event 2012 Zestfest Pics and stories

Ringside, I bundled it with his Scorpion BBQ Sauce (which also won gold). They were giving out pulled pork and brisket, just small cups, but you put a shot of sauce on it. He also has an Applewood Smoked Bourbon MILD sauce that was great. I'm being cautious, because I have no idea how he is viewed in this forum. He's definitely the big dog. And, as a consumer, he hits home-runs. I'm just speaking of taste. I talked to CaJohn for about 20 minutes today and he's certainly beyond "Mom n Pop". And we talked about the capsicum extracts... he talked about "hexane", I think it was... and ensuing crystals. Apparently the EU banned extracts and now they are flooding the US market. I think he's a sharp dude, but he's not someone I would be chummy with (probably).

I think the Beaver sauce was like $10... in conjunction with $7 for the Scorpion BBQ sauce.

Wow looks like between Salsa Ladies Zestfest prices and CaJohns it's a nice saving getting them in person! I wanted to pick up the Scorpion BBQ sauce too. Nice! And yea he really cleaned up at the show, I was astonished when I read how many 1st places he got. That's interesting about the EU banning extracts...I'm from the UK so that hits close to home for me.

Thanks for the info.

By the way, is that Baron Von Raschke as your avatar?

* Just submitted a couple of edits to my post....it's late and my fingers are mashing keys!

Another interesting thing was the "marketing" award. Someone on this forum will remember that the label said, "marinade your meat". A few of us grammar nazis were like, "isn't the proper word 'marinaTe"? It's splitting hairs, but we noticed it. When I was at their booth, I couldn't resist bringing it up (respectfully). The proprietor was a little defiant for awhile (and I certainly noted, "it's not a big deal... just saying!"). And then she acquiesced, admitted the verb/noun conjugation error and wondered, "something like that won't cost us, will it?". I said, "no, it was just something I noticed". AND... fast forward, that won 1st.. a golden chile.

And I remember that "Hula Girl" from the Food Network Show (before I even knew any of this existed)... he was a winner, maybe it was 2008? He's at Zestfest and I talked to him for... 10 minutes. He's sort of an old hippie. BUT... he only charges $4 a bottle. The samples tasted great. I gave him $4 cash for one. That's an attractive price point. From what I can remember, they didn't win anything, but perhaps they didn't enter (a la Defcon). He told me that he forgot his ukulele at the hotel, lol.

• Quick shout-out-
  • Red Hawk Peppers (RedtailForester) got a 3rd place for 3B

sorry for the lack of esxtra info, really tired, off to bed------

'Night'All~

Again, don't want to step on any toes of friends, but CaJohn's Scorpion BBQ sauce is MONEY. It slapped me in the face, then comforted me... the remaining residue was smokey and pleasing, while a bon-fire was taking shape. I'm just being honest. Again, I don't know if he's considered Darth Vader on this forum or not. But, his products are pretty good. We did a "blind testing" of course, but (as Bama Jack said), there were only 4-5 samples where we said, ":I want to buy that". I have a hunch that they were CaJohn's.

I see it, do you see it??? B3 came in third place in fruit based sauces!!!!!!!!!!!

430619_319461028096024_206163169425811_867172_1605751178_n.jpg

Not too bad for a redneck from Pennsylvania huh!?

Great News Salsalady and RedtailForester! Congratulations.. Wish I were there!

Dr. P, I believe there is nothing but love here for Cajohn. I got his Bourbon Chipotle Hab hot sauce last year at Zfest.

Good luck to all attending and look forward to more pics and stories.

Mike

Just some more random shots around the venue

CaJohns was packed when I made my tasting rounds. They had a ton of stuff there! Already had my purchases by this time....

This was one of the most original booths there. It's modeled after their small town building back home. Too bad the salsa wasn't equally up to the looks.

e28ba841.jpg

The Hula guy Dr P is talking about is in the last pic on the far left (cut off) His stuff was alright (bit too vinegary to me) but he wasn't into the show. He was chillin like an old hippie instead of pluggin his product. The other guy, Ol' Bob and wife, were really into it. He used to own a local BBQ place that I've heard was awesome. Had to pick up some of his!

Big congrats to all the winners!
Zesty sweets candy or chocolate: 3rd place! In collaboration with Chocolates by George! Skyrockets in Flight, a dark chocolate truffle with Stinger X(last years golden chile winner)!

Dr P, why do you not think you would be chummy with CaJohn?

One observation of the vendors. Everyone brought a "Ghost chili hottest pepper in the world" sauce and touted it as the IT sauce. All of them either had WAY too much vinegar in it or used extract. Both are huge no-nos to me. The only Ghost sauce that had TASTE of the ghost was SALSALADY's. [no bs or preferential treatment towards a fellow member either] Flavor wins out big with me, so I now have a bottle of her Ghost Fire residing in my fridge :mouthonfire: Who'da thunk a WA state sauce would have the real TX heat :flamethrower:

I spoke with the lady at the Hula Girl sauce booth last year looking for any authentic Hawaiian or polynesion sauces. She did not have any. Ann, (SL) posted something ,or it was referenced at her website, about a saucemaker from Hawaii whose name I can not remember. The website was loaded with interesting sauces but I don't believe they are available due to a legal problem related to their copacker, or something like that.

I would like to find something available to try.

Mike

One observation of the vendors. Everyone brought a "Ghost chili hottest pepper in the world" sauce and touted it as the IT sauce. All of them either had WAY too much vinegar in it or used extract. Both are huge no-nos to me. The only Ghost sauce that had TASTE of the ghost was SALSALADY's. [no bs or preferential treatment towards a fellow member either] Flavor wins out big with me, so I now have a bottle of her Ghost Fire residing in my fridge :mouthonfire: Who'da thunk a WA state sauce would have the real TX heat :flamethrower:

I'm glad the rest of the world gets to experience what I've known for years! (yeah, I'm bragging a little). SL and Texas Creek Products ROCK! period.

Nice of you to give props woody!

I'm yet to sample Defcon and Texas Creek products but tomorrow will fix that!

I've heard good things about CaJohns Happy Beaver sauce....how much does that cost at the show?

Cheers all!

Haven't tried the Happy Beaver, but I am now completely gay for Defcon's horseradish and I'm man enough to admit it. The wing sauce is delicious, but I was too much of a wuss and went with Defcon 2 - I can absolutely handle hotter so my next order will be for Defcon 1.

Thanks for the pics salsalady! I'd love to go to this some day. I'll have to get the costco sized bucket of Zantac beforehand I think. :D

What Woody said about Ol' Bob, despite the fact that he's sort of in the "Hula Girl" booth. He's definitely not connected. Like I said, I did buy a Hula Girl, mainly b/c it was only $4. But, yea, he doesn't seem too vociferous. But, I like that... sort of... Salsalady is attentive, but not over-bearing. I sort of like the approach, "ask me anything, I'm an encyclopedia of every product in front of me... I hope you are impressed and make a purchase". As far as my reticence to embrace CaJohn, I sort of had the impression that he sort of dominates... the biggest kid on the block, perhaps a bully. As I'm new here, I didn't want to come off as being a bandwagoneer. If y'all are aspiring commercial sauce-makers, I don't think you want CaJohn pom-poms pounded down your throats. Like I said... his products are excellent... and commercial. The products could be placed on an end-cap in a popular grocery store and fit right in with Kraft, KC Masterpiece, Sweet Baby Ray's, etc. Some of the other products I examined were also excellent, but they seemed sort of seat-of-pants, temporary... small-time. I just bought a bucket of fried chicken from KFC. I intend to sample my Zestfest purchases on these fried bird pieces. (as an aside, thought it funny that the best beef jerky in the competition was called "dead cow"). I bought this bottle of Zach's Zombie Sauce... the pseudo-Rastafarian guys. I really like that taste... and on the chicken... enhancement... really pleasing. But, they are not ready for market like CaJohn is. They don't use fitments, for instance. And the label looks sort of "home computer". This industry really intrigues me!

Back