• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

slater1980 2012 Glog

:welcome: :welcome:
hi everyone this is my attempted at growing chillis for the first time
first off I bought a vitopod
Photo10-01-2012115714.jpg

then I built my grow lights ready for when the seeds sprout
I used a clothes hanging rail to hang the reflector which I found at home bargains for 6.99 and it can extend to about 2 metres high

Photo20-01-2012155638.jpg

ive got build a box around it with some emergence blankets for reflectivity as there will be no weight to the box it can be made light weight
Photo20-01-2012152731.jpg

and a little close up of the bulb at work
Photo20-01-2012152710-1.jpg

the bulb is 125w 8000 lumens & 6400k
http://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_4737wt_951

this is what I planted yesterday

Capsicum Chinense

Douglah (0/4)
Dorset Naga (0/4)
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (0/2)
Bhut Jolokia Red (0/2)
Bhut jolokia yellow (0/4)
Fatalii (0/1)
Trinidad Scorpion (didnt plant any got seeds from ebay not sure about them)
Trinidad scorpion yellow (0/4)
Trinidad scropion butch t (0/4)
Congo Trinidad (0/4)
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Red (0/4)
habanero red (2/4)
habanero orange (0/1)
habanero chocolate (0/4)
habanero zavory (0/4)
habanero white (0/1)
scotch bonnet red (0/1)
7 pot brain strain (0/4)
7 pot brain strain yellow (1/4)
7 pot barrackpore (0/4)
bubblegum 7 (0/4)
Paper lantern (0/1)
Cgn 21500 (0/1)

Capsicum Annum

Phiringi Jolokia (0/1)
krishna Jolokia (0/1)
De Arbol (0/1)
Explosive Ember (0/1)
Cayenne (0/4)
Pusa Jwala (0/4)
Hot banana (0/4)

Capsicum Frutescens

Mem Jolokia (0/1)
Aji Chuncho (0/1)
Siling Labuyo (0/2)
Zimbabwe bird (0/1)

Capsicum Praetermissum

P1 1441654 (0/1)

Capsicum Chacoense

Most Prolific (0/2)

Capsicum Pubescens

red rocoto (0/1)
I missed judged how many i was planting so i had to place 2/4 seeds per pot but not that many so i hope they grow ok?
i also had to place 6 pots on top of my fish tank in a unheated propagator as i run out of space
sf-cry.gif

this is how I went around starting off
I soaked the seeds for four hours
Photo21-01-2012124153.jpg

as they where soaking I mixed my starting mix which i by mixing four parts compost, one part perlite & one part vermiculite,here is a pic of the compost
Photo21-01-2012155857.jpg

and a pic of it all mixed together

Photo21-01-2012155820.jpg

and another pic of the pots waiting for there seeds
Photo21-01-2012164527.jpg

and finally all in there new home which i set to 29c and the light is only on so i could take a better pic
Photo21-01-2012202334.jpg

http://i1085.photobu...-2012202357.jpg

ill be updating as things happen & thats if any thing does happen :whistle:

The way that privacy fix is built is interesting. I've never seen one built like that.

Do you mean Slater`s fence? standard English fence called a Palisade fence with the uprights called Paling, strong as hell & lasts for donkeys with the right care (as he has done) here`s a pic of the Paling (angled) and its nailed on overlapping one another like shingles on the roof or weatherboard on a house (but sideways) you buy it all cut ready to go just nail it together.

fence09.gif

Mezo.

Do you live i Coffee Hall? Netherfield prehaps? im trying to remember what estate has them windows in the background. I used to work in that area for many years (fenny/bletchley) before moving down under.

Plants are looking real healthy by the way, should get a crop by Aug/Sep just before it turns cold again.

Mezo.

Hi mezo I live in Bletchley and the I live on the lakes estate,I think the houses are similar to coffee hall.

The plants are doing great and I can't wait to get some chillis off them.

Bet down under is a lot sunnier then mk :)

Do you mean Slater`s fence? standard English fence called a Palisade fence with the uprights called Paling, strong as hell & lasts for donkeys with the right care (as he has done) here`s a pic of the Paling (angled) and its nailed on overlapping one another like shingles on the roof or weatherboard on a house (but sideways) you buy it all cut ready to go just nail it together.

fence09.gif

Mezo.

Spent ages last summer painting that fence and I plan on doing the other side this year.

And your right mezo it is strong as hell :)

Your not related to the Sherrington Slaters by chance? was in the same class as a Gary Slater & im originally from Paggers myself, but worked in the car yards up in fenny & in a factory down 1st Ave.

Be interesting to see how them chilli`s grow in that soil, would imagine there`s a fair bit of clay in there or have you dug it over well?

Mezo.

Hi mezo I'm not from miltons Keynes originally I moved here about 14 yrs ago from Carlisle.

Im not planting any plants in the soil in my garden just in pots.

I've got a allotment were I will be planting a few of my plants just to test it and see how the plants do as the solid is a lot lighter I think they will do ok.

I've got a allotment were I will be planting a few of my plants just to test it and see how the plants do as the solid is a lot lighter I think they will do ok.

I was going to suggest that actually, there are some real good allotments around, would the plants be safe there? is it locked up?

Mezo.

The allotments in a quiet area and it's all fenced off so they should be ok.
I'm only really going to plant a few cayennes and habaneros to test out how they will do and keep the best plants in my back garden in a couple of culti-caves I've bought.
The soil down the light allotment is a lot lighter then in my garden so I expect the plants to do well :)

moved about half my plants into the culticaves today put i bring them back in at night,moving them in and out every day is hard work but I dont want to be caught out by frost

Photo22-04-2012133634.jpg

Photo22-04-2012133641.jpg

and the culticaves joined together,got 2 more on order for the rest of my plants

Photo22-04-2012133703.jpg

Looking good slates, i think your past the frost risk now surely? almost June.

Just gotta be careful you don't knock any flowers off when your moving them.

Mezo.

A little update
i order two more culticaves a week or so ago they have since turned up and ive added one of them to the other two I already have,i will add the other when I need the space.
the plants have been spending alot of time out side and also they have had a few nights outside to
the weather has been ok apart from the last few nights which have produced frosts so ive had to bring all the plants in at night and put them outside again in the morning.

af9d893c.jpg

0f4b346f.jpg

the three culticaves
3ddf57d7.jpg

I've also purchased two 18 gallon smithy pots to test out and also one 10 gallon smart pot for now,I will be potting my best plants into these when weather makes its mind up what it's doing.

You have extended your greenhouse right? those things are great what brand are they Slater?

Ive got a couple of Aussie mates touring the UK right now, they wrote "its been pissing down non stop since they got there" And yet there will still be a hosepipe ban on? plain & simple there's not enough water for the amount of people in the UK.

Plants are looking nice & healthy.

Mezo.

Hi mezo
I have indeed extend the greenhouse only by one section but I've another to add when need.
They are called culticaves which I got from eBay but they have a website "tidytent.com".
It's not stopped raining for weeks just after the annonced the hose pipe ban.
The plants are doing great thanks

Time for a little update as its been nearly four weeks,as always I don't really have much to say but I just like sharing my pictures.

Hot banana

80c0b09d.jpg

This is the red Rocoto,it's hard to get the scale of the plant in the picture

393a096c.jpg

Here are a couple of the Pusa jwala

7775207a.jpg

Nearly all my plants,it's forecast to rain for the next week or so :(

bb422ce7.jpg

The medina

e7e19cfd.jpg

Krishna jolokia which is getting really tall

4d68e8e3.jpg

Red habanero

32c3b110.jpg

TSMB

a318651a.jpg

And another TSMB

5a099687.jpg

Red brain strain

0e2b9ffd.jpg

Congo trinidad

ca2d0357.jpg

Thanks habanero head,we have had some really great weather for the last couple of weeks in the uk,but the true uk weather is back "rain and low temps" :(

Yeah, I have heard about the UK weather (my previous boss was English), but to be honest, sometimes, during summertime I am kind of envy...especially when we have 35 Celsius...in shade... :hot:
Based on experience the Chinenses (at least the Red Habanero) like the mild weather better than the hot weather. My Habs were dropping flowers like crazy in last July, and when we had 4-5 days of rain and 20-24 celsius, they were setting pods.
So don't worry, you will be doing ok. :surprised:

I always thought they would like the hotter weather,but with no experience of growing hot peppers in a hotter climate I can't really compare the two extremes,it's about 18c now and raining,last week it was about 26c which was pretty good,I could see a few plants where struggling with that heat,I think it was the aji lemons?

Would you leave your plants out in the rain ?i ask because I thought they would hate to much water?

They can use to the heat, but it takes time. I am still experiencing with the different growing strategies. Most of the plants are in the ground, outside, so cannot be protected from the rain. Some yellowing appears, but nothing to worry about. I kept some 'sample' plants from each varieties in pots (in case a hailstorm destroys my ground-peppers), and they are like half-outside, because there is a roof above them... So really do not know what to advise... :confused: This is why here are the others on the forum, who have more experience :-) But for sure, Chinenses don't like the much water.

Back