• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Seafood Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came across the throwdowns (newbie to the site) - wish I had come across them sooner, as we made killer tilapia last night for dinner! Ah well, I'll have to give it a try next month.

In the meanwhile, you guys who have posted so far this month are fixin' some awsome-looking dishes - Hoo-ya!

Alright here we go

I changed my idea at the last minute because I didnt want to make a boatload of food since JayT and I are going to a BBQ today, so I just did something for myself for lunch, and I have to admit, it turned out better than expected

Coconut Ginger Sauteed Shrimp and Lump Crab with Garden Veggie Pastries

Most of my ingredients, I added stuff to the pan as I was going along like I always do
DSC_0175.jpg

Shrimp and crab meat simmering in diced habanero, coconut milk, fresh ground ginger powder, lime juice, and applewood smoked sea salt

Pastries are stuffed with corn from the neighbors garden and tomatoes and oregano from my garden, all picked this morning thanks to my mother. I ended up topping them in slivers of left over shrimp and dusting them with a tad of Defcon Smokey Seasoning

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

heres my shot with the money

unbeknownst to me one of the pennies had slid under the plate, please dont kill me

DSC_0184.jpg

and I was messing around with some tablecloths for backgrounds and took this one, if the lighting had been a little more direct on the plate I think it would have looked pretty cool

DSC_0185.jpg

FOUL!!! Those are old pics from the 9-cent "seafood cocktail throwdown" we did in 1997!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Looks amazing wheebz! Damn dude, you took the foo to a new level. Edible flowers, curly lime peels, smeary stuff on the plate....wow!!!!!

Hope you and JT have fun today! FOOTBALL STARTS TONIGHT!!!! BTW, there is a PA-Posse now, and it is a formidable and worthy (and friendly) foe for the soflo peeps.
TB, move to Miami!!

GEEME, hope to see you the first friday of next month, that is when the throwdowns start. Check the discussions and dont forget to vote later tonight or tomorrow!!! Glad you found this, home of the worlds finest cuisine!
Check drunken chef too! You will like it!

wheebz.....get outta' town with that foo foo. You've been hangin' around Jay too much. He's a bad influence dontcha' know. Now having said that...

Gimme' those shrimps!!

FOUL!!! Those are old pics from the 9-cent "seafood cocktail throwdown" we did in 1997!!!!!!!

Just kidding. Looks amazing wheebz! Damn dude, you took the foo to a new level. Edible flowers, curly lime peels, smeary stuff on the plate....wow!!!!!

Hope you and JT have fun today! FOOTBALL STARTS TONIGHT!!!! BTW, there is a PA-Posse now, and it is a formidable and worthy (and friendly) foe for the soflo peeps.
TB, move to Miami!!

GEEME, hope to see you the first friday of next month, that is when the throwdowns start. Check the discussions and dont forget to vote later tonight or tomorrow!!! Glad you found this, home of the worlds finest cuisine!
Check drunken chef too! You will like it!

Fitty....I would dearly love to move to SoFlo! Ain't no dadgum fishin' here in the big dry ditch. Last time I was down in Marathon fishing I had a lobster reuben and conch fritters from one of the local joints. Have mercy! I think I just shed a tear.....

Wow, in my short time here these are certainly some of the best dishes I've seen, but I love seafood. Gonna be a tough vote tonight. Thanks everybody for sharing. When are we gonna get smellavision????

Wow, in my short time here these are certainly some of the best dishes I've seen, but I love seafood. Gonna be a tough vote tonight. Thanks everybody for sharing. When are we gonna get smellavision????

Logchief, I don't want smellavision until every house has a transporter pad so I can taste the stuff also. It's bad enough just looking at the pictures, but to have to Smell it and not be able to TASTE it?!?!?

I don't think I could handle that! :rofl:

Can you imagine a throwdown where we have to cook enough to share via transporter with the first 5 people who say "DIBS"!
:lol:

it'll be a tough decision on which to vote for, they all look great!
DTS definently wins the foo-foo award, so far TB has the best drink of all posted here :beer:

Got back early from Louisville...(long story).....but I'm gonna give this seafood T-down a whirl.....

Here's a teaser.....

100_1615.jpg

(I'll have the .10 in the remaining photos later....)

Gotta go....the Kingsford ain't gonna light itself!!! ;)

***Thanks for the cheese idea, THP!!! :woohoo:

Frydad's Snapper A'La-Nova

Bad news on the manatee steaks. Had to be a catch and release...this time. Turns out she wasn't big enough to keep.

Instead, I'm going for a traditional jamaican Escovich style entree, with my own twist. Nova sent me some aji lemon seeds a year or so ago. I was a newbie, and surprised that someone from so far away would send cool-ass seeds to a stranger far far away free of charge. This was the kind of generosity and awesomeness that has endeared me to this place. Me and Sum and 5-O have been growing them, and this is the first time I have cooked with them publicly. As a thank you, his name graces the title of the dish. I need a tissue.

Heres a teaser. Hope it's done in time.

P1030849.jpg

Wholly Moly Paulky, what a spread. That's gonna be a lot of work, but how can you go wrong with King Crab.

SL what we need is a Star Trek replicator for each entry to try :cool:

Paulky where da dime????

Logchief! That's IT! The replicator, not the transporter! :rofl:

And after Pauly's teaser pic, I'm embarrassed to post my entry. But I'll do it anyway, just to keep the competition going.

THP- Paulky said the .10 was coming in the nest pics.

Oh okay. I didn't know if it was in that pic somewhere under that month's worth of food. Crab boil!

Fresh Northwest Steelhead and Peppers

The ingredients- simple as it can get-
Fresh NW steelhead
garden fresh fatalii and ???(serrano-esque) peppers
shrimp
homemade horseradish (from the garden) in the cocktail sauce
fresh pico de gallo
corn on the cob grilled with butter and Texas Creek Southwest Spice Mix

100_4000.jpg

fresh from the pepper patch chiles and my only little fatalii. Awww, ain't it CUTE?!?

100_4001.jpg

Salsakid was helping in the kitchen and on the grill for this one. And Salsadude helped out with the steelhead. The fatalii and one of the ???peppers got minced and simmered in the butter with garlic. Check out the LUV on this baby!
100_4005.jpg

Mixed up the cocktail sauce for the shrimp- just a basic catsup, lemon juice and garden horseradish. YOWZA! That clears out the sinuses!
100_4002.jpg

The Money Shots-

100_4010.jpg

100_4012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back