• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Or use Panda plastic or mylar (foil also conducts electricity so isn't the smartest option either)its relatively cheap get it off ebay or from a hydro shop
That's why all my wiring was outside the box as you'd notice (I do have an electrical licence).
I looked around for a larger white box, I'm going to take the lid off a large esky and use that, with one CFL instead and not cover the top, to let heat escape.

I repotted all my plants into new containers and rinsed all their roots in a H202 solution. I made up some new soil as used by neil hippy dude of 50% coir-peat brick and 50% coles potting mix. I used some paper coffee cups, but I'm not sure how long they will last. They have insulated bubbly sides which keep the light out and heat down in the root zone. I also used some plastic cups which I cut some huge holes in the bottoms for drainage and wrapped the outsides in foil.
Paper cups? Noooo, megamoo, don't do it! They start rotting so quickly..... :eek:

(Yes, I learned the hard way once. :lol:)

Yeah it was burnt when i got it. i think paid $10.
i know he started his seedlings really late (around Feb i think for chilli fest sales) so perhaps cos they were so small he may have fed it with too much fertiliser to make them grow quicker? Saying this he is a great guy and I know he grows heaps of chillies and has been in the business for quite awhile so he should know better but its a possibility maybe?

I've been watering a fair bit because the light and the heat from the light dries my seedlings out. They really are bone dry nearly every day.
I've been having the same issue lately. I actually don't think it has to do with the light though.... well, at least not in my case as even my plants not under the light are doing it - plus I never get this problem in spring/summer.

I'm actually wondering if it has to do with humidity (lack thereof)? Does anyone know how that works? Like, say, does evaporation increase with dryer air conditions or something? (Wish I paid more attention in science.... :lol:)

I've been having the same issue lately. I actually don't think it has to do with the light though.... well, at least not in my case as even my plants not under the light are doing it - plus I never get this problem in spring/summer.

I'm actually wondering if it has to do with humidity (lack thereof)? Does anyone know how that works? Like, say, does evaporation increase with dryer air conditions or something? (Wish I paid more attention in science.... :lol:)

Yeah sure does ... that is exactly right ... Winter here (in warmer climates) usually has a cooler but dryer (relative humidity) air causing things to dry out more.

An extract from Wiki to explain my point

When the temperature is high and the relative humidity is low, evaporation of water is rapid; soil dries, wet clothes hung on a line or rack dry quickly, and perspiration readily evaporates from the skin. Wooden furniture can shrink causing the paint that covers these surfaces to fracture.

When the temperature is high and the relative humidity is high, evaporation of water is slow. When relative humidity approaches 100 percent, condensation can occur on surfaces, leading to problems with mold, corrosion, decay, and other moisture-related deterioration.

i know he started his seedlings really late (around Feb i think for chilli fest sales) so perhaps cos they were so small he may have fed it with too much fertiliser to make them grow quicker? Saying this he is a great guy and I know he grows heaps of chillies and has been in the business for quite awhile so he should know better but its a possibility maybe?

Yeah no worries. The plant looks like its got new growth coming through. just the older growth is dying. Anyway i'm signed up to your mailing list when the season approaches.

IMG_5317.jpg

Here is the email response for the potting mix, lucky im nice and sharing! ;) :
We use the compost we make from all the weeds & other vegetation that gets removed during the year. I like it because it retains a lot more moisture than the usual potting mixes.
I then use a little lime, blood & bone,slow release & general garden fert with trace. If they start to yellow up or be a little slow in growth I give them some lawn fert to kick them along. We do get some weeds in the pots but they are easy to pull.

Shame i've got chooks that we give all our scraps to and don't have any vegetation laying around :( So if anyone in perth wants to donate compost to me that would be great :lol:

I planted a few more seeds the other day in a tray of seed raising mix and placed in the hothouse. it had: Jonah 7 pot, Peter Pepper Red, Yellow Bhut, Yellow 7 Pot, Naga Morich and Chocolate Devils Tongue. I don't expect good germination rates on some as there were some of the reject seeds which were either small or brown etc. and i didnt soak or treat these. Plus the soil seems to be getting a slight white mould thing happening, obviously due to the warmth and moisture.

I have been trying to plant more since then but havent found a spare moment due to kids, housework, business, THP etc. :)
Will try to soak some tonight or tomorrow.

Am also disinfecting hydro setup atm for next round soon

Paper cups? Noooo, megamoo, don't do it! They start rotting so quickly..... :eek:

(Yes, I learned the hard way once. :lol:)

I thought they might rot too as they were designed to hold coffee for a very short time but I had nothing else on me at the time. Punching holes in the bottom would probably speed the whole process up too :P Guess I will be repotting again soon :rolleyes:

Anyone know where you can get a stack of opaque plastic cups? All I see are either clear plastic or too small polystyrene.

We use the compost we make from all the weeds & other vegetation that gets removed during the year...

Shame i've got chooks that we give all our scraps to and don't have any vegetation laying around :( So if anyone in perth wants to donate compost to me that would be great :lol:

Am also disinfecting hydro setup atm for next round soon
I've just started a compost bin but its really wet and full of weeds and grass clippings and I have nothing dry or woody to put in there.
You must use the chook poo to fertilize your plants ?
Maybe I missed something but didn't you disinfect the hydro system after the leaf spot thing and already start again?

I thought they might rot too as they were designed to hold coffee for a very short time but I had nothing else on me at the time. Punching holes in the bottom would probably speed the whole process up too :P Guess I will be repotting again soon :rolleyes:

Anyone know where you can get a stack of opaque plastic cups? All I see are either clear plastic or too small polystyrene.

Would 350 mL propagation tubes suffice?

:doh: I have a whole lot of tall black plastic square pots already. Can't believe I didn't think of it before :banghead: I just thought `plastic cups` and got stuck on an idea. Got them last season for chillies and carrots and beans but they needed potting up too soon for my liking. They only have about half as much room as the cups I'm using. But they pack together well inside a box. If I can keep my plants root bound but still growing by supplying them with enough nutes its a good idea.

You've earned yourself a +1 and a Gold Star Harry :clap:

I use 50mm square ones, easier to bunch up and less wasted space in a propagator/light box etc http://stores.ebay.com.au/Grand-Pa-Rons-Shed/50mm-Square-Tubes-/_i.html?_fsub=860192013&_sid=194522013&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
I bought those from the same seller harry listed, grand pa ron, as well as heaps of 100mm square pots to re pot seedlings into later.
Good seller, combines postage so it's not too pricey. Also he was a self employed tradie (like me) who stuffed up his career and life by taking a fall so now can't work anymore, which everyday, scares the hell out of me since that's the nature of my work, ridiculous places I'm expected to climb and for what? Life long disability/unemployment?
So if I'm going to buy any pots or stuff on ebay, I'll buy from him. When I place my order or recieve it, I'm more in the mood to tell people to **** off for their unsafe crappy requirements the next few working days (at least).

My Super Chilli's continue to pump out the flowers (or flower buds at least) at the apex of the plant currently (where it is branching into 2 main stems) I counted 7 flower buds and the smaller plant in the same pot is also now starting to produce a small bud.

I have got rid of the main middle bud on the bigger plant but the smaller ones are simply to small to get rid of yet.

I have never grown Super Chilli's before but I assume they are supposed to be bigger then 10-15cm before they start budding??

Some pics

IMG_20110805_095807.jpg

IMG_20110805_095737.jpg

The plants seem a little bent in that photo as I had just been pulling them over to have a look at the lower stem sites and to strengthen the stems

More pics of the garden as it stands right now.

IMG_20110805_100346.jpg

Way too many seedlings for me but some of them will be given to friends

IMG_20110805_100211.jpg

One of my Aji Lemon Seedlings.

Can't wait for the warmer weather to start cranking up as I need to start potting on some more of my potted indoor seedlings to make way for the newer seedlings (in Jiffy pellets) to be potted up.

I have noticed that the roots seem much more vigorous in the plastic pots as opposed to my Jiffy Pots (although it may simply be a fluke as I only have 2 in the plastic pots) but the jiffy pots are so easy to pot on I am not sure if that advantage will be minimised at a later stage.

I also may need to re-soak some Trinidad Scorpions Butch T's as the current 2 seedlings both have the seeds well and truely stuck on their heads and also are only sitting on the surface (ie they haven't sent deeper roots down). I think this is to do with keeping the jiffy pellets too moist (which is a direct result of me trying to drop water on the stuck seeds to get them to soften.

Also my pathetic Choc Bhut is a runt and I decided I had better soak more seeds of it to make sure I get one for the coming summer (as it is one I am really looking forward to)

The trials and tribulations continue ,... fingers crossed that this is all I have to worry about and I will be doing ok I think

I've just started a compost bin but its really wet and full of weeds and grass clippings and I have nothing dry or woody to put in there.
You must use the chook poo to fertilize your plants ?
Maybe I missed something but didn't you disinfect the hydro system after the leaf spot thing and already start again?

You can put in some newspaper shredded up.
No dont use it too much effort to pick up and only got 2 chooks. Plus wouldnt you have to let it sit awhile so it doesnt burn your plants? /but anyway we have decided to move the chooks into a different part of the backyard as ive grown there too long with chillies and starting to have problems due to not rotating crops. So gonna plant a heap in their current area as ive never grown chillies there and the soil is looking good from thhe chooks and scraps. Only thing is I dont know if the sun is right but im running out of space so will try anyway.

Yes started disinfecting and then someone thought it was just a tub of water and tipped out all my bleach and i didnt have any left so only got half way through it

My Super Chilli's continue to pump out the flowers (or flower buds at least) at the apex of the plant currently (where it is branching into 2 main stems) I counted 7 flower buds and the smaller plant in the same pot is also now starting to produce a small bud.

I have got rid of the main middle bud on the bigger plant but the smaller ones are simply to small to get rid of yet.

I have never grown Super Chilli's before but I assume they are supposed to be bigger then 10-15cm before they start budding??

I think its when plants have somewhere like 8-10 sets of true leaves they start to bud. Super chillies only grow about 45cm tall from memory. you could always nip the buds if you dont want it to flower yet.

I had some super chilli plants that were way too late for last season so I stuck them at my parents place. Outside all this time and they look like your one but with smaller leaves and a bunch of little red chillis. I thought it was the cold but they're obviously just small.

I think its when plants have somewhere like 8-10 sets of true leaves they start to bud. Super chillies only grow about 45cm tall from memory. you could always nip the buds if you dont want it to flower yet.

I had some super chilli plants that were way too late for last season so I stuck them at my parents place. Outside all this time and they look like your one but with smaller leaves and a bunch of little red chillis. I thought it was the cold but they're obviously just small.

Thanks for the feedback guys ... I realise they are small plants just don't want them that small and flowering so will pinch a few buds until they are 20-30cm high at least.

On another note it has been showery warm and overcast this morning so I decided to give the plants a nice seaweed foliar feed and no sooner had I done it and the bloody sun came out and has been out ever since ... hope they don't get any burn from the sun or spotting on their nice green leaves ...

Back