• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Insanity - The Girls

Got a happy little surprise this morning. Went to turn the lights on for the plants, and of course looked the plants over. It occurred to me that I didn't see my lone rocoto - it's been a slow-grower, so has been pretty small, plus the texture of the leaves is a bit different from the others. Looked around again, and couldn't help but to say out loud "WOW!" The little bugger apparently had a growth spurt between when I last looked at it yesterday and now. WOW. Or as Sum says: BOOM!

If you look at the middle picture in the post just above, it's the one in the lower-left corner. It hadn't really grown any larger than that when I looked at it yesterday. Today? The leaves are large enough that they are touching the rim of the cup, and there is a new leaf pair starting.

Yeah, the first batch of seedlings she killed by peeing on them. The second batch by batting them around the house like so many toys. Good idea about a starting zap - prime the tap, if you will....
Yikes! My flatmates cat is actually very good around my plants. Once or twice she's bowled a couple over while they've been sitting near the door and it's struck dinner time, but usually she appears to have uttermost respect for them. Sometimes she'll even wander over to them and just lay there next to them like she is guarding them or something!

Print this and put it on your plants.
Doberman.jpg

Step two will be get an audio file of a dog barking.
Now that's just awesome! :rofl:

haha I own two Rottweilers and trust me...cats aren't scared! My poor dog was bit on the nose by a cat and both are scared of them! Man..that Doberman on the right is one handsome pup!

You need to turn the situation to your advantage. Another member on here, can't remember who right now, chucked a dead cat on the compost heap and now it's growing chillies. Everyone is happy :D

well, if you're asking me and not megamoo....

It totally depended up the variety and individual seeds. Some within just a couple of days, some as much as 4 weeks.

You need to turn the situation to your advantage. Another member on here, can't remember who right now, chucked a dead cat on the compost heap and now it's growing chillies. Everyone is happy :D

Just make sure that you bury them nice and deep :whistle:

girls look sweet geeme good luck with you season when you get them in dirt outside. Hope you get all the peppers you ever wanted from your plants this year. I don't say this too often but your cups look a little dry. ;)

Thanks, and lol - They're on schedule for a watering tonight - I wait until the cups are pretty light before watering each time. Plus I bottom-water and don't let the water reach the tops, anyway.

One thing confuddles me. Some are starting to show good signs of recovery from the broad mite attack. (The mites didn't get to all of them, but you can see some that don't look regular.) However, they all get fed and watered the same, yet you'll see a few that are quite yellow. The one in the upper-left corner of the second pic is an example - it didn't get hit by the mites, but look how yellow it is! They're getting diluted ferts, including CalMag, from time to time, so I'm rather puzzled by this.

Not under attack now, but recovering from it. The two smaller ones in the larger cups in the green tub were attacked. I really didn't think either of them would make it, but you are seeing new, healthy growth there. In the large tub, the tiny douglah in the lower right (next to the end) was attacked as well. It is still alive, but I'm not sure it's going to make it - haven't really seen new growth out of it yet, and you can see it's one of the yellow ones. Also, in spite of its size, it's actually one of the older plants. The one cayenne with super-curly leaves is slowly recovering from getting hit with the "wrong" insecticide - "wrong" being for the age of the plant.

Next row up from the bottom, both the plants on the far ends of the row were attacked. They've had such good recovery you can hardly tell, except by looking at the bottom-most leaves. Keep in mind the broad mites have hit only once, but the degree of damage varied depending upon the age of the plant at the time - I've started seeds in small groups so I don't have a single huge repotting job at any one time.

Yeah, broad mites are the buggers I have been dealing with too.... they are brutal!

You probably already know this, buuut.... apparently plants may not show signs of recovery for some time even after eradicating the little shits due to the fact that they inject a toxin into the plant while feeding. And I guess, the younger the plant, the less likely it will recover. :\

Didn't know about the toxin - thanks for the info. I think the two in the green tub will be okay, but am having serious doubts about the douglah. To be honest, though, that wouldn't be a huge problem - at least 6 of those plants are douglahs, and I'm really the only one around here who will eat them.

A little more info - what is in those cups!

6 Douglah (SS) - one's survival is questionable
3 Cayenne
3 Jalapeno
3 Fatalii
1 Rocoto (SS)
2 Brain Strain (SS)
2 Orange Hab
1 Congo Trin
2 Sweet Bell
1 Burkina Scotch Bonnet (SS)
2 Tomatillo
4 Not really sure, but know they're chinenses

Of the last 4, I started more Congo Trinidad and Brain Strain, but failed to record them. We'll figure it out later this season!

Okay - it's been a while! Finally finished repotting everything today. Had some losses between my last post and now, but most are doing well. Here's a broad shot of the plants in pots on the back side of the house:
p01_20110618.jpg

There are also 6 pepper plants in the bed on the front of the house. Plus, in a fit of further insanity, I picked up 2 more plants late this afternoon. Those will also go in the front bed - - - unless I change my mind!

These next pics are just more shots of the same thing, starting with some of the larger ones, then on to the little ones.
p02_20110618.jpg

Clearly I've got a few non-peppers in there, too.
p03_20110618.jpg

The annuums, of course, are already putting out pods. The two in front are purple jalapeno, and the two immediately behind the left jalapeno are purple cayenne. They have pods on them, too, though you can't really tell in this pic.
p04_20110618.jpg

At this point the larger chinenses are budding or blooming, but the pubescens haven't shown the first sign of a bud yet. The two jalapenos (in red pots on the steps) which were overwinters from last season have pods on them, the first to ripen this season.

Nice!!

I'm installing an electric wire around the top of my chain-link fence because of a neighbor cat problem we've been experiencing lately. I've tried talking to them, but they're not too concerned about it. We'll see if this opens up their eyes!!

Back