• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Seafood Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say that Tuna is the Chicken of the sea... Could manatee be considered the cow of the sea? <-- Not sure if my morals are down for that dish.

If tuna is the chicken of the sea: then chicken is the tuna of the land.
Manatee is a sea-cow, therefore a cow is a land-manatee.
Correct, sum. I don't see where morals come into play. It's simple logic.
Dolphin up, sea-cowboy! (nothing weird)

FD- Your logic is nothing but bullet proof. F the morals and lets throwdown on some manatee steaks!

I can see your sea-monkey from here mister mini-trouser trout.

what the????

All I know is TB promised to offer up some "chicken of the SOY"...........

And my fish monger ROCKS! Considering we live 350 miles inland, our local grocer kicks butt when it comes to bringing in the fresh stuff..........

:dance: oh yeah! :dance:

Chicken of the Soy...(I haffff to laugh)

TB- I have faith that your talisman of the sea will not lead you astray. Just follow your inner "pescador" intuition... may your footsteps fall in the wave-washed remnants of the great ones that walked the sands before you.

TB will be fine, he has a hippy grocery store with a great seafood department. Me on the other hand... getting worried. Wish I could head to the bay tomorrow for some stripers.

TB- These sacred leaves only grow at certain altitudes and latitudes. Don't climb too high, nor too far north. Seek the seer of "all things salmon that are Alaskan crab crusted" and you shall have found yourself moments away from Nirvana... so goes the prophecy of leaves of paradise... from what I've deciphered.

Boutros- good luck on the catchin'. I think yellowtail in SoFlo is a different fish than SoCal's. Our's are snappers... and delicious. I don't know anything about Pacific yellowtail. Fingers crossed, I'll reel in a yellowtail's cousin or two tomorrow morning, and be sportin' a bad-ass reverse raccoon tan. Hope you do the same.

Cheers!

I am drunk and soooo cooked. I have to rethink my shrimp burritos's. Damn you SoFloPosse! I see a crown in your future maybe...or NOT!

It's all good, TB! Just break out that soyfood on the grill and it's a Smashdown fo'sho!

:kiss: xoxo

Good morning ya'll. Figured I'd get up early to go hoodwink and bamboozle some Mangrove snappers out of the ol' SoFlo Posse honey hole this morning. As luck should have it, high tide happens to be ~7:30am today. Tight lines to all the other fisher-folk.

Where are the Aussies this throwdown?

My plan is slowly coming together for this one. It will be a three pronged attack. Kind of like muliple courses I guess. Should I serve it all on the same plate? Hmmm. Gonna have to think about that.

My plan is slowly coming together for this one. It will be a three pronged attack. Kind of like muliple courses I guess. Should I serve it all on the same plate? Hmmm. Gonna have to think about that.

The Boss said "1 dish", so I'm erring on the side of caution and presenting 1 plate, as in what 1 person has on their dinner plate.

For ya'lls entertainment while we wait for someone to post first. Here's a picture of me doing some early morning grocery shopping.

IMG_2397.jpg

Uh oh... :cool:

...if you put an apple in the manatee's mouth before tossing it on the grill, you can call it roasted sea pig! ;)

Ok I guess I'll get this party started , here's a teaser pic just to get things going

teaser2-1.jpg

Oh yeah... snapper number one ready to go on the grill stuffed with lemons herbs and some fresh Congo Blacks :)

teaser3.jpg

time to go work on phase 2!

Ok gettin the sauce started, here we got lots of garlic and some chopped up harolds st bart habs and a bishops crown in there as well
sauce1.jpg

Got some coconut milk and shrimp added to da mix (and threw a shot of brandy in there as well)
sauce2.jpg

ended up finishing the sauce off by adding some red curry paste, heavy cream, tarragon, and simmering it down for a bit, heres the final product.......

Florida Seafood Feast w/ Coconut Red Curry Sauce

Ingredients:
Yellowtail Snapper
Florida Lobster
Shrimp
Coconut Milk
Olive Oil
Thai Red Curry Paste
Fish Sauce
Harold's St Bart Habs
Black Congo Habs
Bishops Crown
Sea Salt
Cracked Peppercorns
Fresh Garlic
Fresh Tarragon
Fresh Basil
Heavy Cream
Shot of Brandy
Lemons
Parsley
Paprika
Cayenne Powder

final1.jpg

Way to go Wicked! Let's see... Yellowtail... nailed it! Shrimp... good call. Florida lobster that just came into season yesterday unless this guy was harvested previously during those two days of mini-season... double trew! You're doing south FLA right so far.

Damn wicked, that looks nice. Here is mine.

Teaser:
DSCF0037.jpg

Ingredients:
Scallops
Prawns
Bacon
Fennel
Baby red hot Chili (hottest i can get at the moments :( )
Lime
Olive Oil
Garlic
Ginger
Coriander
Basmati Rice
Pepper
10c

Method:
2 Cloves of Garlic, Lime zest, olive oil, garlic, ginger and Chili crushed in Mortar and pestle. This is rubbed on prawns and scallops for a marinade. Scallops are zig zagged between bacon on a skewer
DSCF0040.jpg

They are then cooked on the BBQ
DSCF0043.jpg

Prawns are cooked in a pan, then folded into rice. Rice with prawns is served onto plate and skewers are place on top. Garnish with Coriander and chili.

Hand Held HeavenWith prawn rice
DSCF0047.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back