vendor Ordering Pepper Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonbob said:
Has anyone ever ordered anything from this bloke? He seems to have a lot of unusual varieties and I was thinking of getting a few from him. (only the ones I couldn't get from Neil at THSC, who remains the absolute best of anyone I've ever bought anything from over the internet)
http://www.thechilliman.biz/index.htm

I have, both seeds and a few plants after I lost some to the dog.

Excellent customer service and excellent germination rates (and a very extensive range).

Re: Ordering seeds

I have good luck with Redwood City Seeds, however, the Tepins need special care to germinate. I havent been able to get any of them to sprout. Also Redwood City seeds now has Bhut's. Another way to go is to order live plants. I have ordered from Cross Country Nursery before in New Jersey, but the plants died within 10 days after receiving them. They weren't very helpful when I emailed them for help.
The biggest problem I have is after the seeds sprout the baby pepper plant grows too tall and gangly.
Any suggestions are welcome.

novadude said:
I have good luck with Redwood City Seeds, however, the Tepins need special care to germinate. I havent been able to get any of them to sprout. Also Redwood City seeds now has Bhut's. Another way to go is to order live plants. I have ordered from Cross Country Nursery before in New Jersey, but the plants died within 10 days after receiving them. They weren't very helpful when I emailed them for help.
The biggest problem I have is after the seeds sprout the baby pepper plant grows too tall and gangly.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Make sure your light source is only 1 or 2 inches from the plants. Tall and gangly plants means that they are stretching for light. Keeping the light close to the plants keeps them from stretching to the light. Hope this helps!
Happy Peppering!
Charles

ThePepperGrowingMan said:
Do you have a link for Redwood City Seeds?

Don't believe anything they say, their site confuses soo many people over the years. For example: never use peat, or the "Dremann's scale" LOL
Not sure of seed quality but they are re-sellers, and scammers in my opinion
http://www.ecoseeds.com/
Tepin is the world's hottest pepper;)
I just noticed their Super bhut ghost pepper(tm) LOL

so for the "super bhut" it says

"Super-Bhut™ Jolokia is seed selected from the biggest fruit from the most productive plants..."

and the site says

"We certify that as far as we know, ALL OF THE SEEDS listed on our website and printed catalog are open pollinated and untreated..."

so if they are just pulling seeds from bigger than average bhuts that are open pollinated you would be just as likely to get a regular sized bhut or a cross of some kind as you would be to get a "super bhut" right?

if you are going to try tepins you should soak them in fish emulsion for a couple of hours then plant them in dirt if you dont then you should wait about 3 months for your first sprout the super bhut is probably a cross of a red bell and a bhut jolokia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back