• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! TOAST Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
rooze, there's enough awesome in those photos for 3 throwdowns!

*****I TOLD you guys rooze'd be a dark horse in his first throwdown! :clap:

I call shenanigans on the brunch though.......unless you started cooking it a 2AM!! :rofl:

Going to Retta's for a cookout today......grocery store tonight.....cooking tomorrow. :cool:

rooze - amazing, simply amazing. i haven't been able to enter for a while and after seeing that, i don't think i'll enter this one either.

rooze, there's enough awesome in those photos for 3 throwdowns!

*****I TOLD you guys rooze'd be a dark horse in his first throwdown!

I call shenanigans on the brunch though.......unless you started cooking it a 2AM!!

Thanks Paul....appreciate it coming from a contender of your caliber :cool:

You are correct on the Brunch!! it was quite late....my wife had to work, unfortunately, so it beggered up timing a lot....made the bread early, then started throwing stuff around the kitchen around 1 ish....sat and ate around 5.30....

thanks Buddy....please do enter.....it's fun for everyone looking at the pics of other folks' creations, specially when there's booze and shenanigans involved :beer:

Frydad, hang around a couple hours and I'll be getting my ingredients and methods up, it'll give you a head start...[hope you're making bread around....now!] :eek: :)

Can't wait to see the madness coming out out later today and tomorrow.....great job already by JayT

Happy 4th again !!

"Bad Bottom's Brunch Bonanza"

Wanted to make a tribute to the USA on its anniversary of Independence. This "Toast" goes out to everyone who's made a sacrifice to keep us free, with special thoughts going back to that dreadful day in our recent history when we were reminded that liberty and freedom comes at a cost.

Enjoy!!

American Club meets English Bacon and Egg Butty -

Ingredients

Fresh apple Juice
cinnamon
whipping cream
champagne
jalapeno
habanero
apples
50:50 wheat/white flour
Great River organic bread flour
instant yeast
sugar
fenugreek leaves (methi)
Ancient Reds sweet pepper
salt
olive oil
butter
apple cider vinegar
louisiana hot sauce
hungarian paprika
potatoes
cinnamon
Puya Peppers
Guiajillo Peppers
ground reshampatti chile powder
mushrooms
cherry brandy
tequila
cilantro
garlic
Italian parsley
tomatoes (beefs, romas and canned)
tarragon
ground pork
Wisconsin Sharp cheddar
spinach
poblano pepper
eggs
andouille sausage
tomato paste
Door County Maple syrup
red bell peppers
strawberries
pineapple
red grapes
dried cranberry
brown sugar
sliced wheat bread for club
Maplewood smoked bacon
coriander powder
ground black pepper
onions
green onions
dijon mustard
beer for drinking
sliced roasted turkey
lettuce
mayo
Door County Cherry Juice

Method
Bread - made 3 styles from 2 doughs, jalapeno baguette for the egg and bacon butty, jalapeno loaf for toast and a flat(ter) fenugreek bread for breadcrumbs and snacking on.
Made dough from 50:50 wheat/white flour, yeast/sugar starter, water, salt then added diced jalapeno and ancient sweet red peppers to one mix and fenugreek leaves with crushed black peppercorns to the other mix. Let rise until doubled in size. For the baguette I rolled out the dough then folded the dough into a roll to make it look purty.

Pork sausages / patties (and some retained for potato dish)
Sliced and toasted bread then baked in oven for 20 minutes 'til dried out then made breadcrumbs in processor. Added ground pork, habanero, jalapeno, salt, pepper, hungarian paprika, reshampatti, tarragon, diced mushrooms, garlic, coriander powder. Mixed this and made sausages and flat patties for the clubs.
For the sausage coating I toasted more bread until almost burnt, ground up with equal amounts of reshampatti powder, did an egg/flour wash and coated the sausages in the crumb/reshampatti mix then pan fried and finished off in oven. Patties coated in flour, pan fried and oven baked.

Bacon
1 1/2 packs of maplewood smoked bacon, pan fried and used in the baguette and club sammies.

Hell Fire Red Sauce

Added garlic, onion, s&p, romas, 1/2 can diced toms, Puya Peppers, guiajillo Peppers, habaneros, ground reshampatti chile powder, Hot Hungarian Paprika, coriander, cilantro to food processor. Sauteed the mix in olive oil added water, cooked for about 2hrs. Added a little tomato paste.

Potato / Andouille
Par boiled potatoes and cooled. Heated oil in CI skillet and cooked in some of the ground sausage mix. Added andouille, onion, s&p, habanero, ancient sweet pepper, italian parsley, cilantro, coriander powder, dijon mustard. Sauteed 'til brown, covered in shredded sharp cheddar and oven baked for about 20 minutes.

Egg Filling for Baguette (egg and bacon butty).
Hollowed out the jalapeno baguette then brushed it inside out with a melted butter mix - butter, Louisiana Hot Sauce, garlic, jalapeno broth.
Then lined the baguette inside with cooked bacon, leaving the ends of the bacon poking out the top, so like a 'U' shape lining.
Made an egg filling - pan fried green onions, andouille, cilantro, red bell pepper, s&p, Louisiana Hot Sauce, diced poblano (in olive oil)....then added 7 beaten eggs and stirred together for a minute only.

Wrapped the jalapeno baguette in foil, poured liquid egg mix into the baguette, folded the bacon over the mix, covered in sharp cheddar and oven baked 'til eggs set, about 35 minutes or so at 350. Then removed the foil and toasted under broiler until crisp and brown.

Fruit and Dressing

Added dried cranberries, fresh strawberries, habanero, cherry juice, brown sugar, balsamic, s&p to pan and reduced, using a potato masher to crush down the fruits. Pureed the mix then added apple cider vinegar and cherry brandy, (vinegar equivalent to about 10% of the puree volume, so not too acidic)
Cored a pineapple, diced, added red grapes, strawberries and mixed lightly with the dressing, loaded into pineapple halves and added a little more dressing.

Cocktail - Apple Pie with Cream

Strained some of the jalapeno broth/puree, added tequila (1 shot), apple juice (1 shot), topped-up with champagne, added diced apple, whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, garnished with apple peel. TOAST!

Toast for Potatoes

Sliced the jalapeno bread, toasted both sides then dipped the top only in a beaten egg and pan fried with s&p. This went under the potato mix.

Bacon Dressing for spinach
blend of dijon, olive oil, balsamic in equal parts, crumbled bacon salt, whisked and drizzled on spinach.

Club Sammies
Made a support for the sammies by drilling holes in a bamboo cutting board and inserting steel skewers.
Mixed up the club layers with toasted wheat bread, mayo, lettuce, beef tomato, jalapeno, pork patties, bacon, bacon dressing, cilantro, roast turkey, red bell pepper.

Jalapeno Poached eggs
Used the remaining pureed jalapeno (broth), added salt, then poached the eggs in the broth. Plated over the potatoes, cracked the yolks then drizzled jalapeno broth over eggs.

Plating
Laid down the egg-dipped toast, covered in potato mix, hell-fire red sauce, poached egg on top, drizzle of jalapeno broth, pork sausages next to toasts with a drizzle of Door County maple syrup and hell-fire red reduction on sausage. Placed a layer of spinach, dressed with bacon dressing, cut the egg-stuffed jalapeno baguette into 4 large slices (discarded end pieces), lay on spinach, dressed with jalapeno slices and shredded cheddar/cilantro. Served extra fruit dressing on the side, that stuff is good on anything.
Assembled the clubs, poured the drink and then sat down and ate it.

Happy 4th!

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

Good to see some food - FINALLY!!! ;)

Rooze - holy mejoles! You're setting our expectations for future TD entries really, really high - good show!

JayT - double-yummers there!

Happy 4th everyone! Things are bonkers here. Between Bear's antics and FDKids I managed to get some time to put a teaser together.

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

Fugees an' Funyuns.

Ladies and Gentlemen of THP, please bend over and prepare to have smoke blown up your asses.

I give you PULLED TOAST!!!!!

I used butterbread. Its cheap, but it takes the smoke nicely. Gave it a good rub, put it on some Applewood smoke for a few hours until the connective tissues were obliterated.
Pulled it to pieces, tossed it in some ho-made bbq sauce with added homegrown scotch bonnet.
Served on fluffy butter bread, topped with Pikliz (the recipe is on red-hot recipes).
The drink is a 7 year aged Kentucky Bourbon (to make up for the fact that Paulky doesn't like boiled peanuts...hope this makes up for it!).
I added some boiled peanuts on the side. The perfect 4th of July treat!!

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

Frydad's Pulled Toast

Bear came over. Me and sum decided to make him some BBQ. I busted out an old recipe handed down to me from my relatives in the holler.

PULLED TOAST.

Sure, we've all had pulled pork before, but pulling toast takes a special skill. I gave the toast a good rub. I like to let it sit for a few hours so the flavors can marinate.

Smoked it on apple wood, low and slow. Took it off and pulled it...the damn thing was so good it basically fell apart.
Meanwhile, I mixed up some barbeque sauce with diced homegrown scotch bonnets. The pulled toast was mixed with the sauce, and served on butter bread.
The whole thing was topped with Pikliz, a spicy pickled mixture of cabbage, onions, peas, carrots, and scotch bonnets.
Served with 7-year bourbon on the rocks and boiled peanuts (with pickles in the brine...so good!!!).

If you haven't had pulled toast before, you 'aint had shit!!!

Good times! Happy 4th!!

FD

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

Hahaha!

Frydad's Pulled Toast

Bear came over. Me and sum decided to make him some BBQ. I busted out an old recipe handed down to me from my relatives in the holler.

PULLED TOAST.

Sure, we've all had pulled pork before, but pulling toast takes a special skill. I gave the toast a good rub. I like to let it sit for a few hours so the flavors can marinate.

Smoked it on apple wood, low and slow. Took it off and pulled it...the damn thing was so good it basically fell apart.
Meanwhile, I mixed up some barbeque sauce with diced homegrown scotch bonnets. The pulled toast was mixed with the sauce, and served on butter bread.
The whole thing was topped with Pikliz, a spicy pickled mixture of cabbage, onions, peas, carrots, and scotch bonnets.
Served with 7-year bourbon on the rocks and boiled peanuts (with pickles in the brine...so good!!!).

If you haven't had pulled toast before, you 'aint had shit!!!

Good times! Happy 4th!!

FD

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

I see bear...that guy is passed out behind a half pint of Jack. Smoked toast. Whoda thunk it. Way to bring teh spiceenesxt with the chili rubbed toast! That's the way a real cowboy cooker would do it.

I am TDed out after last month. If I made toast it would be sliced bread in a toaster with the browning knob set to just under 4, maybe some butter. If you guys want something to NOT vote for I could take a photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back