• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Yield Container vs Garden

No question, in the ground produces much better for me. Especially those big, rangley ones like 7 Pots and Numex. Had a leftover Fatalii last year, put it into a 5 gal. pot, yield and size was minimally 2x greater in the ground. My experience in my environment, your mileage may vary for your conditions.

yield container versus ground

please adjust for your own conditions and try to maximize per YOUR requirements
it may be the local climate will suggest a two pronged approach is best
try to figure the length of frost free conditions into the equation
if you need to provide heat or other life support it sure is less likely to
injure a potted plant to move when you 'need' to

we often forget the plants have been growing without interventions for some time

we might think what we are giving is "best" and they may like something completely different (more simple )

good growing try a few different strategies if you have space and time for them
the best way to find out is to grab the bull by the horns and have at it

I would say containers hands down as you can totally control the environment unlike plants in the ground. Most people don't "optimize" their potted plants that's why they don't get good yields. For example MIPEPPERGUY said he's yields went down after he put his plant into a 5 gallon container. Well a 5 gallon container is no where near the size of an "optimal" container for peppers. I would go with at least 15 gallons per plant. I have a friend who's a botanist and teaches for the local college and has been growing plants for close to 30 years. She directed me from trying to grow in the ground and steered me to container growing for peepers and I've never looked back. If you have a large container, good rich soil, optimal fertilizing you can easily yield a lb of peppers per plant per week and even more in hydro.

Just what I need, a yard filled with 15 gal. containers for the 100+ peppers (not to mention 30 or so tomatoes). Totally unrealistic. I garden because it's fun, not an obsession. Somehow, every year I manage to "bumble" my way into growing more peppers than I can possibly use or give away. Start'um, plant'um, pick'um keeping it as simple as possible.

Just what I need, a yard filled with 15 gal. containers for the 100+ peppers (not to mention 30 or so tomatoes). Totally unrealistic. I garden because it's fun, not an obsession. Somehow, every year I manage to "bumble" my way into growing more peppers than I can possibly use or give away. Start'um, plant'um, pick'um keeping it as simple as possible.

Makes perfect since in your situation, however I'm not really a Gardner. I only took up gardening because I wanted peppers for making my own sauces and powders for cooking. For me it's all about the maximum yield and getting as many peppers as I can as I can. No matter how many pounds I end up with I never seem to have enough peppers that's why I've dedicated a lot of time and effort and research on how to get MORE PEPPERS!

Maybe from now on if you "think" something is right, you might want to state that it is your opinion and not FACT. Especially when you are trying to "help" a fellow grower. Giving advise as "FACT" and not opinion is just going to confuse people. This is really troubling considering that you have claimed to be a novice chili grower on several occasions. Even the most respected experts on this forum don't offer advise as FACT or TRUTH or THE HOLY WORD OF THE CHILI GODS.

Again, I am not saying your advise is wrong, you seem to know your stuff most of the time but the advise we give each other is not a competition, there is no need for any of us to be "more right" than each other. I think that most people that visit this forum are intelligent enough to take many differing opinions and decide for themselves what is right for their particulat situation.

It is a FACT that hydroponics outgrow field crops...

Maybe from now on if you should do some research before stating that....hahaha:)

"Maybe from now on if you "think" something is right, you might want to state that it is your opinion and not FACT."

I was trying to be nice by saying I think....Bu the fact is I know...

"I have a friend who's a botanist and teaches for the local college and has been growing plants for close to 30 years. She directed me from trying to grow in the ground and steered me to container growing for peepers and I've never looked back"

It so funny....yea, do not take my word for it, maybe a Botanist...

Here what we will do... I will post a link on fact about how hydroponics outperform inground conventional field crops.

http://www.androidworld.com/prod26.htm

Now to those who say in ground is better...CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE SCIENTIFIC INFORMATION...a link? That states that growing in ground has more yield PER SQUARE FOOT?

Just do not want anyone misled....

I would have to say there are too many variables to come right out and say which one is going to produce more. Now if everything was perfect I imagine in ground would out produce potted plants simply because of the root growth. However, if you use a 100 gallon pot who's to say.

Some day, after years of schooling and experience, I hope to be as smart as you Capsicum. Grow me some peepers in hydro!

"However, if you use a 100 gallon pot who's to say"

That is a good point, economics aside....

"Some day, after years of schooling and experience, I hope to be as smart as you Capsicum. Grow me some peepers in hydro! "

haha very funny....Good joke...

I know someone who had a very large harvest for their very first time growing because they studied hydro...This person was NOT into plants like me, just took the initiative.
Again the OP asked what yields more per square foot, not what is economical in a situation.....

You pay more upfront cost per acre of hydroponics...so there is no increase in yield per square foot?

Wow!!!!!

Chili out is right. Perhaps my initial wording is what may have caused the eruption. I did not mean or intend to mean anything "Hydro" simply garden vs container, pail, large plastic holder whatever.
I will endorse Potawie's response that up here when the grow season is coming to an end and it's turning "chilly" both day and night that I can follow the sun in containers. Thereafter was the issue of contanerizing the not so elite species that I merely grow and spotting them at my sisters as she has more sun all season due to the size of back yard and X/Y coordinates of said back yard.
Therefore my main question has been answered, that being my favorites should stay at my place in the ground or garden and those not so sacred can go it pots/ containers/pails and spotted there in plastic filled with soil.

I see AJ with great container plants, I see Windchicken with great in-ground plants. That is a fact, everything else here is based on way too many variables to be considered absolute.

I should have mentioned or at least asked, when I was involved in Hydro many years ago we called the plant holder a "basket" not a container. And ProMix HP or anything that resembled soil was shunned upon. That was a long time ago...

I think the best research out there is your own; try some plants in your pots, some in your soil, and see what works best for you personally.

I should have mentioned or at least asked, when I was involved in Hydro many years ago we called the plant holder a "basket" not a container. And ProMix HP or anything that resembled soil was shunned upon. That was a long time ago...

Yea, I like drain to waste soilless (promix,coco chips,ect.) because the medium can be thrown away, not reused. Large hydro production farms do NOT really use medium that has to be sterilized and then reused again simpley because it costs too much in time to sterilize, it is to expensive and time consuming. If you follow the commercial scale growers you can bet it is a good choice for the hobby grower. After trying many forms of hydroponics I found soilless container growing one of the best and simplest forms of hydroponics.

I think what we had here was a failure to communicate. My apologies to the OP, as this really did turn into something other than giving him the advise that he had asked for. I wish you the best with your grow.
I think it is discussions like this that bring out a lot of good subjects.

I have to say LIGHT said it best.

Do what works best for you, there is no best way to grow. There are as many ways to grow as there are growers, and if you listen to everyone's "proven facts" then you'll just get confused sorting out all the B.S.

Amen Derek...tell it like it is...

Back