• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

container Yield Container vs Garden

I would "think" that a natural garden, properly spaced may produce a higher yield.
Anyone have data to validate this or is it just my moms growing techniques talking. As an FYI she hates my T5 lights and thinks that may be why some are pimply or not as big yet as "I " was hoping for the Canadian jump or kick start.
Thoughts ?

more room for roots equals a bigger plant which equals a bigger yield. Unless you are using those massive tree pots, a garden will beat pots every time. The problem is, unless you have a cold frame over your peppers, you might not get fully developed/ripe pods before the killing frost comes.

I would think this is a big ol' "it depends."

The advantage to growing in pots is that you have more control over the plants growing conditions, to a degree. My problem with growing in pots is that the roots are more subject to temperature swings, as you don't get the sort of buffering effect you'd have in the ground. As a result, they dry out pretty quickly around here- towards the middle of summer I need to water daily, which means I was constantly flushing nutes from the soil, which means they constantly needed to be replaced. Up north, I don't think this would be as much of an issue, the faster warming of the roots might actually be a boon.

As I'm mostly a hobby grower without the sort of time to devote to looking out for my plants every day, I find growing in the ground is much easier. If you slip up once on a potted plant, you can really hurt its progress, with plants in the ground you really only need to amend the planting area at the beginning of the season and not worry about it for a few months. The roots are also unrestrained in their growth.

I suppose you could potentially maximize yield in a pot of sufficient size if you knew exactly what your plants needed and were willing to stay on top of their care. I don't think it's worth all of the effort. I for one know I'm absent-minded and forget to fertilize or water, so my potted plants always end up producing less than the ones in the ground.

It is a proven FACT growing in containers yield more per square foot. Hydroponics yield more then conventional(inground) farming, container growing IS hydroponics. Just to clear it up.

It is a proven FACT growing in containers yield more per square foot. Hydroponics yield more then conventional(inground) farming, container growing IS hydroponics. Just to clear it up.

I would like to see how AJ would weigh in on this topic considering he has done some very professional grows that we have all seen, in both container and ground. He probably even has some hard evidence, in the form of numbers, to back up his opinion. I would love to see the hard numbers that you claim proves to be absolute FACT. I am not saying you're wrong but that's an awful strong statement that would need some pretty serious science to become FACT.

I'm limited to a small area for in ground when I keep the real sun in the equation. Have another strip of in ground area but the cherry tree quickly sucks up the sun. My good in ground area gets sun from sun up (once in clears the fence) to apprx 14 or 1500h and then only heat. The containers or grow bags or my sisters place( she doesnt work and if influenced) can move containers. I can do same with some here but how much sun in full grow season is required other than lots?
I use a glass patio table for some containers but cram them in to get max. If I put the containers on the lawn the lawn gets F'd.
It's crossed my mind to build something for my roof to harness a
More sun but that is just wrong in many ways.

Key this year is pick my best favorites and give them the garden and I guess try my luck at containers both here and sisters.?

This is true, I thought we were talking soil. I'd imagine tho that if you had a massive garden size hydro container, it would produce more than a average pot sized hydro setup

Not sure if this applies to peppers, but I've heard that container gardening makes over and underwatering much more difficult. Unfortunatly I have no experience with it, having only grown in ''open'' soil. Depending on the strain you're growing, you might need to finish off or start your plants indoors. That's where containers really shine.

this was just a quik link I found, I am sure you could find something better if you looked.

http://www.androidworld.com/prod26.htm

"Hydroponics gives 100 times field yields (not really true)" Growing soilless in container is hydroponics...soilless drain to waste...

"Crops are usually grown in some
inert medium such as sand, gravel, Perlite, or Vermiculite"

ProMIx HP is a hydroponic grow medium.....

"The most important factor is plant spacing or plant
density. Plant density is increased in one or more of the
following ways: (1) grow plants closer together, (2) eliminate
extra walk space between rows,"

If you grow in a high porosity grow medium in pots you will out grow in ground...

Not sure if this applies to peppers, but I've heard that container gardening makes over and underwatering much more difficult. Unfortunatly I have no experience with it, having only grown in ''open'' soil. Depending on the strain you're growing, you might need to finish off or start your plants indoors. That's where containers really shine.

There is no natural wicking of the earth in containers.....

agree with the "it all depends" thing...

if I lived in south Mississippi and had access to that delta land (rich sandy loamy soil), I would only grow in the ground....I have never been able to grow plants in containers like they grew in the ground last year...as far as yield goes...anytime you get a 7 1/2' plant with 8-10 main branches coming out at soil level, you will have a good yield...much better than container...but with that being said, the plants were grown very "scientifically"...soil tested each week and amended to supply what is missing....

I agree if you have good native soil then you should use it. I just thought hydroponics(container growing soilless) yielded more? Maybe in some cases......it is most economical and higher yileding to grow citrus in ground so I could see that be for peppers...

I think in a small space per square foot you might be able to get more out of containers.

I agree if you have good native soil then you should use it. I just thought hydroponics(container growing soilless) yielded more? Maybe in some cases......it is most economical and higher yileding to grow citrus in ground so I could see that be for pepper

I think hydroponics have been proven to outperform soil based growing techniques, although I'm too tired and lazy to Google research to support my statement.

That said, it would be nearly impossible to make a hydro setup big enough to compete with the root area a great outdoor, in-ground garden provides. Even if you just had containers with soilless medium outside, you'd probably need to be using the large sized garbage cans as your pots to really keep it close.

Well to throw my experience out there, I have had better yields in ground as opposed to containers with soiless mix, but I also use plasticulture and fertigation in ground which eliminates most of the watering issues. However, like AJ's experience, my land is an old river bed so it is a beautiful sandy loam so I am blessed. I am going to also agree that "it all depends". I would say the absolute best way to increase yield is to grow more plants.

I would have to disagree with this proven fact. This is a totally unfair and untrue statement in my opinion.
I have better yield in containers only because of my short season and ability to move plants into the greenhouse when cool weather arrives. Plants grown in the ground in a warmer climate should easily outgrow a potted plant, although you can always use huge pots too

+1 what Potawie said.

In proper soil and with good sunlight, water, and nutrition, in-ground plants are always fuller, more robust and more productive:

PB170002.jpg

chicken, those are huge!
I like growing in containers because it's easier for me to get better results, but I have to agree with POTAWIE. the bottom line they're still limited by the pot.

I agree if you have good native soil then you should use it. I just thought hydroponics(container growing soilless) yielded more? Maybe in some cases......it is most economical and higher yileding to grow citrus in ground so I could see that be for peppers...

I think in a small space per square foot you might be able to get more out of containers.

Maybe from now on if you "think" something is right, you might want to state that it is your opinion and not FACT. Especially when you are trying to "help" a fellow grower. Giving advise as "FACT" and not opinion is just going to confuse people. This is really troubling considering that you have claimed to be a novice chili grower on several occasions. Even the most respected experts on this forum don't offer advise as FACT or TRUTH or THE HOLY WORD OF THE CHILI GODS.

Again, I am not saying your advise is wrong, you seem to know your stuff most of the time but the advise we give each other is not a competition, there is no need for any of us to be "more right" than each other. I think that most people that visit this forum are intelligent enough to take many differing opinions and decide for themselves what is right for their particulat situation.

I'm limited to containers and raised beds, because of my garden layout. I've fine tuned the container grow the past few years to achieve maximum harvests......But I do miss the inground plantings......."roots to roam"
Would you rather have an in ground or above ground pool.....that is, if you had the choice.

Greg

Back