• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Guru's 1/8 Acre Fabriculture - 5 yr mothers

ha ha, that's awesome though. I have about an 1/8th behind my place that I have been thinking of working on. I'm not planning on staying at this house for more than a few years more so it wouldn't make sense. Keep it up and keep posting pictures.

Meant to post this yesterday to say Happy First Day of Summer, but I think I let the brew get the best of me :drunk: Nonetheless, Summer is Officially here :welcome: so bunker down, stay cool, enjoy the harvests to come and most of all enjoy life! I made a special dinner just for the occasion yesterday evening.

Smoked White Bullet Trout -
5860334513_e8da98d893.jpg

5860334735_9b947bcc65.jpg

5860334997_7c628079d0.jpg

Black IPA to wash it all down

5860335221_e6702275b3.jpg

5860888626_30eee246fe.jpg

Had such a good day with the family, ate a great dinner, enjoyed the longest day of the year in style :P

Remember that lanky ole Fatalii going into the smart pot? She, like the others, are starting to come about ;)

5860888976_363653b16d.jpg

Red Gusano

5860336363_d58ddb51b4.jpg

Mother Mound

5860336873_0b4001915d.jpg

Red Fatalii

5860337303_83e8133ec7.jpg

Bhut Jolokia

5860337719_043d4b1216.jpg

cont...

Hot Damn Guru, season is in full swing now. Plants are looking great. Whats on the top of the soil in that Fatalii smart pot?

I was just asking because I had read somewhere that using a living mulch of clover on top of container plants is highly beneficial. Just wondering if thats what you did.

I was just asking because I had read somewhere that using a living mulch of clover on top of container plants is highly beneficial. Just wondering if thats what you did.
Yes, they do cut down on watering. Some types of ground cover do also give up certain benefits to the plant that your trying to grow as well! Comfreys actually act as a fertilizer aid by mining available nutrients in the soil and making them usable for other plants. :cool:

You are kidding about watering with beer, aren't you? I don't think a little beer harms pepper plants, as I have beer traps spill into nearby soil without causing problems.

Guru, your garden is really taking off man!
It looks great!
That Gusano is absolutely loaded down! :cool:

Your dinner looked delicious :drooling:
Did you catch them Rainbows man? I notice there are 8 which is the limit on the Hooch! ;)

:cheers:

Kevin

You are kidding about watering with beer, aren't you? I don't think a little beer harms pepper plants, as I have beer traps spill into nearby soil without causing problems.
No the beer was for ME! lol

Guru, your garden is really taking off man!
It looks great!
That Gusano is absolutely loaded down! :cool:

Your dinner looked delicious :drooling:
Did you catch them Rainbows man? I notice there are 8 which is the limit on the Hooch! ;)

:cheers:

Kevin
Yep! Caught em in Blue Ridge a couple weeks ago. The heads and guts went into the tea barrel and are the reason for the GREEN on the Fatalli! :)

Great pictures throughout! The fatalii mother is a beauty. Well done!
Thanks dude. I wish I had a better camera, but this one does ok i guess. Things are just really getting into full growth mode. Water, water, food, right now :mouthonfire: All this rain in Atlanta we have been having is really making em balance out too. Its rained at least once a day for the last week or so off and on. I'll be top dressing the mothers and other seedlings/cuttings with some guano, just to take advantage of the rain watering them in for me. The fatalii mom is good and will take a pass; the trout brew went into her before all the rain hit us and got her all STanky GreeN! lol :lol: I noticed some of her hidden inner leaves showed a slight yellowing, around that time and just decided to feed. She has loads of pods right now that I may pick green, just to try and get a year like 2006. Her flower set right now is optimal, pigment perfect jungle green, main stalk gaining girth, node spacing tight, new mains rocketing through the middle that will be the new main branches when she comes in this winter. Can you tell I love gardening? :crazy:
Anyway, all this fatalii talk made me wanna take some pictures for you.

5863393361_32520df229_b.jpg

5863948196_0febf71c58_b.jpg

5863395027_122a22674e_b.jpg

5863394251_d60f848fa2_b.jpg

5863949248_6e407fd90e_b.jpg

5863388965_87c857665c_b.jpg

5863389779_f5edce2af9_b.jpg

5863391605_b4d4c5971c_b.jpg

Oh my god dude, that thing is really freaking impressive. And those pods are looking perfect for a Fatalii.

So go into a little bit more depth on the fish tea for me if you would. Do you just stick a fish in a bucket with water and bubble it till its all gone?

Nice-looking overwintered plants! :cool:

BTW, I happened to notice that bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your cutting pics...

but it is never mentioned in your instructions? :think:

Is it just sittin there lookin purdy? :lol: Or do you use it as part of your technique, and if so, how, and how much?

I know I can look elsewhere, but do cuttings get a 'jump' over plantings from seed, in your opinion? I've got several nice plants I'd like to try and dup for fall harvest, and I need to get started now to make that happen. As AJ pointed out in his thread, it's like 164 degrees here this week, which is way too early for this kind of weather. I'm afraid I've had all my harvest I'll get (which wasn't bad!) until fall. I have a ton of blossoms, but most will likely not make.

So anyway...I'm ready to get started on fall plantings and cuttings sound fun!
Cuttings are great! To answer your question, a cutting from an adult plant, once established, is basically a miniature version of a fully mature pepper plant. They can be kept in relative stasis (like for compact overwintering) by keeping them root-bound, but once they are potted-up/planted-out, they can start producing almost immediately. :cool: I have had them produce new flowers, and even bear fruit while still growing out of a dixie cup! :shocked:

Oh my god dude, that thing is really freaking impressive. And those pods are looking perfect for a Fatalii.

So go into a little bit more depth on the fish tea for me if you would. Do you just stick a fish in a bucket with water and bubble it till its all gone?
For the fish tea, I simply put the parts of fish that get discarded into a 5 gallon bucket, add rain water, aerate for a day or so, and then either store or use. I like to aerate until a great foam or head builds up. This is when you know your aerobic microbes are colonizing the heaviest.

Nice-looking overwintered plants! :cool:

BTW, I happened to notice that bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your cutting pics...

but it is never mentioned in your instructions? :think:

Is it just sittin there lookin purdy? :lol: Or do you use it as part of your technique, and if so, how, and how much?
I add a cap full to my water glass. While they set in the glass the new cut draws in the water and peroxide to promote root formation while disinfecting at the same time.

Cuttings are great! To answer your question, a cutting from an adult plant, once established, is basically a miniature version of a fully mature pepper plant. They can be kept in relative stasis (like for compact overwintering) by keeping them root-bound, but once they are potted-up/planted-out, they can start producing almost immediately. :cool: I have had them produce new flowers, and even bear fruit while still growing out of a dixie cup! :shocked:

Thanks for the response, lg!

Then how do you use it, tablespoon per gallon? Foliar spray?
I used the entire 5 gallons to water the 65 gallon container. It really depends on how much fish you put into the ratio of water. You can make something that is VERY concentrated but that would take a lot of fish. I prob had about 2.5 pounds of guts and heads for that 5 gallon container. You can also foliar feed with it as well, but you would have to dilute it a lot. I prefer a light kelp or worm casting for sprays.

Back