• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
All right then on a side note here are some piccies of a few Rocket Pots. They are a side experiment that Nova and I am doing.

rimg04cgc.jpg

They seem to be doing extremely well and will be interesting to see how they turn out.

And for some root action now-
rimg04ryr.jpg

What do ya think Nova? Lookin pretty good hey! The roots seem to be browning off(air pruning), will just have to wait and see.

Micca

Thats cool bro, nice to see that the roots are going straight out as they should be!
I have three chilli plants going in them and they are going nicely considering the cold weather here. No roots showing through the walls of mine yet, do you water the sides of the pots at all?

Cheers Candice.

Hey Nova I am watering from the top only. The plants are still pretty small and assume the roots have not got down very far yet. They are still inside under fluoro at the moment(no heating) so look pretty good. Just wait till they go outside, now that might change things!

Micca

Haha yes! All the medium held together hence no shock.
They come apart nicely if the soil is on the dry side i have found.

Well thought I would post some piccies of my outside garden.

Micca
I can't believe my plants have some chillies as well.
Got a sad old thai birdeye plant with one ripe chilli
The not naga and not scorpian plants I bought the beginning of this year are still podding as well. The nots are:
The yellow hab type plant that has a ripe chilli and is covered in pollinated baby green chillies; the red caribbean type plant one has two ripe red chillies.
All ripe pods are of course way smaller than normal summer size though.

Hi all, a WA comparison for you all. I planted in jiffy pods the start of june they popped around 4 weeks later and have been slow going ever since.

Fist picture was taken 23Jun11 after about 4 week of nothing. The one on the left was plated mid of April and took 8 weeks till a hook appeared.
IMG_1153.jpg

The next 2 were taken today
IMG_1208.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg

and this was a Naga i bought from a nursery it was bushy and had some sort of burning of the leaves (i dont know what, but then again i dont know much!)
naga2.jpg

and this is what it looks like now. A bit sad looking!
IMG_1209.jpg

Cheers Pauly

I repotted all my plants into new containers and rinsed all their roots in a H202 solution. I made up some new soil as used by neil hippy dude of 50% coir-peat brick and 50% coles potting mix. I used some paper coffee cups, but I'm not sure how long they will last. They have insulated bubbly sides which keep the light out and heat down in the root zone. I also used some plastic cups which I cut some huge holes in the bottoms for drainage and wrapped the outsides in foil.
newgrow003.jpg

I hope by getting rid of all the old soil I've chucked out all the larvae of the fungus gnats. I killed tons of them with sticky paper and beer. Yes I put out little cups of beer for the shites :rolleyes: its just wrong but had to do something. Can't see any but I'm sure one escaped ready to spawn again. I'll be watering with H202 to discourage fungus and therefore the gnats.

I thought I was all out but down in front you can see one of the tiny seedlings is an Asian Birdseye. That's what the tag said but it doesn't even look like a chilli. I'll wait and see what happens with it.

:welcome: from SOR
Which nursery did you buy the naga from?

Thanks :) I bought it from Herbs'r'us in the markets at Wanneroo.

Hi Pauly.

by the colouring of your plants, it looks like you may be watering them too much?????

I probably do. Im new at this. it always looks like the jiffy is dry so i give them a small squirt day and night too much? They get heat from the bottom. they sit next to a north west facing window that get good arvo sun when it shines through.

Back