Best Iron Skillet for Smoking?

Before I thought about the thread & post I've used the search button but I couldn't find anything on a good iron skillet?

Anyways I'm going to be buying an Iron Skillet this weekend for searing, browning, and whatever floats my boat, Before I buy I like to hear some of your favorites skillets you have used?

My spending limit for this weekend on a skillet is $25 usd

Just get one with a metal handle - not wood. You'll probably want to use it in the oven sooner or later:-)

MrArboc said:
Just get one with a metal handle - not wood. You'll probably want to use it in the oven sooner or later:-)
I was planing on getting the skillet with metal handles.

Sorry if this sounds so much like a noob question, but it is a noob question.

Man I love cooking and my food tastes better then restaurant food does!

31xKfXvs%2BJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BT5A8C

With cast iron, teh cheaper the better

What TCG said...^^^

That's a griddle, or a fajita pan.

You may like what I have. A cast iron griddle, flat on one side, raised on the other for grill marks. Pancakes or burgers! It's kinda messy though, since both sides are seasoned.

Yeah THP...but I bet it's handy...

thehotpepper.com said:
You may like what I have. A cast iron griddle, flat on one side, raised on the other for grill marks. Pancakes or burgers! It's kinda messy though, since both sides are seasoned.

AlabamaJack said:
Yeah THP...but I bet it's handy...
Yes, That's what I was thinking I wanted, This way I can make slider hamburgers as well as searing meat.

hey PhatMan...if you don't have any other cast iron cooking stuff...you don't know what you are missing....I don't know how many pieces I have...maybe 20 or so all in all...

AlabamaJack said:
hey PhatMan...if you don't have any other cast iron cooking stuff...you don't know what you are missing....I don't know how many pieces I have...maybe 20 or so all in all...
Don't worry Alabama, I will be collecting cast iron stuff over time, I've just moved out of my folks home about 2 months ago and it will take some time to get everything cast iron I need.

And yes I actually do know what I'm missing, My mom has a few pieces she doesn't want to give me at all.

peter pepper said:
if you have a Cabelas by you look there. They have sets that aren't too bad of priced. Pretty decent selection.
I wish we did, The only other store we have that would be close to Cabalas is Bed & bath beyond.

You can get cast iron anywhere. Any camping store, wal-mart, some hardware stores. You can also get them at places like bed bath & beyond or other places that sell housewares but you'll pay out the nose. Cast iron should be cheap.

Same with woks. Woks & cast iron should be cheap. If it's too expensive, probably means it's got a non-stick coating and is a piece of crap.

If you can only get one piece right now, get you a 12" skillet like I showed. It's got a big flat bottom for searing, but sides as well so it's more versatile. I make hamburgers in mine. As well as steak, eggs, apple pie, cornbread.

Only thing cast iron isn't good for is tomato or other acidic sauces.

And my skillet is probably twice as old as I am :) Got it from my grandma and it's extremely well seasoned, slick as glass.

Txclosetgrower, Thank you I will look at a 12in skillet and I will look at the flat one as well.

Hopefully I can get them both. By the way doesn't Gorge Foreman have a grill out now that actually have a cast iron skillet top & bottom?

PhatManDerek said:
Txclosetgrower, Thank you I will look at a 12in skillet and I will look at the flat one as well.

Hopefully I can get them both. By the way doesn't Gorge Foreman have a grill out now that actually have a cast iron skillet top & bottom?

George foreman would be better non-stick IMO lol, it doesn't get hot enough.

And are you talking about ones that are completely flat? Or the ones that are pretty much flat but oval shaped like the fajita pans? Fajita pan = comal btw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comal_(cookware)

200px-Comal2.jpg

Or are you talking bout the rectangular griddles?
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Original-Finish-Grid-Griddle/dp/B00004S9I0
41G7Y2Q1V6L._SS400_.jpg

Back