• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Douglah

Omri said:
This is what I know. could be wrong, though.
The Douglah is a brown 7-Pot. one of several distinctive varieties. in order to achieve the brown color, a 7-Pot was crossed with a brown C. chinense. most likely it was a Congo. there are several different brown 7-Pots, just like there several different red 7-Pots. Douglahs are brown 7-Pots, but not all brown 7-Pots are Douglahs. so no, they're not the same. I also consider the Douglah to be a 7-Pot because it shows consistent qualities that most belong to the 7-Pot. yes, it was crossed. most if not all chiles in Trinidad were crossed at one point. the name Douglah refers directly to the brown color and is part of the local slang. it can't be used to describe a red chile. this will be misleading or just wrong. a red Douglah is a a 7-Pot. obviously a unique strain/variety, but a 7-Pot.

My two cents.

I think it resembles a Congo pepper. It sounds right that it was a 7 pot crossed with a brown Congo. 

Dulac said:

I think it resembles a Congo pepper. It sounds right that it was a 7 pot crossed with a brown Congo. 

I agree 100% with this.

I am also of the gut feel that it is a cross.  The Douglah and the Brown 7 Pot have an initial flavour of granadilla - very fleeting and then it is replaced by a slight fruitiness and then a very bitter overpowering taste of capsaicin.  The only other chili I know of with a granadilla flavour is the brown congo/jamaican chocolate hab (same same not much different except size).  The fruitiness is from the 7 Pot.

I think many of the chili from SR were experimental - not all though.  She collected many in an experimental trial plot planted by CARDI to evaluate new cultivars.  Think CARDI Yellow Scorpion, 7 Pot Congo SR Gigantic, 7 Pot Burgundy.  The Douglah on the other hand is a landrace selection from Trinidad.  If they were red they would've been chucked into the basket with Red 7 Pots and sold as such.  I think it is an accidental/natural cross that was perpetuated because it was different.

Back