• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Insanity - The Girls

Roughly a month later - girls are getting big. Right to left, kind of from smallest to largest, as of a couple days ago. Unfortunately, between the heat of the last couple days plus the severe thunderstorm that hit today, I may have lost some, but most are still looking good.

Brain strain, rocoto, cayenne, serrano, douglah, and etc.
g1_20110720.jpg

Douglahs, jalapenos, serranos, habaneros, and a few I managed not to label.
g2_20110720.jpg

Aji Habanero, Serrano del Sol, Purple Cayenne, Purple Jalapeno, and others.
g3_20110720.jpg

My "garden" in total. The closest plants include red and yellow rocotos, fataliis, congo trinidad, trinidad perfume, and others.
g4_20110720.jpg

Aji Habanero:
g5_20110720.jpg

LTR Cayenne:
g6_20110720.jpg

Purple Cayenne:
g7_20110720.jpg

Peach Habanero:
g8_20110720.jpg

Looking great, G. Better than my plants! Do you have any rocoto pods yet? I can't seem to get pods here no matter what I do.

Roughly a month later - girls are getting big. Right to left, kind of from smallest to largest, as of a couple days ago. Unfortunately, between the heat of the last couple days plus the severe thunderstorm that hit today, I may have lost some, but most are still looking good.

MWC - Thanks! The rocotos just recently started blooming, and I haven't yet seen an actual pod yet, but expect that to change soon.

MM - Thanks!

Thanks everyone!

The pots were from WalMart, and came with bases. Frankly, it was a P.I.T.A. to take off all those bases (48 plants/pots in total), but it was worth it I've got good drainage this way.

geeme- very nice plants. my rocotos have shed all their flowers - been really hot here for the last couple of weeks.

Went out this morning and started moving pots around, to discover that the girls have been more prolific than I realized the other day. I've got TONS of congo trinidads, plus fataliis, trin perfs, red rocotos, rocotillos, and, and, and! No yellow rocotos yet, but lots of blooms.

I pulled all of the purple cayenne pods this morning, and the dehydrator is humming away now. I don't think I'll grow them again, next year. They're fairly small, and very seedy. The heat is in the range I expected it to be in, with the stinging bite of cayenne, so the jury is still out. However, I get more bang from the LTR cayennes - 8 - 10 inches long vs. maybe 2 inches, and a lot less seed for the pod size. Once the LTR cayennes ripen and I've got some dried, I'll do a taste test between the two varieties, and see which retains the better flavor.

Whenever I transplant or pot up, I give the plant a shot of Miracle Grow starter fert - doesn't matter what kind of plant it is, it gets some, then more about a week later. I find this reduces or even seems to eliminate transplant shock - no leaves are typically lost, at any rate. Then I switch to a mix that helps with stem and leaf production. Now, however, they're pretty much just getting Botanicare Cal-Mag. They only get fed every 2nd or 3rd watering, not counting the times it rains. Rain = nitrogen = happy girls.

In the 2nd picture in my previous post, on the bottom step you see a small terracotta pot with a plant in it. That was 8 days ago. At that time I thought I needed to pot up, but thought I could wait a couple more weeks, until the semester was over. Yeah.... right. Repotted this morning - that girl had a MAJOR growth spurt almost overnight, before I repotted. Curious to see what she does now. The info I had on this plant indicated it would only get 18 - 24 inches tall. Uh-huh......

g1_20110731.jpg

A couple pod pics; unfortunately, I can't remember which one is in the first photo! I think they're trinidad perfumes, but could be something else. I probably should go out there and start looking at the labels again.....

g2_20110731.jpg

But this, at least, I KNOW are congo trinidad's. Unfortunately the green pods blend too well with the foliage, but this girl is LOADED.

g3_20110731.jpg

Thanks guys! It's amazing how these these are growing right now. You can see in the pics on 7/23 that I spaced the pots so I would have walking room between them. However, I started widening the spaces yesterday, as I could no longer get between them. It's a good thing they're in pots so I can do that!

Back