• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wild Brazil Pepper

I've grown Wild Brazil (aka Cumari) peppers several times and I have to agree with you about their great flavor and good heat level. They are very easy to grow and because they are a bush type pepper they can be grown in containers with any special treatment. The only problem I've ever had with them is that they produce so many pods that I get tired of picking them before I get all the ripe pods off the plant and then I have to do it all again in a day or two. But, I have to say that it's one of my favorite peppers to grow and I'm growing it again this year. Alan
EDITED DUE TO MISTAKE
ATTN SAUGER
wild brazil is a Chinence AND THE SAME AS cumari do para
THERE IS ANOTHER IT IS CALLED CUMARI POLOX IS A SEPERATE SPECIES ALTOGETHER EVEN THOUGH THE LOOK ALIKE

thanks your friend jOE

ITS MY TOP FAVORITE!!

I KNEW YOU WOULD LIKE IT AND THAT WAS JUST THE DRIED PODS

wait till you taste them fresh

thanks your friend Joe

Hey Joe, the Cumari Do Para is a Chinense...others are Praetermissums so they may be one and the same. Several websites claim they are the same pepper...either way, I sure can't wait for them to produce. Mine are covered in flowers that are just about to open. From what I have read once they start to ripen I'll have more than I can use for the rest of the season! Do they dry well? Or have you tried it???

Edit: removed weird double post

Neil from THSC writes:

"Cumari do para, from the state of Para in Brazil. A Cumari type thats a Chinense instead of the norm Praetermissum variety.. grows up and out like the usual cumari and takes longer than the Other to get into it but also goes longer into the season. 1 cm long Yellow Pods cover the plant and an easy grower..​

whats it Like ?
How Hot is it ?

Instantly its like a flavour Explosion and seems to burst into the mouth and straight up back of the throat and sets deep and radiates forward until get an all over glow, bout an 8/10 not over the top but a fantastic burn that goes for ages..

love this Plant and looks great in a Pot, be outstanding in the ground and might put in next season and see how goes."

Unfortunatley I have never had luck with these and they are one of the tops on list and I forgot to seed this year. @STC those are some great looking plants in the large container.

In my opinion one of the (if not the) tastiest Chilli's around with a great heat level to match. They remind me of skittles ... sweet and juicy with a fruity hit ... plus a good smack of moderate (no where near bhut level but hot) heat somewhere around Choc hab level I reckon. Maybe a little milder??

Hey Joe, the Cumari Do Para is a Chinense...others are Praetermissums so they may be one and the same. Several websites claim they are the same pepper...either way, I sure can't wait for them to produce. Mine are covered in flowers that are just about to open. From what I have read once they start to ripen I'll have more than I can use for the rest of the season! Do they dry well? Or have you tried it???

Edit: removed weird double post

Neil from THSC writes:

"Cumari do para, from the state of Para in Brazil. A Cumari type thats a Chinense instead of the norm Praetermissum variety.. grows up and out like the usual cumari and takes longer than the Other to get into it but also goes longer into the season. 1 cm long Yellow Pods cover the plant and an easy grower..​

whats it Like ?
How Hot is it ?

Instantly its like a flavour Explosion and seems to burst into the mouth and straight up back of the throat and sets deep and radiates forward until get an all over glow, bout an 8/10 not over the top but a fantastic burn that goes for ages..

love this Plant and looks great in a Pot, be outstanding in the ground and might put in next season and see how goes."
know something i just thought of it i was at work last night when in answered that post,i was exhausted, they are the same BIG DUH!! for me

i got ist mixed up with Cumari Polox which is C. PREATERMISSUM, THEY LOOK INDENTICAL TO ONE ANOTHER!!

yes it is as it says it is, but it is also fruity in flavor some say almost like fruit loops i think its almost like a touch of lemon

i still love them very much and because of just how different they are from other hotties makes me love them even more

they are a very beautiful plant and they are prolific beyond beleif!! i grow it every year without fail!!

thanks your friend Joe

I'm growing the Wild Brazil from you Joe and the Cumari do Para from PRF, the plants are different. The Wild Brazil from you looks like a typical C. chinense, the Cumari do Para grows a little lankier, has different shaped leaves and starts to branch out quickly without being topped off.

I'm growing the Wild Brazil from you Joe and the Cumari do Para from PRF, the plants are different. The Wild Brazil from you looks like a typical C. chinense, the Cumari do Para grows a little lankier, has different shaped leaves and starts to branch out quickly without being topped off.

i kind thought they where different wasnt compleatly sure

thanks your friend Joe

Is the wild brazil pepper you're talking about the same as the cumari available at Peppermania ?
http://www.peppermania.com/chinense_21.html

I've grown it last year, it was shaped like a low bushy chinense, and the pods are flavorful for a small pod like this, great taste, very prolific too.

cumari1.jpg

cumari2.jpg

Is the wild brazil pepper you're talking about the same as the cumari available at Peppermania ?
http://www.pepperman...hinense_21.html

I've grown it last year, it was shaped like a low bushy chinense, and the pods are flavorful for a small pod like this, great taste, very prolific too.

cumari1.jpg

cumari2.jpg

apparently they are sinilar but not the same

i think the flavor is the same however

i myself have only ever grown the wild brazil

im very satisfied with it and as i tell everyone it is my top o the list favorite

there is no flavor like it in any other pepper you will every eat and i have had many many

thanks your friend Joe

I have a wild B goin' right now. What is the days to maturity? If it tastes like everyone is saying...I might be in love. Its growing slow but it'll come along.

The flowers are white, i don't remember if they have some distinct traits.
They are quite fast to mature for a chinense. Well, it's something i've seen with the small fruited chinense (the peruvian white hab too), they have the shorter time from flower to ripe fruit from the chinense i grow.

I agree, my white habanero's are starting to bud at 10~12in tall and 53 days from seed. Ive been pinching them back.

Joe - just got your envelope in the mail today! I'm about to try a wild Brazil :D

I'll post back in a few minutes what I thought of it.

Bearing in mind my pod was dried. I didn't get much fruit loop flavor, but I did detect a lemony note. In flavor its close to that of a cayenne, but a little different. I saved the seeds, and would say the heat is on par with my thai chilis. The heat seemed to affect the right hand side of my tongue more than anywhere else.

The heat built for a minute or so. but not to unbearable levels. It has a faint aftertaste of something pleasantly familiar that I can't quite place.

Over all I liked it! Can't wait to grow some, and try fresh pods :).

Just licked my lips, and while inside my mouth is no longer burning, where I licked my lip is starting a new.

Joe - just got your envelope in the mail today! I'm about to try a wild Brazil :D

I'll post back in a few minutes what I thought of it.

Bearing in mind my pod was dried. I didn't get much fruit loop flavor, but I did detect a lemony note. In flavor its close to that of a cayenne, but a little different. I saved the seeds, and would say the heat is on par with my thai chilis. The heat seemed to affect the right hand side of my tongue more than anywhere else.

The heat built for a minute or so. but not to unbearable levels. It has a faint aftertaste of something pleasantly familiar that I can't quite place.

Over all I liked it! Can't wait to grow some, and try fresh pods :).

Just licked my lips, and while inside my mouth is no longer burning, where I licked my lip is starting a new.
GOOD IM GLAD YOU LIKE THEM

wait till you taste fresh pods they will knock your socks off!! it is true that thay lose some of there character when dried or pickle

what did you think of all the other goodies you got??????? let me know thanks your friend Joe

Maybe there has been some cross at a time with some other species, like ghost peppers which have some frutescens genes (i suspect that thai peppers got some frutescens genes too because they don't really grow like annums, more like frutescens and the high number of small pods reminds me this, just my guess).
But i don't really agree with you on this point, look at the pic (i'll take better pics this year with flowers), the 3 pots behind it are from left to right peruvian white hab, orange hab and belize sweet, do you really find the leaves to be different than for example the peruvian white hab leaves ?
For the fruit, sure they grow erect which is not really a chinense trait, but look at the sepals, they look more like chinense to me than annum or baccatum for example, but it could be another species trait anyway.
I'm not saying it's a chinense for sure (close pics of flowers may help), but for me it looks like a chinense in its growth habit.

Edit: the best i can do for now (this season plant is a little small for now, part of the few that gave me some problems to germinate) is a full sized part of the previous pic, we can see some flowers but in poor quality and not really close...

cumari3.jpg

That rules out C. praetermissum. However, FayahBen pic looks nothing like C. chinese leaves or pods.
Small upturned pods is believed to be how all chinense varieties started. So the wild brazil or cumari do para is closer to a true chinense than most other chinenses...not the other way around. The comparison with them and frutescense is a good one however and may be valid. Seems as though they both may have evolved from a common source. After reading many articles on it, I also believe the two are one and the same. The subtle differences in plants and pods folks have are more than likely due to different seed sources and the fact that almost everything we grow has just a little "mutt" in it.

Here is an interesting article on it...

http://www.wildchill...-chinense-tepin
Edit:
So then I suppose FayahBen's pic looks more like a c. chinense plant and pods than anyone else' ...

Back