• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PJ's 2012 Glog with a Kaleidoscope of Colored Peppers

This is my second season growing superhots. I decided to branch out and grow some tasty peppers that others will enjoy. I've been collecting and buying seeds busily!

So i decided to start my seeds early-mid january since last frost date last year was in early april. Here is my list. Some i bought, some i got for free from the amazing THP members! Thanks again all,

seedlist2012.jpg

I'll be germinating my seeds in cups. I had great success last year using this method. Once they sprout, i'll move them to my 72 plug seed tray. I'm using gardener's supply germinating mix. It has very fine peat, vermiculite, and trace minerals and is pH balanced. Once they get their true leaves, i'll move them to 3.5x5 inch pots (P86D) and 1 pint root pouches (just to experiment). After that they will go into their 5, 7, 10 gallon root pouches and plastic nursery pots.

I started the kashmiri seeds 1 weeks ago to see if the dried pods' seeds i got from UK were viable. They were! So these were the first to go into the 72 plug tray.

I have some plants in the garage under flourscents that are overwintering since november. They are brain strain, red bhut jolokia and chocolate bhut, red and yellow 7pods, fatalli, and a bhut-habanero hybrid. Also some annums like serrano and kung pao just to see if it works
icon_mrgreen.gif

I dedicated one room in the house as my "plant room". Pretty bare bone, its a 48 inch wide, 7 foot tall steel rack. 2 of the shelves each have 4 T12 GE aquarium and plant flourscent bulbs. I have a heat mat where they cups are sitting on to help in the germination.

The Plant Room
P1020660.jpg

The Seeds in their cups
P1020667.jpg

The Kashmiri Mirch in their 72 plug tray, i'm using little cups as a "dome" to keep humidity in. Using foil to cover the other plugs so water doesn't just evaporate away making the germinating mix really dry and also keeps it from growing algae.
P1020666.jpg

Lets see how it goes! Wish me luck!

Just an update, everything has sprouted on the 72 plug. Here are some pics:
P1020686.jpg

Really cool purple variegated leaves on purple bhuts.
P1020687.jpg

Here they are basking in the lights.
P1020689.jpg

Went to home depot and got 2 more T12 fixtures. I will have 3 fixtures each on the 2 shelves. They were only $10 bux each :) I got some GE F40 T12 bulbs 6500k @ 3050 lumens from lowes for $7 for a 2-pack. It looked like my GE plant and aquarium bulbs did not have enough lumens to keep my seelings happy. So i decided to mix it up with alternating GE 6500k bulb and GE plant and aquarium bulbs. Things look much brighter now :D

I also moved some of my larger seedlings from the 72 plug tray to 3.5 wide x 5 height inch square pots. Those were a pain to remove the seedlings, but they look much happier in their new home. I am using the Pro Mix BX, and bottom watering with liquid karma and botanicare grow at 5ml/gallon.

Here are some pics:

The seedlings with their new lighting, and yeah that's tape on the pots to help ID the pepper plant :D Seems easier to track them this way.
P1020695.jpg

The larger seedlings in their square pots basking in the new lighting :D
P1020696.jpg

Man, you'll be the last of the Mohicans with those T12s. I have one T12 in my mix--it puts off more heat than T8, at least up top. That can be a good thing in my 'cool' grow room. Looks like you can get the lamps right down on the deck, so no issue with heat on the seedlings?

Also, where did you get the 3.5 x 5 tall square pots and holding trays? Can they hold 18 per tray? Nice intermediate size there, I like the extra depth.

With three banks of lights, how many trays can you now fit per shelf if you need to max it out? The wife-unit says that same shelf is available at CostCo.... :cool:

Man, you'll be the last of the Mohicans with those T12s. I have one T12 in my mix--it puts off more heat than T8, at least up top. That can be a good thing in my 'cool' grow room. Looks like you can get the lamps right down on the deck, so no issue with heat on the seedlings?

Also, where did you get the 3.5 x 5 tall square pots and holding trays? Can they hold 18 per tray? Nice intermediate size there, I like the extra depth.

With three banks of lights, how many trays can you now fit per shelf if you need to max it out? The wife-unit says that same shelf is available at CostCo.... :cool:

lol, yea, the fixtures and bulbs are cheap for T12s. A T5 fixture was 3 to 4 times more costly. Heat does not seem to be an issue. My plants leave's some time touch the florescent bulb with no problems.

I got the 3.5x5 tall square pots and holding trays from growers solution. Very friendly group. Yes, they hold 18 per tray easy. I got the extra depth in case i need to keep them indoors longer.

If i place the trays length wise (22 inch side), 2 per rack with some space for single pots. If i place the trays width wise (11 inch side), probably 4 per rack, but a row will be sticking out of range of the lights, so i may just keep a row empty in each tray (that is sticking out) which is not too bad.

...I got the 3.5x5 tall square pots and holding trays from growers solution. Very friendly group. Yes, they hold 18 per tray easy. I got the extra depth in case i need to keep them indoors longer...

Thanks for the info, PJ. I need some of those 3.5 x 5 in my 'plastic arsenal.' That size would be good for some of my later start C. annuums so I might not need to go to gallon. I have some party cups in that range, but they are tippy as heck and wouldn't hold near the volume. Also, the round tray holders I have only hold 15 per tray.

Just some updates, the seedlings in the 72 plug tray are doing well. I'll probably pot them up into the 3.5 inch pots this weekend.

P1020701.jpg

A close up, the cheiro roxa and purple bhuts look really cool with purple leaves. The really curly leaf seedling on the bottom left is a bahamian goat pepper. Maybe it got too many nutes? The rest of other seedlings got the same. strange. Lets see how that one goes.
P1020703.jpg

The 17 potted up plants in the 3.5 pots. They are growing fast
P1020704.jpg

I keep having to raise the lights a inch or more every couple of days.
P1020705.jpg

Very impressive PJ! That's a heck of a start.

Thanks,

After almost 6 weeks, the tovarii and c. galaponese have not germinated. A tovarii germinated at 3 weeks, but died. Time for drastic measures: scarification! Went to michael's and bought a exacto knife and did some scarification (or mutilation more like it :banghead:). So lets see how that goes.

I'll be adding some new seeds today: my dad's baguio "maybe siling labuya" pepper, and the following 3 serrano types from Indiana_Jesse (thanks again!)
  1. Serrano Huasteco,
  2. Serrano Tampiqueno
  3. Serrano Hidalgo
My wife loves serranos, so we'll see what is her favorite.

On another miraculous news, i mean AMAZING news. I have 8 galapagoense seeds which have been germinating for 6 weeks with nothing in sight. 5 were kind of black/fungus looking and 3 looked fine. Anyways, after the scarification attempt, the next day i found this!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

P1020706.jpg

WOHOO, 6 galapagoense seeds have germinated! I can't believe that worked! :cool:

Tovarii ... still nothing

So today morning, i potted up most of my seedlings to the 3.5x5 containers. I have a few left (galapoense, 7pod primo, piment de espelete) to pot up. Took about 2 hours to do, phew! Watered with botanicare liquid karma and pro grow at half strength for seedlings. I would rather under nute that over :D Here are some pics:

Various C. Chinese waiting to be potted up
P1020711.jpg

Stems shot, i use a fan 3 times a day for 30 min each time to make the stems stronger.
P1020712.jpg

The other side of the 72 plug tray, purples are purple bhuts
P1020713.jpg

Pots ready to be filled with seedlings :D
P1020715.jpg

Good root ball, could be more i guess
P1020716.jpg

And here they are all in the new homes
P1020721.jpg

How old are your overwintered plants?

And hotjohn9, the overwinters are from 2011 season

Looks great PJ! Very impressive indeed. Congratulations on the wilds! I've got a bunch potted up and some later arrivals still germinating. I managed to reduce my varieties but I still am germinating too many. It is hard to say no more sometimes. Hopefully today I can update some pics in my log and list my other varieties.

Later and Good luck, Mike

lol, yea, the fixtures and bulbs are cheap for T12s. A T5 fixture was 3 to 4 times more costly. Heat does not seem to be an issue. My plants leave's some time touch the florescent bulb with no problems.

I'm glad this was brought up. I think I can lower my F40's a notch after reading this, PJ. I'm diggin' your set up - seeing the rack you were using reminded me I have two smaller versions of the same thing and I'm appropriating the smaller one to make a small germinating/growing chamber :doh: next time around! I'll be very interested in your overwintering ideas as I follow this log. thanks!

Looks great PJ! Very impressive indeed. Congratulations on the wilds! I've got a bunch potted up and some later arrivals still germinating. I managed to reduce my varieties but I still am germinating too many. It is hard to say no more sometimes. Hopefully today I can update some pics in my log and list my other varieties.

Later and Good luck, Mike

Thanks Mike, i know how you feel. Wife was not too happy with serrano del sol being short on heat, so i am trying 3 more varieties, plus my dad gave me a pepper from phillipines. Can't pass that up! :)

Good luck to you too!

I'm glad this was brought up. I think I can lower my F40's a notch after reading this, PJ. I'm diggin' your set up - seeing the rack you were using reminded me I have two smaller versions of the same thing and I'm appropriating the smaller one to make a small germinating/growing chamber :doh: next time around! I'll be very interested in your overwintering ideas as I follow this log. thanks!

no problem, the T12's do their job, but keep an eye on temps. my grow room gets warm. kinda feels like a green house :)

Looking great PJ! What did you pot up into?

Thanks! Potted up to 3.5 inch x 5 inch pots.

Dang, that all looks so good. I see you went to the 4-trays wide on the shelf and allowed a little room for the light gap. I'll be doin' the same at the next stage.

Those plugs came out very solid. Any tips (moisture level, tools, swearing, etc) to recommend? Looks like you used a cell to act as a mold for the incoming plugs. Nice. I'm also using ProMix BX for the pot-up.

Thanks for the tip on the fan starting to do it today with the young one hopefully their stems grow as thick as that by that stage I am using a computer fan that jerryrig to a 12 volt adaptor. Your plants look great as usual.

Back