• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Mine has just flowered
IMG_4630.jpg
Purdy!

I have tried several times in the past to grow 'em but they always die on me. :(

This one was my favourite (Dendrobium speciosum):

IMG_3564.jpg

But only because I risked my life climbing down a sheer cliff face to nab it - and also very nearly trod on a Stephen's Banded Snake in the process! :lol:

I got the orchid focus because its basically the same as the others except has npk by the bucket load. I already use trace minerals so it seems like more bang for my buck.
Will just dilute more!

I am waiting for 100 jiffys from ebay. I've had it with loose seed raising mixes they always cause problems.
I'm also waiting for a thermostat so I can control the temp precisely. I need to find something cheap to plug into it now. Heating mats seem too expensive to me for what they are made out of. Anyone know of a cheap heating machine. Doesn't have to be a mat.

I want to start most of my seeds for the coming season in August so then I can concentrate on growing the mature plants. I started way too late last season and it all fizzled out.

I am waiting for 100 jiffys from ebay. I've had it with loose seed raising mixes they always cause problems.
I'm also waiting for a thermostat so I can control the temp precisely. I need to find something cheap to plug into it now. Heating mats seem too expensive to me for what they are made out of. Anyone know of a cheap heating machine. Doesn't have to be a mat.

I want to start most of my seeds for the coming season in August so then I can concentrate on growing the mature plants. I started way too late last season and it all fizzled out.

Whats your budget??

Whats your budget??

I need something pretty cheap. From my scan of ebay I found a heating mat for $18.50
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280708884922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
It would fit a shelf space I have that is about 30cm deep but it's small so I could only do a few at a time.
I'd probably pay that if I could get the same sort of thing but three times the size. I'm sure there is a cheaper method. I don't have the room for anything like a tub filled with water etc.

Purdy!

I have tried several times in the past to grow 'em but they always die on me. :(

This one was my favourite (Dendrobium speciosum):

IMG_3564.jpg

But only because I risked my life climbing down a sheer cliff face to nab it - and also very nearly trod on a Stephen's Banded Snake in the process! :lol:
I only have 2. My other one is my favourite. It is bright blue and I think it has some purple. I hope that flowers soon.
That is a beautiful one as well. Hey isn't it illegal to take orchids from the wild? Don't worry I wont tell, I'd probably do the same ;)

Wow, really pretty. I have a few native Tasmanians (to put in), what species are those Candice? I know next to nothing about orchids.
Are they from seed?
Um I don't know, and I hardly know anything about them as well. I did buy a book that I'm reading though.
I have only just started growing them myself. There is a tag in it I think but I know one of them the tag is broken in half so I wouldn't be able to tell the full name. It's pretty stormy and rainy over here so when it calms down I'll go out and have a look.

My Aji Amarillo seedling is an odd looking thing, I'll take a picture and post it.
I also have a hairy pube seedling, a Manzano Amarillo. First pube :woohoo:

A budget pic of my outdoor plants basking in nice warm sunshine today

IMG_20110731_104711.jpg

Had another Super Chilli and NTR come up this morning ...loving this warm weather

Hey isn't it illegal to take orchids from the wild? Don't worry I wont tell, I'd probably do the same ;)
Shhhh.... :shh: ;)

The oddest thing about it too is that I thought it would produce white flowers! At the time I grabbed it, the orchids on the cliff weren't in flower, but I have only ever seen white orchids growing there. :crazy:

Here's a pic of the same cliff face very close to were I grabbed the orchid (not my pic but I definitely recognize the location):

3911421891_a3e9ae5820.jpg

(White spikes of flowers are the orchids)

Weird, huh?

Are they from seed?
Um I don't know, and I hardly know anything about them as well. I did buy a book that I'm reading though.
I have only just started growing them myself. There is a tag in it I think but I know one of them the tag is broken in half so I wouldn't be able to tell the full name. It's pretty stormy and rainy over here so when it calms down I'll go out and have a look.

I believe so, my dad (also a native tasweigan) is sending them my way.

I need something pretty cheap. From my scan of ebay I found a heating mat for $18.50
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280708884922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
It would fit a shelf space I have that is about 30cm deep but it's small so I could only do a few at a time.
I'd probably pay that if I could get the same sort of thing but three times the size. I'm sure there is a cheaper method. I don't have the room for anything like a tub filled with water etc.

What about the tank/heater/bubbbler method? (which is nicely demonstrated on THSC facebook somewhere).
That's what i used as I am super poor ATM also. Granted, I did have all the bits already... But it seems like a cost effective way to germ if you are putting in a lot of seeds as Aquarium heater + water is cheaper than lots of heat mats!

Shhhh.... :shh: ;)

The oddest thing about it too is that I thought it would produce white flowers! At the time I grabbed it, the orchids on the cliff weren't in flower, but I have only ever seen white orchids growing there. :crazy:

Here's a pic of the same cliff face very close to were I grabbed the orchid (not my pic but I definitely recognize the location):

3911421891_a3e9ae5820.jpg

(White spikes of flowers are the orchids)

Weird, huh?

cool
Megamoo sprouted his first pube! Hee hee hee.... :lol:
i was wondering who would be the first to respond with that answer. i thought nova but he must be out. :lol:

I believe so, my dad (also a native tasweigan) is sending them my way.
is it hard to grow from seed? what colour are the flowers?

Back