• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PJ's 2012 Glog with a Kaleidoscope of Colored Peppers

This is my second season growing superhots. I decided to branch out and grow some tasty peppers that others will enjoy. I've been collecting and buying seeds busily!

So i decided to start my seeds early-mid january since last frost date last year was in early april. Here is my list. Some i bought, some i got for free from the amazing THP members! Thanks again all,

seedlist2012.jpg

I'll be germinating my seeds in cups. I had great success last year using this method. Once they sprout, i'll move them to my 72 plug seed tray. I'm using gardener's supply germinating mix. It has very fine peat, vermiculite, and trace minerals and is pH balanced. Once they get their true leaves, i'll move them to 3.5x5 inch pots (P86D) and 1 pint root pouches (just to experiment). After that they will go into their 5, 7, 10 gallon root pouches and plastic nursery pots.

I started the kashmiri seeds 1 weeks ago to see if the dried pods' seeds i got from UK were viable. They were! So these were the first to go into the 72 plug tray.

I have some plants in the garage under flourscents that are overwintering since november. They are brain strain, red bhut jolokia and chocolate bhut, red and yellow 7pods, fatalli, and a bhut-habanero hybrid. Also some annums like serrano and kung pao just to see if it works
icon_mrgreen.gif

I dedicated one room in the house as my "plant room". Pretty bare bone, its a 48 inch wide, 7 foot tall steel rack. 2 of the shelves each have 4 T12 GE aquarium and plant flourscent bulbs. I have a heat mat where they cups are sitting on to help in the germination.

The Plant Room
P1020660.jpg

The Seeds in their cups
P1020667.jpg

The Kashmiri Mirch in their 72 plug tray, i'm using little cups as a "dome" to keep humidity in. Using foil to cover the other plugs so water doesn't just evaporate away making the germinating mix really dry and also keeps it from growing algae.
P1020666.jpg

Lets see how it goes! Wish me luck!

Is the Texas sun starting to bother your plants? Put mine under a shade cloth, just getting to hot for the containers down here.

Okay, Chiero Roxa is definitely being added to next year's growlist. Haven't seen seeds for that one for sale anywhere though. Where did you find those?

Those look SCARY! Beautiful pods PJ! Great job on the grow and the pics...
Very beautiful. I like the Bhut...
Great lookin harvest PJ! Those Yellow Brains are MONSTERS!
nice and crazy looking pods...they all monsters :onfire:
those yellow brains are huge! amazing!
Haha, thanks all! First pods seem to big pretty big, but once more pods come out, they tend to be smaller. What is interesting the 7 and 10 gallon fabric root pouches are producing the biggest pods.

Is the Texas sun starting to bother your plants? Put mine under a shade cloth, just getting to hot for the containers down here.

Yea they are a little, once i changed the watering schedule, they are doing better. I might do a shade cloth if it gets really bad.

Okay, Chiero Roxa is definitely being added to next year's growlist. Haven't seen seeds for that one for sale anywhere though. Where did you find those?

I got these seeds during an seed auction. I can send some to you as a trade. PM me.

So i got my add-it fertigation unit. It can do 20 minutes of fertigation for my 100 1-GPH drip emmiters at 1:200 ratio. Used a 5-1-1 fish emulsion diluted in water 1:1. Its pretty good so far.

P1030074.jpg

Also harvested some new ripe pods, yellow scorpions and butch t's, and a cool looking scotch bonnet papa joes.

Yellow scorps could be hybrid, they are more elongated
P1030079.jpg

Cappy brainstrain on the left, cmpman1974 brain strain on the right. Pretty distinct shape differences but still bumpy.
P1030080.jpg

Brain strain yellows, the one all the way to the right look smoother and has no shape, thats prob how hybrids get shared i think
P1030081.jpg

Butch t's
P1030082.jpg

Scotch bonnet papa joe with cool tail
P1030084.jpg

Today's harvest
P1030088.jpg

Damn PJ! You got it going on! I may have to invest in that fertigation unit! Looks like just the ticket! What are the Chocolate pods on the left?

Damn PJ! You got it going on! I may have to invest in that fertigation unit! Looks like just the ticket! What are the Chocolate pods on the left?

Thanks, those are chocolate scorpions.

Amazing harvest and setup for the fertilization PJ do you have a time set up with the system.

Yup i have a timer on my faucet that i got from home depot. I can program it to happen every other day for 30 mins.

Been using the dehydrator alot. Made a Yellow hot sauce made of yellow brain strain, yellow fatalli, yellow bhut and yellow t scorp. made with mangos/peach/pineapple. real tasty. Some pics of a harvest few days back:

P1030109.jpg

Some new peppers, 7pod burgundy, have not tried it yet
P1030108.jpg

Galapogoense finally ripining
P1030113.jpg

overall shot of the garden
P1030114.jpg

varying color stages of purple bhut
P1030115.jpg

indian jawala
P1030119.jpg

Bagiou pepper
P1030129.jpg

Cheiro Roxa - originally dark purple, when the pods ripen, they are pink/peach colored
P1030131.jpg

P1030132.jpg

Datil
P1030137.jpg

Nice PJ... When you first potted up did you use the espoma granular fert? How do you adjust Ph with that? Looks like an option for next year.

And the harvest jealousy begins! PJ, those things look great and that is a great harvest for ya! It is only going to get bigger and bigger from here!

Everything looks amazing, congratulations. The Cardi yellow is interesting, did you grow just one plant? Funny how the brainstrains look like the pics your sources have posted previously, the seed from Chris looks just like his pics and the same with the Cappy brainstrain, I guess they're pretty much stabilized then. The Butch T's look very nice, larger than what I thought they were supposed to look like, I've never grown them, the closest I'll probably grow is the Douglah x Butch T cross.

I have to say, my favorite of the bunch is the Cheiro Roxa, love that particular color transition.

Back