• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors How can deer hunting be a sport?

It would be nice if you broke all that up so I dont have to reply the same way.

frosty said:
Without hunting the natural state is a sine wave If something pushes the peak too high the trough can go too low. Deer probably won't go extinct but the predators can and have.

If hunters don't thin the herd then I can see why they killed 600 deer. It is a shame, most hunters wouldn't have wasted the meat. Seems like a call for more hunting Not less.

They, the hunters, did "thin" the herd. But no one is going for the weakest of the bunch. Here its the biggest male with the most points. How does this work within nature?

Evidence of predators going extinct? What exactly is too low and defined how by who?

Modern hunters waste plenty.

Student of Spice said:

Orange cant be seen by deer supposedly. **They have done studies on the cones and rods in the eye of the deer **  http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1279&context=icwdm_usdanwrc

I wasnt really challenging the fact here. I just dont know. Ive never seen through deer eyes. Nor had I ever bothered to look it up. And Ive only ever heard this from hunters. And from your link...

During the day deer discriminate colors in the range blue to yellow-green and can also distinguish longer (orange and red) wavelengths.

Point being even if they couldnt see orange then wtf are they seeing? A big blank spot? Either way something unnatural.

And why do it during deer season? Dont deer act a little differently during this time? Deer does start to act differently as it is nearing breeding time, hunters wear orange so other hunters can see the orange and dont shoot them. Not all hunters are ethical and will wait to clearly identify the target.

Hunting season here and in the next state over follow each other successively. If the hunters know what theyre talking about then the deer know this and run from one state to the other when the season starts in the current state. At least near the border. This is what I meant by acting differently.

Its not a sport, there's no competition from the other team.  ** The whole definition of a sport makes so many variables, this is a sport or that isn't a sport. I dont call it a sport personally but I can see how there is sporting to it. An individual can go out and try to challenge them self to hunt using the most primitive methods, an individual can challenge them self again by if last year they got a 4 point this year they have to get a 6 point, I mean people can make it a sport one way or another.....meh. My sports are HOCKEY AND FOOTBALL!!!

I tend to think of sport as distraction for the stupid. The Romans used it in that exact way.

Its not population control. Populations are controlled by nature with varying factors like available food and habitat. True, however humans have done a poor job controlling their own overpopulation so as global populations increase, an increased demand for food arises. When monsanto is having their x-men corn cobs ate up...blah blah blah https://www.qdma.com/ also the high populations are causing a rapid spread of disease within their species and more mumbo jumbo science stuff http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hunting/2015/03/6-new-rules-whitetail-deer-management

This all depends on which scientists you listen to. Either we've overpopulated now, when we hit 10 billion, or maybe even 25 billion.

These are lies "hunters" egos and govt agencies tell them. My ego does not tell me these things, nor do government agencies tell me these things. Science did a decent job at telling me these things. For me I hunt to be able to harvest my own meat, clean my own kill, process my own cuts, and fill the freezer. I came from northern ny on the canadian border. This is how life aways was, there were a hundred deer to any one person up there and they are tasty. Stores were very far away and since there were no real jobs most of the average income of the town was individuals making a few dollars over minimum at a paper mill. We had moose but no body hunted them as they were to few in number were we lived.

No jobs but freezers everywhere. Science often misses the mark when it comes to the bigger picture. It used to be my main man. Not so much anymore.

And why use a paintball "with deadly shot placement"? Why not still use musket balls if theyre so deadly accurate? Im guessing it was his challenge for you to try and hunt and see how difficult it is to get a deer and the paintball was is suggestion for a weapon with no deadly force. We can use musket balls, I do, its called muzzle loading  and only open about a week :( I remember muzzle loading when i was about 13, was hunting all day and walking in so was all relaxed and walked up on a  big buck he starts to run I attempt a shot and missed tried running in the direction i believed he was heading to cut him off while trying to reload and broke my ram rod. good time.  lesson of the day carbon fiber rods lol....

I know you can muzzle loaders, we have the same season of about the same length here. The point was he added "with deadly accuracy" which paint balls arent by nature.

GTFO with this shit. *you're right i did have to "Get The Facts Out" with this shit :) ;)

If you say so.

The Alan Watts vid says a lot about this if anyone bothers to listen.

Man deciding to try and maintain some perceived sinewave is just silly.

We wouldnt even be here if there were no interruptions to it. Neither would deer.

(Heckle)

^^^this.... They, the hunters, did "thin" the herd. But no one is going for the weakest of the bunch. Here its the biggest male with the most points. How does this work within nature?

Natural selection in nature is to thin out the weakest.... Not the strongest....

Rairdog said:
Rather than get frustrated and feed the trolls I just went to the shop and shot some peppers.   Wait a minute, "you can't shoot peppers".  I say, "oh, but I did".   I feel better now.   Come on 10/1

In my eyes bow hunting is the only way to hunt. So much skill involved and must be much closer in tracking the game... No 500 yard shots with a 300 winmag from a blind. I'm a gun nut and went deer hunting once, couldn't do it and backed out, my buddies called me a pu--y but I didn't care. I't just felt wrong to me.

Ohhh... Theres no trolls.. just passionate opinions on the topic, which almost all of us are off of drews topic by now anyway lololol.

Pepper hunting!!! New sport???? Lolol

sevenstrings said:
Natural selection in nature is to thin out the weakest.... Not the strongest....

That is the point I was making.

The law actually makes you go for not necessarily "the" strongest, but within the group of the strongest.

Bring on the ego and the trophy part...and I'm sure the strongest get taken...year after year.

Its a thinning of the herd, but not in the way hunters think. Theyre thinning the strongest genes from the herd, again year after year.

Its pretty obvious too when you look at their trophies from the past and compare them to now.

The population control doesn't only steam from individuals allowed to hunt for antlered deer but as well doe through out certain weeks. This lowers the amount of deer that can obviously be born and they don't always have only one fawn they can have two. The weakest may get taken out by a coyote or cougar at times but it is no where near the amount of population control that needs to take place from natural selection however the lack of quadruped predators have decreased in many areas. I know in florida there is estimated to be less than 100 cougars left in existence and if lucky a few hundred red wolves spread throughout. Most deer given time will all be very healthy strong creatures (minus muscle wasting disease) unlike us. I would suggest investigating more about wild life management but your point of view is not without merit to some degree. Now if you want to discuss the distortion of natural selection, how about the lack of natural selection among our own species. I know of some individuals I can not believe are allowed to spread their genetics to further generations.

Deer have become a nuisance in the wealthy neighborhoods against the hills here in LA. I'm shooing them out of my job sites nearly every morning. They've cause car accidents and damage cars by jumping on them. I saw a couple yesterday just stair at the trash truck that couldn't pass. He honked and honked and they just looked at him like "yeah?". Pretty funny, he had to get out and chase em away to get by.
People says their coming down more due to the drought, kinda sad.

Heckle said:

Hitler sterilized people too. Tell me more mein something or other.

ah.... from clever to name calling. you are completely retarded if comparing me to hitler, inappropriate but i suppose that is your thing. failing in intelligence and resorting to insults? but i will gladly tell you more mein freund ;)

ColdSmoke said:
a lot of wrong opinions in here. If you only knew what I do.

well spitz it out
Student of Spice said:

ah.... from clever to name calling. you are completely retarded if comparing me to hitler, inappropriate but i suppose that is your thing. failing in intelligence and resorting to insults? but i will gladly tell you more mein freund ;)

totally wrong even though you both hold that same opinion

I mean i get how youre doing the same thing with hunting and its not as obvious, but your cognitive bias is definitely showing now

I like to hunt because I love venison, and it is tradition in my family, and where I grew up. I hunt out of the exact same tree that my dad did and his dad did since the '50s. In a couple more years, my son will inherit that same tree stand. I'm sorry if some of you find that wrong, but hunting with my dad and brother is one of my favorite things in life.

Not going to argue anymore about the benefits of hunting. Just talk about hunting and why I used to do it. Venison is better than beef for chili con carne and the quality of sausage from the butcher is just great. If you cooked me the perfect deer steak I would rather have a mediocre strip. Nothing goes to waste but a lot gets ground.

I don't do it for the meat; it is cheaper than store bought especially now. Part of why I used to hunt deer was to be out in the woods scouting. The main reason, and I know this will irritate people, was the kill. Yep, I said it. Sitting there, slowly looking around for a deer glancing at the different sounds and waiting for things to move in my periphery. Finally I getting a clear view of the deer. If the deer is close I watch its face waiting for the time to raise my rifle. Will it get spooked? I raise my rifle. Wait for a good shot. Wait. How far is that? I sighted in at 200. Will the bullet be low or high? Adjust the shot. Time starts slowing down. Squeeze the trigger. Cycle the action while on target. Wait. Wait. Do I take another shot? It drops. Time suddenly rushes back to normal. Triangulate where it is, make sure I can find it easily. I now can feel the adrenaline and during this time I didn't think about anything else. I never heard the gun go off.

I know some of you are probably disgusted by that. I would counter that if you eat meat you also kill but get less utility than I do. In a very real sense I am being more efficient and getting more out of the meat. That seems like a good thing.

Now if you aren't put off yet here comes the point where I will lose some -maybe most of you. I prefer squirrel hunting. The meat is just delicious and the hunt is more exciting.

Since I got married and had my son and moved I just don't hunt anymore. I'm fine if I never hunt deer again but when my son is the right age he and I will go squirrel hunting.

My dad is one of those old time stoic types. Frankly, we have trouble talking about things. One thing we can always talk about is hunting. I'm glad we have that.

People hunt for different reasons: to be out there, for the meat, for the trophy, tradition, being with friends. I hunt to be in the flow but I don't judge anyone else's motivation. I eat meat and wear leather shoes. Anyone but a vegan kills, either by their own hands or by surrogate. Saying that my reason for killing is better than someone else's seems like trying to be superior without doing anything. I will listen to my vegan brothers. Most of them I know are hindu and look at their lifestyle as their journey and not mine.

I miss hunting and I miss hunters

XADMELX.gif

I'm cool with hunting w/ a few caveats/exceptions ...

1) I'm against learning to shoot via hunting. I think you should be able to hit your target, where needed for a RELATIVELY painless suffering-free kill, before you start maming animals. When you can make the shot, then you can take it, not before.

2) Don't drop animals just to shoot things. Believe it or not, there really are assholes who go out and just shoot anything that rustles leaves and are too fucking lazy to bother to process their kills.

3) Don't act like your a bad-ass if there's no contest. If you've got more money in gear with you than you spent on your wife's ring and kid's school supplies for the year - that's not hunting, that's like point-and-click. Especially if you also don't have to drag the carcass because you have a golf-cart or a human servant to do it for you. Oh, and then I guess you just drop it off somewhere for processing too ... If you are going to maintain and pass on the tradition of hunting, the important lessons come w/ the rest of the bullshit, not the kill itself.

In short, hunt w/o sadism, and it's cool.

JayT said:
I like to hunt because I love venison, and it is tradition in my family, and where I grew up. I hunt out of the exact same tree that my dad did and his dad did since the '50s. In a couple more years, my son will inherit that same tree stand. I'm sorry if some of you find that wrong, but hunting with my dad and brother is one of my favorite things in life.

frosty said:
Not going to argue anymore about the benefits of hunting. Just talk about hunting and why I used to do it. Venison is better than beef for chili con carne and the quality of sausage from the butcher is just great. If you cooked me the perfect deer steak I would rather have a mediocre strip. Nothing goes to waste but a lot gets ground.

I don't do it for the meat; it is cheaper than store bought especially now. Part of why I used to hunt deer was to be out in the woods scouting. The main reason, and I know this will irritate people, was the kill. Yep, I said it. Sitting there, slowly looking around for a deer glancing at the different sounds and waiting for things to move in my periphery. Finally I getting a clear view of the deer. If the deer is close I watch its face waiting for the time to raise my rifle. Will it get spooked? I raise my rifle. Wait for a good shot. Wait. How far is that? I sighted in at 200. Will the bullet be low or high? Adjust the shot. Time starts slowing down. Squeeze the trigger. Cycle the action while on target. Wait. Wait. Do I take another shot? It drops. Time suddenly rushes back to normal. Triangulate where it is, make sure I can find it easily. I now can feel the adrenaline and during this time I didn't think about anything else. I never heard the gun go off.

I know some of you are probably disgusted by that. I would counter that if you eat meat you also kill but get less utility than I do. In a very real sense I am being more efficient and getting more out of the meat. That seems like a good thing.

Now if you aren't put off yet here comes the point where I will lose some -maybe most of you. I prefer squirrel hunting. The meat is just delicious and the hunt is more exciting.

Since I got married and had my son and moved I just don't hunt anymore. I'm fine if I never hunt deer again but when my son is the right age he and I will go squirrel hunting.

My dad is one of those old time stoic types. Frankly, we have trouble talking about things. One thing we can always talk about is hunting. I'm glad we have that.

People hunt for different reasons: to be out there, for the meat, for the trophy, tradition, being with friends. I hunt to be in the flow but I don't judge anyone else's motivation. I eat meat and wear leather shoes. Anyone but a vegan kills, either by their own hands or by surrogate. Saying that my reason for killing is better than someone else's seems like trying to be superior without doing anything. I will listen to my vegan brothers. Most of them I know are hindu and look at their lifestyle as their journey and not mine.

I miss hunting and I miss hunters

traditiondemotivationalposter.jpg
d9b415c79ec65a2afe03faa0c493474e.jpg

Slide2.jpg

grantmichaels said:
I'm cool with hunting w/ a few caveats/exceptions ...

1) I'm against learning to shoot via hunting. I think you should be able to hit your target, where needed for a RELATIVELY painless suffering-free kill, before you start maming animals. When you can make the shot, then you can take it, not before.

2) Don't drop animals just to shoot things. Believe it or not, there really are assholes who go out and just shoot anything that rustles leaves and are too f**king lazy to bother to process their kills.

3) Don't act like your a bad-ass if there's no contest. If you've got more money in gear with you than you spent on your wife's ring and kid's school supplies for the year - that's not hunting, that's like point-and-click. Especially if you also don't have to drag the carcass because you have a golf-cart or a human servant to do it for you. Oh, and then I guess you just drop it off somewhere for processing too ... If you are going to maintain and pass on the tradition of hunting, the important lessons come w/ the rest of the bullshit, not the kill itself.

In short, hunt w/o sadism, and it's cool.

shorter - If you need to hunt then hunt like you're Na'vi and this is Pandora.

Eh the level of skill required to be masterful at hunting takes more skill than shooting  3-Point Jump shot or throwing a football. 

Developing knowledge of the land.  knowing  the water resources, food resources, shelter resources. 
Knowing all the common paths animals take through the area. 
How the wind travels through the land and which direction the wind will shift as the day progresses. 
The ability to hit something the size of a grapefruit at 200-400 yards while often on the move or at odd angles.  
Not to mention after the shot, if you hit the animal, sometimes they don't drop even with a well placed shot. 
You then have to track the animal through a variety of terrain and find the animal. 
You then have to field dress the animal and carry it the 2-3 miles to your vehicle, or process it right there and lug it back.
 If you bring it back and intend on using the entire animal (I do) it requires days of work to finish out processing the meat, fat, oils, leathers, organs. 

Not to mention all the skills that go along with cleaning an animal. 

What I can't stand is when I find an animal that was killed and the Shoulders are cut open and the backstraps have been removed.  The rest of the animal remains intact.  I see this a couple times a year.
frosty said:

I love squirrel dumplings, jerky, and deep fried with a side of gravy.  I go hunting with a .22 and get a few dozen each winter just before fall when they are a bit fatter for more grease.   Out in the sticks you can get some pretty big squirrels.  

I'll agree that the kill is important.  Both because I enjoy it and because I think it is important to have a connection with what has to die for you to survive.  

Killing is killing, but I think some forms are more respectful. 
I have bags and garments that I have made from hides of the deer over the past few years.   Learned the hard way why smoking hides is important that way. (smelly box in the top of my closet)
I have knife handles from antlers just waiting for a blade.  
Saving the skulls for some folk art.

Geonerd said:

Exactly!  Do it Klingon style.  :)

But hiding in a tree or a blind, waiting in ambush with a scoped rifle?  Feh!   Elmer Fudd does it better.

You would like my great great grandpa coffee.   He jumped out of a tree and slit a deers throat.  That is the story the family passed down anyway.

Back