Best Iron Skillet for Smoking?

AlabamaJack said:
CH...I bought this set at Sams Club about 8 or 9 years ago...it was 39.95 at that time...great set...looks like anything else, it has gone up in price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-5-Cast-Iron...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I like that style of dutch oven though 4 qt (looks bigger than that sortof). the ones I saw were 5 qt & more like a rectangle casserole dish, & asking $50 for it.

well I bought me some cast iron yesterday, of course I put the 12" skillet in the cart 1st, then stood there looking at the pieces & thinking to myself..... you know I do use more than 1 skillet for some meals..... so I threw a 10" skillet in the cart.
then I was looking at a sq.grill skillet (only 1 left).....thinking that looks nice also...threw that in my cart....started looking at the 8" skillet & dutch oven....I'm like NO I cant do that!! this is enough for right now :lol:

they may sell them cheaper elsewhere, like on ebay or ?, I got these 3 for about $57 (w/tax)
I cleaned them & reseasoned them.

DSCF2347.jpg

I would like to season the heck out of these, using them for everything I cook. this may be a stupid question but can you use these skillets for boiling/cooking rice n' beans ? I ask cuz of all the water at start time, & the sticking to it factor, or not an issue ?

chilehunter said:
I like that style of dutch oven though 4 qt (looks bigger than that sortof). the ones I saw were 5 qt & more like a rectangle casserole dish, & asking $50 for it.

well I bought me some cast iron yesterday, of course I put the 12" skillet in the cart 1st, then stood there looking at the pieces & thinking to myself..... you know I do use more than 1 skillet for some meals..... so I threw a 10" skillet in the cart.
then I was looking at a sq.grill skillet (only 1 left).....thinking that looks nice also...threw that in my cart....started looking at the 8" skillet & dutch oven....I'm like NO I cant do that!! this is enough for right now :lol:

they may sell them cheaper elsewhere, like on ebay or ?, I got these 3 for about $57 (w/tax)
I cleaned them & reseasoned them.

DSCF2347.jpg

I would like to season the heck out of these, using them for everything I cook. this may be a stupid question but can you use these skillets for boiling/cooking rice n' beans ? I ask cuz of all the water at start time, & the sticking to it factor, or not an issue ?
I know I'm still a newb but my mom has done beans in those before. So I'm pretty sure you can!

cool CH...you got a good set there...

coat good with veetable oil or peanut oil...stick in the oven or on your grill at 500 and let them cure...then wipe out, and repeat process if you want to quick cure it...

once they are cured, not much sticks to them very good....

you can use them anywhere you would a regular pot/skillet but it is best to use them for foods with a respectable amount of grease in it...IMO...

well I made some rice n' beans in the 10" skillet, no stick, no problem!
I thought they would but nope!
I'm gonna use these for everything I cook!
if I cant cook it in a cast iron skillet or wok, I guess its not worth cooking :lol:

chilehunter said:
if I cant cook it in a cast iron skillet or wok, I guess its not worth cooking :lol:
No more BBQ ribs for Mr. CH? :(
:lol:

I didn't know there was any other way to cook bacon...

PhatManDerek said:
Yes on the foreman.

that way you can really get the grease of the bacon and eat a little more then you should.

I really don't see how you can get more greasy than frying it in its own grease...I don't ever add oil when frying bacon...is that what you mean...I suppose I just don't understand what you are trying to say (I'm kinda dense, but then again it may be that Michigan/Texas language barrier :lol: )

AlabamaJack said:
I really don't see how you can get more greasy than frying it in its own grease...I don't ever add oil when frying bacon...is that what you mean...I suppose I just don't understand what you are trying to say (I'm kinda dense, but then again it may be that Michigan/Texas language barrier :lol: )

I think he means it has less grease when cooked on the foreman grill....now why on earth someone would want less of a good thing is beyond me :lol:

AlabamaJack said:

Well I understand what you mean AJ. I usually grill bacon, never fry. You'd never want to fry cheap bacon either as it's full of water. OK I microwave bacon too.

rainbowberry said:
Well I understand what you mean AJ. I usually grill bacon, never fry. You'd never want to fry cheap bacon either as it's full of water. OK I microwave bacon too.

Mrs. Blues has also microwaved bacon. She even has a special platter she uses for that purpose. Its an abomination I tell ya'!
Pure bacon abuse of the lowest sort and laws should be enacted to prevent such acts of baconicide!!

Cheers, TB.

Yeah it tastes like sh*t microwaved I know, it goes all rubbery, it will never crisp like the grill does it, mind you I've managed to get it crispy by cooking in the microwave by cooking it to death.

chilehunter said:

ok I forgot to add the grill in there.

PhatManDerek said:
You probably could and start a trend toboot.

See I'm using mine to cook bacon with

I agree, people make ribs on a pan in the oven so why not in a big skillet ?

RB - you should make a meal to show us (THP) here. you've never shown a meal you've cooked.

chilehunter said:
RB - you should make a meal to show us (THP) here. you've never shown a meal you've cooked.

Yes, good idea CH, RB should teach us how to make English food. :onfire:

Yes, RB teach us! All I know about is fish and chips wrapped in newspaper.

You know I can't cook! The last time I did a roast dinner I put a chicken fillet in for the same amount of time as the roast potatoes.

Back