• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Potawie's summer of 2010

Like most ornamentals, the chinese 5 color was not bred for flavor and is actually quite terrible tasting in my opinion but does have a fair bit of heat.
Every year they are the most popular plants in my yard. I try to show off my super-hots and everyone is still talking about the colorful 5 color plant :)

I started a few crosses/hybrids this season using the 5 color. Here's my whippet's tail * chinese 5 color (f1) growing quickly
4775423924_82e6655ac3.jpg

I'm not sure of the question?
I only know what the f1 generation is looking like so far, and they all look pretty much the same. Its the f2 generation on where I'll have to grow out tonnes of plants and choose those with most desired characteristics for inbreeding and stabilizing

That's what I'm doing too. It's like looking for the golden ticket.
I mean how do you know if you will like it or not if you haven't ever seen a full plant that all peppered out?
Right now I'm just examining all my f1s to see what I like too.
I just planted about 300 neydes and fatallis to look for weird and strange attributes. I wish i worked at a real research lab though; so I would get paid to do it. Hopefully I will come up with a winner. I really like my Neydalli so far, but I don't know what the peppers will look like yet. Please wish me luck people.

Good luck but its your f2's you should be selecting from, all the f1's of a cross should be the same.
You never know if your going to like a cross until you start isolating f2+ plants/pods with most desirable characteristics. If there are no desirable characteristics then I guess there is no point continuing, but otherwise it can take 8-12 years to stabilize
My goal is simply to see what characteristics I can get out of these two cool varities, and since both are poor tasting I'm expecting to end up with more of an ornamental variety from this cross

Derek, They all look awesome! The tomatos and peppers look outstanding bro. I love the wippets tail and those big long peppers. good stuff! Just imagine all these grown in Canada. Arent we supposed to have snow 365 days a year and live in igloos.

Very fine plants POTAWIE, those Douglahs are nice and full.

Wow! 100F that far north this early is frightening.
It's only come close to that here, but the whole weather scene this year is whacked and I'm dreading August.

Its hangover recovery day for Potawie but I managed to get out and take a few pics

Here's some new pics of the W5 hybrid(f1)
4796170405_112d37fbfd.jpg

Purple flower and purple pod
4796170399_627aebd2c0.jpg

Here's my chupetinha just loaded with pods
4796170385_e61fb0b88c.jpg

Purple marconi is a new one for me and it looks pretty cool
4796170391_94d8f56365.jpg

Today's small harvest with a bit of everything
4796170413_3840edb63d.jpg

Nice little harvest there P. Might there be a fresh salsa in your future? :)

Plants are looking great, as usual.

Nice little harvest there P. Might there be a fresh salsa in your future? :)

For sure! I actually made lots of fresh salsa from Tuesday and Wednesday's harvest. The way the tomatoes are growing this year, I think I'll be eating salsa everyday for quite some time

great looking plants POTAWIE. I hope I'm able to grow plants like that some day. That chupatinha plant looks great. What are the pods like? I've never heard of that one...

These chupetinhas are not hot but they have a pleasant sweet, fruity taste. Sort of red bell pepper tasting but maybe a hint of chinense flavor.
My biggest problem is the amount of seeds in them, more seed than pepper sometimes

Looking fabulous as always POTAWIE. I'm curious about the banana plant, is it a dwarf? How long you been growing it?

Thanks.

The big banana plants are probably 3 years old, but they grow very quick if given space. They are also cold hardy to a certain degree with some winter protection
Here's a link to some info for Ensete glaucum
http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/EnsGla.shtml

I also have a 2 year old dwarf variety that produces pink bananas called Musa velutina, although no banans yet :(
http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/MusVel.shtml

looks like the year is going to treat you and your plants good P...

best of luck for the rest of the season...

are you growing any true bonnet shaped plants this year?...

Unfortunately no, I'm not growing any bonnets this year. They are some of my favorite varieties but not usually very productive for me

Back