• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

music Musical Time Travel

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
I pretty much listen to music from the time I wake up til the time I go to bed, and I watch a ton of youtube videos of live performances from back in the day and it got me wondering, which bands would you go back in time to see during their "golden era"? I just watched this video and thought, "man that that must have been wild to be there".
https://youtu.be/4Hihge6FFVw

This would take me a very long time to name them all, here's a few.

Any number of the old jazz greats, Satchmo, Ella, Benny Goodman, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, etc.

Reggae: Bob, Peter, Tenor Saw, George Dekker, Pinchers

Concerts: Monterey Pops 1967, Us Festival 1983

Seen most of the metal bands thru 80's and 90's including some epic Day on the Greens, so I guess those are exempt?   :metal:

I'll go thru my classic and punk rock later   :cheers:  :high:

hogleg said:

Any number of the old jazz greats, Satchmo, Ella, Benny Goodman, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, etc.

Seen most of the metal bands thru 80's and 90's including some epic Day on the Greens, so I guess those are exempt?   :metal:

Who's got gas money for THAT time machine!

hogleg said:

Did they get a new singer yet? That dude was kinda creepy  :lol:  :cheers:

He is creepy. I heard him say he had "stuff coming out."

I snuck downstairs while my parents were sleeping to watch and record this performance when I was a kid. I recorded over one of my moms favorite movies. I believe it was that Barbra Streisand movie "Yentl". She was PISSED. Sorry mom. Lol
https://youtu.be/vtrbQkKQZGE

hogleg said:

+1 on Duke Ellington 

(And even if it makes me feel old.....I was at the Us Festival 83)

The Doors.  I think their music was OK, but Jim Morrison was a far more interesting personality.
I'd see some Grateful Dead.
And unquestionably, I'd need to witness Simon and Garfunkel at least three times.
But then we'd have to go back farther.
Chopin would be right in the mix.  I'd like to see if he could play Polonaise as well as his contemporaries.
Lizst, Beethoven, Bach, and especially Mozart.  I don't think he really laughed like he did in the movie.
And if I could maybe just hear Liz Phair one more time.  
Do I use the time machine for Tool, or just catch them in the here and now?

Edmick said:
I snuck downstairs while my parents were sleeping to watch and record this performance when I was a kid. I recorded over one of my moms favorite movies. I believe it was that Barbra Streisand movie "Yentl". She was PISSED. Sorry mom. Lol

Saw him live at mancuso  theater in Omaha  Nebraska 1996.... and again last night. He def was  a much better stage performer in the 90s. He basically just flopped around on stage and missed half his notes last night. Rob zombie on the other hand killed it as always. 

correction 

February 8, 1997

Back