• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

favorite What's your favorite food...EVER?

I saw this show on the food network called what's your favorite food ever? They actually have different episodes where they say where they had their favorite fried food and their favorite bbq etc, but I was curious what are the best foods you have ever had and where? For me it was fresh roadside lobster in Bar Harbor, Maine, a 25oz Dry Aged wood grilled NY Strip at Charley's in Orlando, FL, and a whole salt crusted Chilean Sea Bass from a restaurant I believe was named Doc's Oyster House in Atlantic City, NJ.

Good question. Per cuisine:

The best Thai, in Thailand (Koh Phi Phi). Everything is fresh. You can go fishing, and bring your catch to seaside restaurants (out on the sand) that cook it for you in a fire pit Thai style! Need I say more?

OMG...I can't answer that question. I'm stumped...I love ALL good food! It would be easier to answer what food do you hate.

Pepperfreak said:
OMG...I can't answer that question. I'm stumped...I love ALL good food! It would be easier to answer what food do you hate.
I love lots of food too, but if you've had something simply amazing and heavenly somewhere, it's a pretty easy answer (per cuisine).

Well, honestly the best stuff has always come from home. We make everything we love.

For Mexican, four way tie
Chile Rellenos- most of your probably familiar with this
Torta De Camaron- this is a mix made with egg and dried shrimp powder, covered with red chile sauce that has nopales(cactus)
Lengua- beef tongue
Menudo- Spicy soup made from the stomach of a cow and hominy

There are several places in town for Pho soup that are amazing and I could eat every day. Vietnamese soup is awesome. It's about the only food I'd go outta my way for to go eat. I can make everything else at home.

Off the top of my head, three of my favorites are- Blue fin tuna sashimi right on the boat, 32oz. porterhouse @ Brett Favre's Steakhouse, and just about any whole hog roast I've ever been to, last one was at a Serbian Orthadox Church festival sorta thing.

Bottomless buckets of fresh crawfish would be right up there too.

Uhm, in that case...True Authentic Mexican cuisine. True Thia Cuisine. True Italian cuisine. All of which is hard to find in the restaurant scene.

Best steak ever: http://www.wolflodgerestaurants.com/coeurdalene.php

I had the Steak & Salmon...unreal how good this stuff is.

There's also one locally, but zoning laws here prevent it from having the open-pit fire that gives the Idaho version it's insanly good and smokey food.

Great atmosphere too, guys in ties mixed up with the old, the young, families, even bikers. :)

Pepperfreak said:
Uhm, in that case...True Authentic Mexican cuisine. True Thia Cuisine. True Italian cuisine. All of which is hard to find in the restaurant scene.
The question is where did you have this amazing meal.

thehotpepper.com said:
The question is where did you have this amazing meal.

Ohhh...Guess I'm in the slow learner class today. :lol: And...to make it worse, I don't remember.

The Authentic Mexican cuisine was while I lived in Texas. It was all home made too.

The Thia, both in restraunts I have no idea of thier names. One was in Columbus and the other was in Cincinnati.

The Italian, that is easy. My grandmother was the best cook I can recall and nothing served in restraunts even compaires to her meals she prepared.

There was a little seafood restaurant right by the water in Sneads Ferry, North Carolina that we always went to when I was a kid. When in season, they made a soft-shelled crab sandwich that I'd eat again as my last meal. Simple, whole crab battered lightly and fried, a little remoulade, and and a dab of cole slaw. Divine.

It's a toss-up between this and a thanksgiving dinner I cooked two years ago that involved a brined turkey, baked brie with walnuts, collard greens, cornbread etc. The Turkey was a 20 pounder, and it was gone in a day and a half with only 6 heads eating on it. It was the moistest turkey I've ever tasted, and I didn't even get to taste the leftovers. I was pissed!

The best fish was in a small place around Loutraki in Greece. they asked us what kind of fish we prefer and then went fishing... lol. the cook knew his business.
Best meat was probably yesterday at a small place in Eilat. it was a 700g Rib-eye medium-rare.
Best chicken is my Mom's.

Best Burger - Bacon&Cheese at Nathan's Famous in Oceanside, NY.

Best meat - my fathers suovas. That is a traditional dish from drysalted reindeer which is smoked in a sami "kåta" (a tent just like a tipi, the word also means "horny"...) and then fried in thin slices. Eaten on bread or with boiled potatoes.

Best fish - perch smoked with wood from juniper trees.

Best swedish meatballs - my mothers of course! Ground meat from moose of course.

Best bird - "Tjäder" (

my likes are pretty simple...a bacon and tomato sammich with Hellmans mayonaise, salt and pepper on toasted white bread and a glass of milk....

AlabamaJack said:
my likes are pretty simple...a bacon and tomato sammich with Hellmans mayonaise, salt and pepper on toasted white bread and a glass of milk....

Any bacon? Any tomato? Any salt? Any pepper? Any bread? Any milk?

You have to be kidding?

JayT said:
For me it was fresh roadside lobster in Bar Harbor, Maine.....

I think I have eaten lobster at the same place. I love Bar Harbor. We also found an out of the way Crab Shack that had the best Chowder. Bar Harbor is a great place, not sure I'd want to be there in the winter though.

I think I saw this place too. Driving north it's on the left side just before you pass over a canal, people lined up down the street?

thehotpepper.com said:
I think I saw this place too. Driving north it's on the left side just before you pass over a canal, people lined up down the street?

You know I'm not sure exactly where it was there, but that sounds right. All I know is you pulled up in your car, got out, stood in line and they cooked it right there for about six bucks. Unbelievable. Nice sig THP.

AlabamaJack said:

Hellmans/Best Foods is the ONLY mayo.... :D

Well, cept my homemade hab/baconsaise....

you know Quad if I made some crabcakes with that (your hab baconaise) then they may become my favorite food ever.

Back