• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Throwdown Smacktalk

Okay - borrowing a crown for a few minutes was fun, but my own art suits me better. I'll earn that crown in September, and the newbs will win!

Pi - GO FOR IT! :onfire:

well, that makes no sense! Saying "I'm gonna win" and the cheering on Pi?!?!?

I encourage ALL my team members (but of course, a double-shot of encouragement for one who's been on THP for so long and yet never managed to enter a TD!)

well, that makes no sense! Saying "I'm gonna win" and the cheering on Pi?!?!?

http://www.getprice.com.au/images/uploadimg/881/350__1_604092-1.jpg

just getting limbered up, I think this will get a lot of use in a couple weeks~

I already have a damn good idea about what I'm going to make for this next t-down.

That only leaves me a good THREE WEEKS to get ready. :rofl:

All of you T-down rookies, just remember the six throwdown "P's";

--Practice
--Patience
--Preparation
--Presentation
--Photography
--Paul will win

Paul, you did such a lovely job in the August throwdown. Amazing, in fact. Really amazing, for one who needs as much practice as you do! But hold tight - the newbs are gonna sweep that crown right off yo' head!

Okay, you guys did it. I am officially inspired. Haven't pulled out a grill since the fire in L.A. - admittedly, it was my porch and my grill, but not my fire. I had never before seen a grill engulfed in flames on the outside, but there it was. I did manage to find the where-with-all to get close enough to slap the lid on it and extinguish the flames before the buiding lit up, but I'm still not sure how I accomplished that. The paint completely blistered off the grill, the handles melted, and a rather large circle of soot was left on the top of the porch, but no one got hurt. And, of course, I never allowed that guest to try to cook at my place again!

But you know what they say - no guts, no glory. Burgers should be done on a grill. Period. So I am now the owner of a nice, unburned grill, and I gave it a burger-less spin tonight. Y'all should be shakin' and quakin' in your shoes - thanks for the inspiration!

This thread is soooo funny! Ya'll are talkin' smack about one crown..... I got 3 crowns!

... earned one at a time over what period? You've been on this board since '07, sweetie boy, that's only one a year. What you been draggin' yo feet for??? :eek:
Frydad, on the other hand, is my hero.... we newbs gotta make 'im proud!

... earned one at a time over what period? You've been on this board since '07, sweetie boy, that's only one a year. What you been draggin' yo feet for??? :eek:
Frydad, on the other hand, is my hero.... we newbs gotta make 'im proud!

I had a hand in starting the throwdowns.... you got nothing amigo! Where's your pic's for anything?

He he he he he this is fun, you guys fully are :rofl:. I still don't even know what the rules are except that we gotta make some food thats hot and must be the same theme (right?).

In regards to winning a Crown LOOOOOL I can't even cook but hell I love competition and I love smack talk or Sledging if ya like Cricket. It's more fun getting other people to battle me and enjoy the whole experience of a new challenge.

Noob or Non Noob ya gotta admit the more the merrier, Oh the joy we shall have, we shall sup ale and remember wars won/lost, bottoms burnt, belly aches and dummy's spat.

I don't expect any votes but would like to make some great new mates and learn some new recipes while I am at it. :beer:

I had a hand in starting the throwdowns.... you got nothing amigo! Where's your pic's for anything?

Pics of my babies:
Cayenne, before the last few ripened, maybe a week or so ago. 18" tall.
P1000016b.JPG

Jalapeno, this morning. 12" tall.
jalapeno%2020100815.JPG

No pics of the TAMs - I keep eatin' them, 'cause it's just too fun!

He he he he he this is fun, you guys fully are :rofl:. I still don't even know what the rules are except that we gotta make some food thats hot and must be the same theme (right?).

In regards to winning a Crown LOOOOOL I can't even cook but hell I love competition and I love smack talk or Sledging if ya like Cricket. It's more fun getting other people to battle me and enjoy the whole experience of a new challenge.

Noob or Non Noob ya gotta admit the more the merrier, Oh the joy we shall have, we shall sup ale and remember wars won/lost, bottoms burnt, belly aches and dummy's spat.

I don't expect any votes but would like to make some great new mates and learn some new recipes while I am at it. :beer:

Well Joey, that attitude might have actually gotten you a vote or two on your first throwdown. That's the spirit!

But, alas, amigo, you have aligned yourself with the enemy and will be properly trounced with the rest of the upstarts.

(sigh) and to think he had such potential~~~~~

Aw, well.....
another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust..........

pssst! Joey, all is not lost! You can still come back from the Lost Side, grovel for forgiveness and put up your best dish in the throwdown with a fair shot at winning!

Pics of my babies:

where's your food pics??!? You can't enter a FOOD competition with pics of a BUSH!

Well Joey, that attitude might have actually gotten you a vote or two on your first throwdown. That's the spirit!

But, alas, amigo, you have aligned yourself with the enemy and will be properly trounced with the rest of the upstarts.

(sigh) and to think he had such potential~~~~~

Aw, well.....
another one bites the dust, another one bites the dust..........

pssst! Joey, all is not lost! You can still come back from the Lost Side, grovel for forgiveness and put up your best dish in the throwdown with a fair shot at winning!

LoL I side with nobody, I am the lone gunman (Clint Eastwood)

Pics of my babies:
P1000016b.JPG

jalapeno%2020100815.JPG

That's what you got? bwahahahahahahahahahaha.....I wipe my ass with hotter than that!

Throwdowns occur the first weekend of every month, starting when THP says "go" on Friday (EST), ending 48 hours later on Sunday. The rules are posted in advance of each throwdown. Basically, from what I've learned so far, THP tells you what you need to make, but you decide how you're going to make it. There is an "evidence" rule - you have to take pictures proving that you made your dish for the specific throwdown at hand. For the August throwdown, it was ten cents. Didn't matter if it was a dime, ten pennies, two nickels, or a nickel and five pennies, but ten cents had to be in your pics (currency type doesn't matter, either.) You're asked for a "teaser" pic - one showing the collection of proposed ingredients, which should include the required evidence. Then you also have to post your final entry pic - your completed scrumptuous dish along with more evidence. You can post more pics - the steps in between for example - but they're not necessary. The "recipe" has to be included along with the pic(s) of your final post, but note that measurements are not required. Also know that your final recipe may or may not use all the ingredients from the teaser pic - it's okay to change your mind about something!

As posted elsewhere {sheepish grin here}, your dish could feasibly not taste wonderful - presentation (making it look pretty) is an important component, since no one gets to taste-test. However, those of us who know our way around the kitchen will have an idea if your ingredients make sense or not, culinarily speaking. If the kitchen seems like a totally foreign place to you, I recommend finding some recipes either online or in cookbooks or cooking magazines as a starting point. Cooking shows are also a great place to pick up some tips. While I'm at a point where I can now make up many recipes on-the-fly, I still drag out the books from time to time, then modify the recipe I've chosen to make it my own. Start by making the recipe as-is, so you understand what goes into it, then think about what you might be able to do to make it better or different, then make it again, this time with your modifications. There is an art to this (particularly so with baked goods, although meats and veggies are pretty forgiving), so try "minor" modifications first. For example, my son will take a basic brownie recipe, then start adding cayenne, cinnamon, etc. to it, so it tastes like he wants it.

Okay, THP, did I do this justice?

That's what you got? bwahahahahahahahahahaha.....I wipe my ass with hotter than that!

I'm sure you do. But we all gotta start somewhere. The short story is that I'll be ordering plants online for the next season. Keep in mind, though, that while this is all I found in my current area to grow at the time (lots and lots of freakin' bells were available), I'm also a Tejas native - doesn't mean I haven't eaten hotter'n that in my time! A any rate, my Tejas brag is still bigger'n yours, and rightfully so!

Back