• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Romy6 and Newtune's amateur grow contest!

So Al(Newtune) and I have decided to start a late season grow contest . We both are fairly new to growing peppers so any advice along the way will not be frowned on. Just pm me so Al doesn't know( just kidding Al ) :lol: . Any way back to the contest. We both live on the central east coast of Florida so we have a long grow season. One of our fellow chiliheads sent us some yellow cardi scorpion seeds so her we go. I am going with the lazy,old time trusted method. I picked the two nicest seeds in the bag!

photo-95.jpg

Then I put them in a small pot and set them out on my front porch.

photo-96.jpg

First one to get a ripe pod wins! Can only use 1 plant. But start as many as you want. :eek: I know where you live Al so look out.

Yeah, it's on. However, Jamie has a few years experience on me so it'll be interesting. I've decided to use this opportunity to do a little A/B control experiment. I've sown directly into the pots just like Jamie does but I'm also using the paper towel/ziplock method in parallel. I've used the paper towel/ziplock method successfully on everything from pineapples to some very difficult to germinate Palm varieties. So.........we'll see.

Seeds from the Romy6 seed bank.

In pots.

In a papertowel/ziplock

Also started today, but not in the contest, are Purple Beauty Bells, Jalapenos, Datils, and Aji Lemons. Jamie gave me the Purple Beauty Bell seeds he got from another source. The Jalalpenos, Datils, and Aji Lemons are all seeds from pods out of the open pollinated Romy6 pepper jungle. These will be like a box of chocolates; "You never know what you're gonna get".

Oh yeah, the loser buys the winner dinner. I'm already trying to decide where Jamie is buying dinner. :lol:

Romy, I love the way your pic makes the seeds look as big as your big toenail. :rofl:

This looks like some good fun. I'll be keeping an eye on this one ...

Good luck to both you and may the winner not be a NOLE's fan.

Go GATORS!!!! or any team that beats the Noles.....

Rich

Quick update and photo's. After seeing that Al started about 12 seeds and I only started 2 a little chili elf woke my ass up. I have started 6 more using the paper towel method . We have decided to wait 30 days and then we will each pic 1 plant to use in the contest. :dance:

photo-98.jpg

photo-99.jpg

Newtune your going down! :beer:

Nooooooo..........not more freakishly large seeds. How can I possibly win if you keep using Gigantasaurus seeds?

Yeah i gave you the runts! Ha ha. Mine came from sherwood forrest. I think yours came from the Smurf's :onfire:

Day 3. Well, my seeds in the papertowel have swollen to about 3 times their original thickness almost overnight. I've been using a jewelers loupe to inspect them. I expect to see hooks tomorrow. :party: Of course, nothing to report on the pots yet. Next pics as soon as I'm "Hooked-up". I think Jamie sensed something was happening because he asked me earlier today if I had been checking them.

THE FORCE IS STRONG

Back