event 2012 Zestfest Pics and stories

I thought that may have been the case. For the record, many are already aware of this, CaJohn is one of the kindest, most generous, and helpful individuals you will meet in the Chilehead world. 15 years of experience and all the stories to go with it. He has probably helped more small sauce makers with his insights and knowledge of the industry and potential pitfalls. I love hanging out with him. Unfortunately, I only get the opportunity a couple times a year. He has been very successful, but it is still a family business. You don't have to take my word for it, ask the other sauce vendors. Everyone who knows him, loves him, and his krewe.

Shame I didn't meet you there Dr P =( welcome to the club!

No doubt, but you didn't miss anything... I got nothing. EXCEPT for a few opinions.... and they be controversial. Since I'm new, I don't really have any alliances or agendas (other than I like Sicman, and I'm wearing his t-sheet across N. Texas). Hey, my fresh (well, new) brain:

Defcon Creator: I think he's done a masterful job. His product is fantastic, but that's only a part. I watched the interview on the website with Creator and some NJ spare in his cable-access basement. Creator (John?) impressed me, but it was probably b/c we're somewhat kindred geek finance guys. I'm a Controller. I have a minor in marketing, who cares... but any consumer can recognize the power and allure of Defcon. He's got an discernible NICHE. Victory. But new frontiers await...

As far as Salsalady, my HUMBLE opinion is not as favorable. Don't get me wrong... her products are TOP-NOTCH. But, I don't know... the BRAND. "Texas Creek" sounds like a solid, middling, $7.99 bottle of wine from Lubbock or the Hill Country that you can buy at every grocery store. If I'm purchasing salsa or hot sauce at my grocery shelf... seems sort of haughty and lacking of punch, I guess it depends upon your scope and goals. I don't mean to offend anyone, just my two cents!!

Boy, you sure have a lot to say dr. First off who the hell are you? Are you some sort of reviewer?
"you don't mean to offend anyone"? Does that disclaimer give you permission to skewer people? NOT.
You don't get to make comments here in that tone about any ones brand, especially Salsalady's.
Remember the saying, If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
I for one would appreciate it if you would follow it when posting your drivel here at THP.

everyone else...
Now keep posting pics and stories of the happs going on a ZF!

As far as Salsalady, my HUMBLE opinion is not as favorable. Don't get me wrong... her products are TOP-NOTCH. But, I don't know... the BRAND. "Texas Creek" sounds like a solid, middling, $7.99 bottle of wine from Lubbock or the Hill Country that you can buy at every grocery store. If I'm purchasing salsa or hot sauce at my grocery shelf... seems sort of haughty and lacking of punch, I guess it depends upon your scope and goals. I don't mean to offend anyone, just my two cents!!

Boy, you sure have a lot to say dr. First off who the hell are you? Are you some sort of reviewer?
"you don't mean to offend anyone"? Does that disclaimer give you permission to skewer people? NOT.
You don't get to make comments here in that tone about any ones brand, especially Salsalady's.
Remember the saying, If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?
I for one would appreciate it if you would follow it when posting your drivel here at THP.
Not cool at all..... What gives you the right to blast the man for speaking his opinion? This thread is for pics and stories right? That's his story for the show. He didn't blast Salsalady, just said the "brand" didn't stick out to him. I may not agree either, but its his opinion and it need not be blasted by you.

I just slathered some fried white-meat chicken with the Cajohn Trinidad Scorpion BBQ sauce. The initial taste was fantastic, but now I'm sitting here... protected, warm, comfy.... and drooling like an infant. It's a flashback to the 80's, doing 'shrooms in college. Why do we do this?! Yea, I'm sure my endorphin's are flooding into my brain, but there's also a juvenile sentiment of "let's do it again! Do it again!". What is wrong with me?

Scoville deVille... like I said, I'm not bagging on anyone. I was giving my opinion on Zestfest. Salsalady is a sweetheart and her products are SPOT ON. "Who the hell am I"? Nobody! And maybe I'm not the greatest fit here. I'm an amateur chile-head entrepreneur-probably-never. Sorry that I have so many opinions... maybe that's not what this board is about. I apologize and I'll see if I have any safe opening to add two (worthless) cents. I was at Zestfest, unlike many here and I have observations. I'd love to "fit in", but if that's not what y'all do, let me know and I'll cease and desist.

Okokok I take it back, It just got under my skin, because I know SL, and her brand is everywhere, around here.
Comparing Texas Creek brand to cheap wine didn't really sit well with me Sorry.

Edit: PS she actually lives near an actual creek called Texas Creek, actually, HA! FYI

Ok, truce :halo: I hope her brand soon becomes big here too, she has great stuff! Not gonna touch the extract of evilness though........ :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :mouthonfire: :rofl:

Man this sucks, wish I was out there again today. I wonder if we could get DefCon to set up a webcam next year at his booth of horrors. I didn't think to check my phone for a wifi signal :snooty:

What? Just one little drop on the tongue? HAHAHAHAHA
Great in soups....

Ps, it's not an extract, it's pure capsaicin crystal. :licks lips:

Yes, truce!! This thread is about Zestfest.... these are fledgling companies wanting to be the next CaJohns... or Pace Picante... Tabasco Sauce, "Texas Pete". They have fantastic products, but they need to break through. I want to go to my local Albertson's and buy Salsalady's goodness... in mass quantities! I just made the observation about BRANDING. And how her awesome products might get a foothold. It's just my opinion, as a consumer.

woohoo me and mofo man!
IMAG1710-1.jpg

EM, Hahahahahahah I could tell better if you sent me some,.... In a jar!

WoW Sicman, I knew you wer hotter than a mofo, but who's that dude next to you sportin an orange bandana? Hahaha

Nice, I like truces, Dr. I'm just pissed off because I'm not there, just my opinion, lol

I'm wearing my Sicman t-shirt... and I hope people are noticing. If I had a "Scoville DeVille" shirt, I would do the same!

I just want y'all to succeed and have your products readily available to me.

The crazy thing about the Sicman t-shirt is the color... it's not white... it's not colored... it's sort of yellow'ish.... like yeast or fungi.

faded!!! as they just got printed wednesday. sorry the color was not up to your standards. you should spend a grand and hand out t-shirts to people.

One observation of the vendors. Everyone brought a "Ghost chili hottest pepper in the world" sauce and touted it as the IT sauce. All of them either had WAY too much vinegar in it or used extract. Both are huge no-nos to me. The only Ghost sauce that had TASTE of the ghost was SALSALADY's. [no bs or preferential treatment towards a fellow member either] Flavor wins out big with me, so I now have a bottle of her Ghost Fire residing in my fridge :mouthonfire: Who'da thunk a WA state sauce would have the real TX heat :flamethrower:

I'll agree. Her ghost sauce is excellent, and the garlic/smoked hab sauce is f**king AMAZING.

Dr. P; I met Sic...he handed me the shirt...I noticed the color, and the first word in my head was "HEMP", lol ;)
But seriously...it was one of the coolest shirts I saw through the whole thing, and he and his wife are EXACTLY the kind of good people chile-heads are known to be. I'm hoping Sic and LadySic will come visit the farm, and prop feet up on a cooler while watching the smoker work like hell.

Great talking to the ones I got to meet today...wish I had known people from BURLESON were there...I "grew up" there.

Back