• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Red Douglah

alright if we call it Red Douglah and explian its mutant. in the description will not be alright...
Red and douglah are both different colors. In my opinion it just sounds weird without the mutant label in the name to explain it. That is if it is really a mutant and not somehow an unintentional cross. It'll be interesting to see how they grow next year

Crud. Just when you think you got things figured out.....

OMRI says Douglah is a 7 Pot. POTAWIE says it's half 7 Pot. POTAWIE do you know what it was crossed with? OMRI said Trinnihottie said Douglah is a brown 7 Pot and I believe she should know. So how are we able to buy seeds for Brown 7 Pots and Douglahs? Is it a seller ruse?

This year I figured Douglah and Brown 7 Pot were pretty much the same pepper. If that's true then a Red Douglah is like OMRI said a 7 Pot. A regular 7 Pot. Or can I even say "regular" when it comes to describing 7 Pot anymore?

I grew a plant this year, seeds were labeled brown 7 Pot and they came from you Judy, that produced red pods. The other plant from those seeds grew brown peppers. No offense to you Judy I know just how hard it is to keep every seed where it's supposed to be. Just a cool coincidence.

Doing too much thinking.

This is what I know. could be wrong, though.
The Douglah is a brown 7-Pot. one of several distinctive varieties. in order to achieve the brown color, a 7-Pot was crossed with a brown C. chinense. most likely it was a Congo. there are several different brown 7-Pots, just like there several different red 7-Pots. Douglahs are brown 7-Pots, but not all brown 7-Pots are Douglahs. so no, they're not the same. I also consider the Douglah to be a 7-Pot because it shows consistent qualities that most belong to the 7-Pot. yes, it was crossed. most if not all chiles in Trinidad were crossed at one point. the name Douglah refers directly to the brown color and is part of the local slang. it can't be used to describe a red chile. this will be misleading or just wrong. a red Douglah is a a 7-Pot. obviously a unique strain/variety, but a 7-Pot.

My two cents.

The Douglah and Brown 7 are supposedly different, basically two independent crosses that achieved a similar result. I wouldn't quite call this new one just a 7 pot either. Whatever the original cross that turned it Douglah was also seemed to give it a distinctive shape. This 'Red Douglah' pod or whatever is a red 7 with a douglah shape, so you might just call it Red 7 Pot (Douglah shape) or something of the like. I do wonder if it's a mutation from the Douglah still being slightly unstable or a cross though.

I think the biggest problem is that as humans we like to categorize things. It's just how we learn. Genetics are incredibly difficult to categorize, and this is certainly a completely new set of genetics if you get a Douglah to consistently turn red. I wouldn't lump it back in with the regular 7s.

Well, I have a 1 of 4 PepperLover seed stock Douglahs that has grown red fruit. I was going to pull the plant, after our first freeze which is probably a month away or the beginnging of next year. But this is so exciting that this sport may just be kept to experiment with.

Crossing a 7 pod and one brown C. chinense can give you infinite number of new variations, not just one. You can call them 7 pods if you like but if they are crosses they are really only half 7 pods scientifically and IMO they need new names instead of only using the name of the more popular more trendy pepper, although in the case of the Douglah we really don't know the other parent.
Its starting to sound to me now like this "red douglah" is an unintentional cross instead of a mutant which would make it even less than 50% 7 pod. Maybe a 3 pod :)

Has it actually been documented that the douglah is in fact a cross and not a "mostly" stable variant? I hesitate to say mutation because often times genetics doesn't follow Mendelian principles and could be just that a certain gene expression has been turned "on" or "off" resulting in different phenotypes even if the genes/alleles(genotypes) are mostly the same from one pepper to the other (its a little more complicated than that). I think "mutation" is thrown around too much around here. Just my opinion though.

I believe Sara originally called the douglah a 7 pod cross, not a mutant. It is however stable, at least the ones I grow

Hi Judy,

My Douglah, seeds acquired from Grant at Jungle Rain, have started producing red pods. 

2cwr61j.jpg

6h7vyq.jpg

nycodx.jpg

Still have several seeds left over, I'll try and germinate those this season and see what results next year.
Not complaining, totally stoked to get some super hots growing and producing in my part of the world. :dance:   Just thought I'd contribute.   :)  

Man am I jealous.  As a first year, first time grower, I do hope I can at least get one pod to look anything like that.  Great job.

Some pics (apologies for quality, taken with phone camera)

16iek9f.jpg
 Full size image http://oi59.tinypic.com/359mzae.jpg

s2a9vn.jpg
 Full size image http://oi62.tinypic.com/2vt79di.jpg

obchili said:
Man am I jealous.  As a first year, first time grower, I do hope I can at least get one pod to look anything like that.  Great job.
Thanks obchilli  :)

We've had a very warm summer in my part of the world, broke the 102 year record for days over 40ºC. 

Best of luck with your grow! 

This happened with my Douglah plants a few years back, but it was on the same plants there were both brown and red pods.. I also grew OP so I had figured that was the reason... Either way your pods look healthy n yummy :)

Nicole

Back