• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wild Brazil Pepper

Small upturned pods is believed to be how all chinense varieties started. So the wild brazil or cumari do para is closer to a true chinense than most other chinenses...not the other way around. The comparison with them and frutescense is a good one however and may be valid. Seems as though they both may have evolved from a common source. After reading many articles on it, I also believe the two are one and the same. The subtle differences in plants and pods folks have are more than likely due to different seed sources and the fact that almost everything we grow has just a little "mutt" in it.

Here is an interesting article on it...

http://www.wildchill...-chinense-tepin
Edit:
So then I suppose FayahBen's pic looks more like a c. chinense plant and pods than anyone else' ...

Yeah, I've read a theory that places C. frutescens as their ancestor. That might explain why the bhut jolokia has C. frutescens genes. Or maybe it crossed with its ancestor at some point. The wild Brazil could be a cross. I think the leaves are really different than C. chinese. Maybe it's a mix. I also don't think C. chinese is a wild species. Of course species can go wild. The wild Brazil is very peculiar and interesting though.

Edit: Thanks for the article! I'll read it after Easter (starting mine early). Happy Easter all!

I'm really stoked about all the awesomeness in that package Joe!!

Can't wait to start growing them out.

A good number of new to me varieties, and where there was duplication (bonnets) I had only Amazon seed for them before anyway, so I'm quite certain yours will be a lot better :).

I'm really stoked about all the awesomeness in that package Joe!!

Can't wait to start growing them out.

A good number of new to me varieties, and where there was duplication (bonnets) I had only Amazon seed for them before anyway, so I'm quite certain yours will be a lot better :).

then do your farming my farmer friend and let me know how you do enjoy i wish you could come up for a visit in september that would be so cool, my friend owns a large 70 to 80 acre farm and grows over 225 different hot peppers, heirloom tomatos and other freat veggies, he has a field day during the Bowers chile and food fest that is awesome, you pick and pay by the pound

all in all a great time for people like us!! would love to have you and your brother up for it

be blessed my friend and keep in touch pics please!!!

thanks your friend Joe

then do your farming my farmer friend and let me know how you do enjoy i wish you could come up for a visit in september that would be so cool, my friend owns a large 70 to 80 acre farm and grows over 225 different hot peppers, heirloom tomatos and other freat veggies, he has a field day during the Bowers chile and food fest that is awesome, you pick and pay by the pound

all in all a great time for people like us!! would love to have you and your brother up for it

be blessed my friend and keep in touch pics please!!!

thanks your friend Joe

You know Joe...its folks like you that make this site great! Generous and kind and always eager to lend a hand! Have a great Easter my friend!

Shane

Wow, ate my first ripe Wild Brazil pepper about 30 minutes ago. What flavor! What a nice heat! How come more people don't grow this little beauty!?!?!?!

Wow, ate my first ripe Wild Brazil pepper about 30 minutes ago. What flavor! What a nice heat! How come more people don't grow this little beauty!?!?!?!

Probably because of the pod size and it not being all that available on well known commercial seed sites until Judy listed them earlier in the year I believe. Skittles with heat !!

Here is my Wild Brazil if you see this post Joe. It looks like it will be as loaded as
my other different Wild Brazil I grew last year.

DSCN0944.jpg
DSCN0945.jpg

I think this thread and this ( http://thehotpepper.com/topic/31203-chiltepin-tiny-orange-pepper-from-miami-of-unknown-origin/ ) I had going are about the same awesome little bad boys ...

I can't wait to grow the wild one's my coworker brought me AND the wild brazil's I bought from Pepperlover and see if they turn out to be the same or not, but I'm not starting anything new from seed until next round ...

Either way, I loved that pepper too when I first had it - perhaps my favorite.

Some of what I have read suggests similar things that Chinense, Fructescense and Annuum all had a common ancestry and would be better grouped together as the Annuum L Complex.

Michaelnquyen714,
Vladen at Rainbow chile seeds has the Wild Brazil (Round 1/2 inch yellow) in stock. It is different than what Roper (oval yellow)has shown above. Beth at Peppermainia has the Cumari do para like Roper's in stock. Both recomended sellers. I like the Cumari pods myself. i have both growing and can post some pics if you like.

In the link provided by GrantMichaels there is reference to a pepper Judy at Pepperlover sells. It is Goat Pepper not Goat Weed. Very different.

Mike

I paid a visit to pepperlover.com per GrantMichaels suggestions and the order has been placed! Red & Orange habaneros and wild brazil! Can't wait! Thank you guys so much! Are there any other varietals I should look into? I love cooking with chiles, but love growing them more! There's something about chiles that i love, especially because they're vibrantly beautiful and can sting you too :)

I tasted a really tiny wild brazil. Nothing tiny about the heat though. Fruity and hot. Very good! I made
a really delicious sauce with wild brazil, little bit of onion, kalamansi, and salt.

IMG_0040.jpg

They are pale. They were more yellow, but I left them on the plant too long.
Still firm though. I'm giving these to a friend at work who wants to make some
hot sauce.

Back