.

Excellent, thanks! I've been messing with Pro Mix as an additive to some generic starter mix. The P-Mix touts mycorrhizae additives which might be similar to your fungi. It's been working quite well for my last round of starts, but I did use nutes.

Thanks for your log, it has a lot a interesting angles. The early shots showing trays holding 50 pots per flat for starters very helpful. That's a better number, I think, than the 72-cells many use. Would give the babies more time before their first move, especilly if they are enjoying the fungi mix.

Also, I think the advantage of 'slow growing' you mentioned is overlooked, as most prefer the fast, massive growth.

And of course, you got that nice Georgia sunshine already (unfair advantage.... :cool: ) Good luck ongoing.

The amount of Mychorrizae in pro mix is minut in my opinion!
I buy my own Mycho granules,they are fairly cheap and I can add alot if I want to!

This may not be popular to say out loud but,
Ferts kill the mycho, so if you use pro mix and ferts the mycho is dead!
Tilling also kills mycho, so transplanting kills it unless you pot up to more mycho! :lol:

The Ga sunshine has been hiding for awhile :(

Kevin

Plants are looking great. :cool:

I picked up some of those biodegradable pots when I ran out of the square plastic ones I was using, the Jiffy ones. I wasn't prepared for how quickly they dry out compared to plastic ones. My plants in the plastic ones don't dry out enough to wilt for ~6 days, the ones in the Jiffy pots shriveled up in about 3 days. I wasn't paying close enough attention and lost a few seedlings. Oops. :lol:
Thank you Tyler!
Yea I like the disposability of the peat pots!
They do need to be watered more compared to plastic, but once you get down how much they need it is really easy as far as bottom watering ,and moving them around!
:beer:

Kevin

Hi Kev, your plants are looking great, I too advocate not pushing babies too much, I reckon it makes for stronger plants in the end. That is of course if your growing season is long enough, if not "you gotta do what you gotta do" to get chillies/peppers.
Hope it all grows well for you my friend.
PS my Donne Sali's are podding so as you can actually see the pods now. I knew That there were pods there but they were so tiny and they didnt jump out at you like the big chillies do.
Thats great Marc, they really are small!
and truly hot! :lol:
My main reason for growing slow is indoor lighting! I dont wanna outgrow my lights!
Once they get outdoors its a whole new ballgame!
Thanks man!

The amount of Mychorrizae in pro mix is minut in my opinion!
I buy my own Mycho granules,they are fairly cheap and I can add alot if I want to!

This may not be popular to say out loud but,
Ferts kill the mycho, so if you use pro mix and ferts the mycho is dead!
Tilling also kills mycho, so transplanting kills it unless you pot up to more mycho! :lol:

Dang, just when I thought I found the holy grail of starting mix... More to think about... :cool: Will definitely check out the Mycho you mentioned.

So you think even the 'organic' fert products (has these ingredients listed: fishmeal, bird guano, kelp, rock phosphate, and some carbonates)will kill off the cool fungi?

Also, what is your game plan for your final pot-up or planting outside regarding use of some nutes then? Continue with the fungi and things like compost, teas, etc?

Once again, appreciate your posts. Sure gives more appreciation for growin wild ones.

what is your game plan for your final pot-up or planting outside regarding use of some nutes then? Continue with the fungi and things like compost, teas, etc?

Once again, appreciate your posts. Sure gives more appreciation for growin wild ones.
Well , I am not an organic gardener by any means! Just the opposite in fact.
as you can prolly tell from some other members posts! :lol:

So once mine leave the nest, they get stuck out in a full sun garden!
Then I start with the nutes! :dance:

and I cant wait!! :lol:

Kevin

Well , I am not an organic gardener by any means! Just the opposite in fact.
as you can prolly tell from some other members posts! :lol:

So once mine leave the nest, they get stuck out in a full sun garden!
Then I start with the nutes! :dance:

and I cant wait!! :lol:

Kevin

And I can't wait to see what kind of mutant, monster tree stump-sized trunks Dr. Wayright will be able to conjure up outta the ground this year with his secret Black Bag of powders, potions, and special plant elixirs...kinda like Santeria...

...but without all the mess and fuss of that whole chicken thing goin' on there. :eek: :cool: :rofl:

dvg

And I can't wait to see what kind of mutant, monster tree stump-sized trunks Dr. Wayright will be able to conjure up outta the ground this year with his secret Black Bag of powders, potions, and special plant elixirs...kinda like Santeria...

...but without all the mess and fuss of that whole chicken thing goin' on there. :eek: :cool: :rofl:

dvg
Hey Doug , Dont rule out a sacrificial chicken!!
I make a darn fine wing sauce! :rofl:

Kevin

Wow Kevin, your wilds sure have grown in just the last two weeks. They're lookin great!

Now you say you're going in the ground with em? Are you gonna try to overwinter any of them? I hate the thought of those beauties dying, and it's only the end of March! :lol:

Man, you're growin plants I've never heard of! Off to do some research!

Lookin good - keep up the good work! :woohoo:

Wow Kevin, your wilds sure have grown in just the last two weeks. They're lookin great!

Now you say you're going in the ground with em? Are you gonna try to overwinter any of them? I hate the thought of those beauties dying, and it's only the end of March! :lol:

Man, you're growin plants I've never heard of! Off to do some research!

Lookin good - keep up the good work! :woohoo:
Thanks Rick!
Yea they will go in the ground with the troops! :lol:
Last year was my first overwinter of a C Ciliatum that never podded.
But it is looking really nice now!
The only way I will even bother to overwinter these plants is if I dont get pods for seed!
:cool: Alot of the ones I am growin are new to me too!
Thanks again brother! If ya see anything that peaks your interest just lemme know! :cheers:

Kevin

This past week has been great weather , except for the Monday storm that blew down trees all over the city!
No damage here tho! :pray:

I am starting to get my garden ready, This Ga red clay is fun stuff! :rofl:

4-7-11backofgarden.jpg

So I got to put my plants out for their first overnight stay last night!
They are digging it!
They still arent completely hardened yet!

4-7-11seedlings.jpg

And some of these seedlings are screaming to get into the dirt!

4-7-11seedlinga.jpg

The wilds are very fussy when it comes to hardening!
20 minutes and they gotta go back in the shade for 20!
Bigtime back n forth!
But I will win this fight! :party:

4-7-11wilds.jpg

Finally a pic of my overwintered Ciliatum.
I just trimmed it back about 3 weeks ago , the tiny leaves are growing like crazy!

4-7-11Ciliatum.jpg

I hope to get them all hardened off completely by the end of the week!

:cheers:

Kevin

Back