• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Need help with recipe....

After reading HPFF other post, I thought it was a good idea to experiment with store bought peppers. I was at Walmart and found that they had several different types in stock, I usually don't buy produce at Walmart but I caved in...I have never canned before, but use to help my mother when I was really young, so I'm looking for any help/suggestions and maybe a simple recipe that I can find.

HPFF's recipe sounds really good. I am just unsure of the specifice steps that are needed for food safety sake.

Here is my list of ingredients that I would like to try canning:

Anaheim Peppers
Serrano Peppers
Jalapeno Peppers
Large sweet onion
Garlic not pictured
Pickling Salt (If needed)
Bread & Butter Quick Process Pickle Mix
Apple Cider Vinegar

Thanks in advance for any guidance that everyone might give.

DSCF2364.jpg

DSCF2363.jpg

Does this recipe sound good for use with my listed ingredients?

PICKLED BANANA PEPPER

peppers
garlic
dill
1 cup pickling salt
1 cup vinegar
1 gallon water

Wash peppers, make a slit in the side of each pepper. Alternatively, cut in half and remove seeds. Bell peppers can be used instead; cut into strips with some jalapeno added for zip.
Pack in sterilized jars. For each jar, use one clove garlic, one bunch dill or one teaspoon dill seed.

Bring pickling mixture to boil, pour over peppers and adjust seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Tip: Heat jar lids before using for best results.

Here are a couple other direction/recipes that I found.

Pickled Hot Peppers:Wash hot peppers. Wearing rubber gloves, slash whole peppers and quarter large ones. Blanch and peel. Fill jars and cover with boiling liquid (boiled 10 min.) made of 5 c. vinegar, 1 c. water, 4 t. salt, 2 T. sugar, and 3 cloves garlic.(You may wish to double the liquid recipe depending on the amount of peppers you are pickling.)Leave 1/2-inch headspace and process pints and quarts for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pickled Banana Peppers:Wash long, yellow peppers. Make a slash in each pepper and soak overnight in a solution of salt water made out of 1-1/2 C. canning salt and 4 quarts water. Make a pickling liquid from 2 C. water, 1/4 C. sugar, 10 C. Vinegar, and 2 cloves of garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes; then remove garlic. While pickling liquid is simmering, rinse, drain, and pack peppers into hot jars. Pour hot liquid over pickles leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Process pints 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

Question: Is it really this easy?

I'm just worried about botulism and don't want to make myself sick...

I havent canned before either but from the recipes I have seen this sounds about right. Just make sure everything is boiled/sterilized to prevent spoiling and any unnecessary "mishaps"

Thanks Luckydog, I guess I'm going to just dive into this later today. I'll post which recipe I choose with some pics later.

Well, I pickled 4 quarts yesterday. Here is what I did:
8 cups of cider vintager
4 cups of water
3/4 cup of Pickling canning salt
1/2 teaspoon dill
1 1/2 teaspoon of garlic
handful of chopped onion
combined with equal amounts of the above listed peppers.

I boiled the vintager, salt and water and poured it over the jars stuffed with the other ingredients ( I had plenty of liquid left over to do more, but didn't have anymore peppers) and placed them in the hot water bath for 10 minutes.

I have been resisting the urge to open a jar and have a taste, but I read somewhere that all of the flavors will combine and the flavor will be better after a couple of weeks. I just don't see myself being able to hold out that long...

Paul
While it is true if they sit longer the flavor will be better but go ahead jump in after 1 day I did with mine and they were great. I also made some Gardenia(the spicy jars of sliced carrots
celery cauliflower (I dont like it so i didnt add it :lol:) etc)
using same method as i did bebore but added some dehydrated
Hab,Jalapeno and hot green chile's to the pickling spices and
thru some hab flakes and my hot green pepper flakes in and
It was good!!

Thanks Tom, I was going to try and add some minced Habs that I have to each jar, but stopped myself. I didn't want to waste the habs if it flopped.

Did my method sound safe to you?

Quick update

Well, I took HPFF advise and dove into a jar today for lunch (yes, I ate the whole jar). I was pleasantly surprised. The flavors of the peppers were great. However, next time I think that I may try less dill, it was a bit over-powering. The cider vinegar was a good choice because it wasn't too vinegary tasting. The pepper combination of Anaheim, Serrano and Jalapeno was great and WOW, those little serranos pack a punch :mouthonfire: I wasn't really expecting that, I thought that they were going about the same heat level or less than a jalapeno. WOW! Now I can't wait to start experimenting with different recipes :lol:

Geez dude i didnt say eat the whole jar :lol:
i checked your ingredient list says 1/2 tsp dill
did you use dried dill weed that comes in a spice
jar or fresh dill i ask because the dried stuff
can be very overpowering
and you ate the whole jar did you get sick???
then its safe lol but really boiling water then hot bath
then fridge yep should be safe (then again I am no expert on canning/Pickling)was my 1st time too lol

I used the dried dill spice, I either need to switch to the fresh dill or cut way down.

I'm not sick...LOL...Stuffed though :) The full heat of the peppers didn't really kick in until I was almost done with the jar. So on top of it all, I had 3 glasses of milk and a bowl of clam chowder. LOL...I guess I should be sick with all of that :lol: Like I said, I really wasn't expecting it to be that hot.

Pepperfreak said:
I used the dried dill spice, I either need to switch to the fresh dill or cut way down.

Just switch use fresh only but if you cant get any fresh
then yes cut down or just try it without dill most
recipes(well pickled pepper recipe's) dont call for it anyway i just have a prefrence for it

Thanks for the advise. I think I will try some fresh dill next time in a couple of jars and none in a couple to see which is better.

Pepperfreak said:
WOW, those little serranos pack a punch :mouthonfire: I wasn't really expecting that, I thought that they were going about the same heat level or less than a jalapeno. WOW!

Paul
A Jalapeno rates 2500 to 8000 heat units on the Scoville scale while a Serrano rates 10,000 to 23,000 they pack a punch:lol:I myself have never tried a Serrano yet (note i said yet) but that scale(how true it is can be debated)can sort of prepare you to what to expect heat wise in a Chile
hey look I used the Scoville Scale all you Chileheads must
be Teaching me a thing or 2 :)

HotPeppersFlyFishing said:
Paul
A Jalapeno rates 2500 to 8000 heat units on the Scoville scale while a Serrano rates 10,000 to 23,000 they pack a punch:lol:I myself have never tried a Serrano yet (note i said yet) but that scale(how true it is can be debated)can sort of prepare you to what to expect heat wise in a Chile
hey look I used the Scoville Scale all you Chileheads must
be Teaching me a thing or 2 :)

Thanks Tom...I NOW know that they are hotter than JalapeƱos. It kind of takes your breath when not expecting it...LOL...Thanks for referencing the heat scale, at least I now know for sure that I just wasn't reverting to a chili wimp (although I'm sure that is also debatable :lol:)

So PepperFreak, did you like this method of canning? Anything you would change? I'm sure other than making salsa and freezing my peppers this year, pickling/canning will be a method I will use.

CaLoR said:
So PepperFreak, did you like this method of canning? Anything you would change? I'm sure other than making salsa and freezing my peppers this year, pickling/canning will be a method I will use.

I did find this method very easy and have found a recipe that I truly loved because it didn't have an over powering vinegar taste to it. I found this on-line and tried it with some store bought peppers and it turned out great.

Marinated Peppers, here is the link to the recipe and it is in section 6-10

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/usda/utah_can_guide_06.pdf

The rest of this web page is also full of useful information

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/publications_usda.html

I also found some really good recipes on Ball's web page
http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home/1.php

Well thats good, I dont think I would like an overpowering vinagar taste anyway, I would be more interested in the garlic taste. I use a lot of garlic for BBQing and italian foods.

I assume boiling water bath just means plain old boiling doesnt it? Or did you use a pressure cooker?

CaLoR said:
Well thats good, I dont think I would like an overpowering vinagar taste anyway, I would be more interested in the garlic taste. I use a lot of garlic for BBQing and italian foods.

I assume boiling water bath just means plain old boiling doesn't it? Or did you use a pressure cooker?

I too love garlic and cook with it a lot. There are 2 methods to canning, one is the water bath method and this is where you boil water and set your jars in the boiling water for a set period of time. The other method is with a pressure cooker. I use the water bath method because i don't have a pressure cooker. You just have to make sure that you boil for the set amount of time to kill any bacteria that might later cause botulism and it's really easy by following a recipe like the one I found.

Umm...correct me if i'm wrong, but in all of the pickling recipes i've ever read, vinegar wasn't used in the pickling process. Is that only true for Dills or something??

fineexampl said:
Umm...correct me if i'm wrong, but in all of the pickling recipes i've ever read, vinegar wasn't used in the pickling process. Is that only true for Dills or something??

Pickling uses vinegar, in fact most canning recipes for low acid foods use some form of acid...vinegar, lemon juice, lime juice,etc to preserve them properly. Vinegar is the most common ingredient in pickles.

Jackie

Back