• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Romy6 and Newtune's amateur grow contest!

So this feels like deja vu but but here we go. Sunday I found my first hook from one of the seeds I put in the pot. Here is a nice pic of it!

100_2172.jpg

So that inspired me to get the seeds that were in the paper towel into some soil!

I had a little help from my Angel. Sorry Al you are in trouble. :onfire:

Here they are in the wet paper towel waiting for transfer into there isolation chambers!

100_2174.jpg

Then my lil angel planted the seeds. :dance:

100_2175.jpg

My angel watering them in. :cool:

100_2176.jpg

Then into the sprouting station :lol:

100_2177.jpg

Sorry, Jamie. Your little angel is actually a secret double agent working for me. Her mission, known as "Ring of fire", is to eradicate Yellow Cardi Scorpions at all cost. She has been instructed to swap tags and seedlings with other varieties and make sure that no actual Scorpions survive. She will deny all of this, of course. But know that you have a mole working for the other side.

I currently have 3 sprouts from the papertowel/ziplock set and 1 sprout from the directly sown in soil set. So I have actually had a higher success rate from the papertowel/ziplock method.

I know, I know........pics or it didn't happen. I will post pics after work.

Wow good contest so far. I think you guys need to add a 2nd option. Whomever gets the BIGGEST pepper in 90 days wins part 2!!

Lght. That sound like a good :idea: I will get with Al and make it happen!
I would love a free meal and maybe a new car :party:

Okay well I got another hook from the seeds started in soil. 100% germination without paper towel!

Here is a pic of the two lil guys!

100_2205.jpg

Day 9.

3 of the 4 seeds germinated in a papertowel/ziplock, and later potted up into party cups, have sprouted.

Only one of the 6 seeds sown directly into soil has sprouted in about the same period of time.

So for me, the germination rate in the papertowel/ziplock is higher at this stage of the game. Regardless, I have 4 seedlings up and 21 days left to pick a plant as a keeper.

The biggest pepper in 90 days sounds cool to me. Gotta get my boys to hit the weights.

Whats wrong with my camera?

I just wipe it down with some Pledge about every 10 years whether it needs it or not. Works like a champ.

Day 12

Well, my 4th of 4 seeds germinated in the papertowel/ziplock and later potted up to a partycup sprouted today. We had 2 inches of rain last night in about 20 minutes time, which, may have helped.

So, now my papertowel/ziplock germination rate is at 100%. Out of 6 seeds sown directly into pots I still only have 1 sprout. I'm sort of puzzled by this. Moisture has been constant with all seeds in both cases. I haven't given up on the potted seeds, however. Time will tell.

How about a picture with that old school camera ! :rofl:

Old school is where it's at.

Day 13.
Finally, the 2nd of six seeds sown directly into soil sprouted this morning. Still a poor percentage to date. But, I'll keep checking 'em everyday anyway. Very strange.

I guess the growth inhibitor Jamie put on my seeds is actually working. :eek:

Jamie has to buy me dinner. What's the prize in your contest RTF? You guys are running a close race. :eek:

Sorry it took me a while to reply. We have three categories (1) first ripe pod, (2) tallest plant, (3) thickest stem. For each category, the winner gets his choice of hot sauce.

Well it has been a sproutful weekend. I had two guys pop there heads up yesterday and two today. So 6 of 8 germination :dance: . We have 14 days to pick or bread and butter and I wish I had started all my seeds directly in the soil. I think the 6 that were in papertowels are a week behind . And we have decided that whomever grows the biggest pod also gets a prize!

Pics 2 of the 4 sprouts from this weekend!

100_2238.jpg

100_2239.jpg

And the 1st two sprouts that were put directly in soil. Way ahead of the papertowel babies.

100_2240.jpg

Day 23.

Jamie and I have decided to choose 4 plants each for the contest. Since I only have 5 and they're all relatively the same size my choice is easy. Eeny-meeny-miney-moe.

The family photo.

All sporting true leaves.

My 4 babies are looking alot like Al's just much healthier :lol: Here are a few pics!

First family shot of all the babies and a few others.JJ insisted on being in the pic!

100_2272.jpg

And a close up of the four contestants!

100_2271.jpg

Thought I would give a small update. My plants are doing well. Just potted them up to 3 gals. Here are a few pics.

Before potting up. The biggest two are a Douglah and choc bhut( not in contest). Others are Cardi's

photo-137.jpg

Back