• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! TOAST Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay progress pics in an orderly fashion. Intrigued!

Making like a pork sausage deal. Added loads of peppers, herbs and spices to ground pork (full list on final post)....toasted up some bread and made some breadcrumbs to add to the pork....
13.jpg

Rolled out the pork into sausage shapes, then made another crumb mix, this time with the toasted bread and a whole heap of Indian reshampatti chili powder which is nice and hot. Dredged the sausages in a flower and egg wash then rolled those happy puppies in this breadcrumb/reshampatti seasoning....
14.jpg

I'm starting to get careless with the camera at this stage, forgetting to take pics 'cos I was getting sloshed on various alcoholic beverages...:beer:

Brunch wouldn't be brunch without taters....made this with some really nice andouille, onions, habs, jalapeno, and other stuff....cooked it then covered it in WI cheese and stuck it in the oven to bake and brown....nice

15.jpg

Then cheese added and baked for a little while. Poached jalapenos simmering for the cocktail and for the poached eggs....ran the jalaps through the blended with the pan water, then retained some broth for the cocktails, added the rest back to the pan and poached the eggs in the jalapeno stock...
addthis1.jpg

Had to make a nice fiery red sauce with various spices, toms, red bells, etc....to tie everything together....more bacon cooking for the club sammies...
16.jpg

Made these pork sausage patties to add more PIG to the club sammies....turned out quite splendidly tasty...
17.jpg

Ok...got this a bit out of sequence, but this is the jalapeno and ancient sweet red pepper baguette that I hollowed out for the bacon and egg filling. This is the classic British "bacon and egg butty", done a little differently. I missed shots of the finished baguette with the filing, but you can see it sliced into 4 pieces on the final pics....was tasty

18.jpg

Last round coming up in a minute....

rooze, that cheese you're using...WI=West India...an imported cheese, right?

This next pic shows plating in progress, it looks a mess 'cos I assembled the 'twin towers' on the dining table, in situ as it were. At first I wanted to make an accurate Z scale of the towers, which would have had each club sammie at 79.9" high. I'd figured a way to construct it and had the rods and a steel plate, but couldn't get my hands on welding gear at such short notice, so I had to scale down and use wire skewers screwed into a bamboo cutting board...

I built the clubs up so that each one could be lifted off the skewers like a mini club sammie....well actually not so mini!! . used some filling variations on a club, but tried to retain some authenticity by using some really nice store bought roast turkey, and of course the bacon, lettuce tomato etc.
19.jpg

So here's a final plating at a kind of weird angle.

Started out making 4 toast slices and dipping them in egg batter - pan frying and plating at the front. Covered the toast in the potato/andouille mix, served with a jalapeno poached egg and covered with the hot sauce. The breadcrumb/spice encrusted pork sausages are plated rather haphazardly on the sides....:beer:
Behind that is a layer of spinach with a home made bacon dressing - the usual balsamic, dijon, etc, with some added spice. Set the sliced wedges of egg filled baguette on top of the spinach....twin towers in the rear, flanked by the fruit salad with cherry/strawberry/cranberry dressing.

20.jpg

more...
addthis3.jpg

Here's another shot. Oh, I made my take on a traditional apple pie for a cocktail, apple juice with jalapeno broth, tequila, champagne, whipped fresh cream, apple chunks, cinnamon, and an apple peel garnish!
21.jpg

Cocktail - apple pie and cream -
addthis2.jpg

addthis4.jpg

Plated and outside on the deck enjoying the sunshine.....cheers and have a great Holiday!!!

22.jpg

Final post tomorrow with the frills etc...

OMG this is toast on an epic level, I need two weeks to look this over.

rooze, you have the true spirit of throwing down, thanks for jumping in as a newbie and going apesh*t!

I toast you!

Boss,

Could you just close the TD forum for July and award Rooze the crown right now? Save us all the trouble of posting and schtuff for nuthin'.

(that's a compliment to Rooze, just wanted to make that clear! :) )

Boss,

Could you should just close the TD forum for July and award Rooze the crown right now? Save us all the trouble of posting and schtuff for nuthin'.

awe don't say that....I've seen what you folks are capable of around here, it's wide open

...and don't forget the bear hasn't posted yet, that guy!

Oh, I made my take on a traditional apple pie for a cocktail, apple juice with jalapeno broth, tequila, champagne, whipped fresh cream, apple chunks, cinnamon, and an apple peel garnish!
You nailed the drink toast! I missed that. Damn you really need a few weeks to look this over.

You will do well if you can condense this all into your final post.

Bear... that guy...

He's passed out in the tub... again.

I threw a blanket over him and tucked him in tight for the night.

True Story.

lots of drunken mayhem this weekend, Hot Pooper came down for a visit, he got here friday and we drank then passed out and then we went to the Nascar race in Daytona on Saturday, then on Sunday we got really drunk and cooked shit, nothing epic like rooze but consider it a 3am drunken waffle house meal lol :) will post pics tomorrow, Im still drunk and HP is passed out. :) :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back