• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles moruga scorpion new hottest in the world

I have already reached that point...I am selectively growing for pod shape/size/color...and I don't care what you call this...these came from my original 7 Pot SR seeds and I have been selecting for this pod type for the past 4 years...

11-30-11Grownasa7Pot.jpg

it's hotter than I can eat and I only use it in a puree form as a "warmer uppper" for my bloody mary's and powder form for cooking...it takes a while to get the amount of powder right to keep from burning yourself up though...made some brownies this past christmas...made 36 and used 1 tsp of TS powder...they were on the verge of "almost too hot to eat" but tasted delicious...to me, they are just a 7 Pot SR....period...that's where I got the seeds and that's what she called them...
Beautiful looking pods AJ!
:cheers:

I honestly just don't get the allure. This thing probably tastes awful. If you can even still taste after eating it. But in the spirit of science I guess I appreciate the achievement.

They actually taste pretty good in my opinion. They have more of a standard chinense flavor than the bhuts/nagas so they're easier to incorporate into food for me. The only super hot that I've had that I think tastes nasty is the yellow 7 pod, and it's not really a true superhot anyway.

That's a very interesting take, and a wonderful metaphor with the roses. I think as with all trends, market demand will ebb and flow. There will always be folks that are interested in the extremes, mainly to say they've experience something. But you're right. The bulk of staying power comes with the ability to find a niche that's memorable and generally enjoyed enough to find a larger, more constant audience. And I agree that taste, not heat, is what the vast majority of folks are looking for.

Exactly - I read somewhere that "superhots" are primarily grown for LTL weaponization - pepper spray, capsaicin powder paint balls, etc. and that as a condiment it represents about ~4% of the market, whereas something like Tapatio or Sriracha or Franks red-hot is the ~96%

You're right - there's always going to be a fascination with the extreme. But look at the brilliant color/shape of AJ's pepper above! And like he said, it's already slightly too hot.

I love the citrus undertones of the habanero & the crisp fresh taste of the jalapeƱo - subtleties I think you lose with the superhots. Nearly every post I've seen at THP about superhots says they taste bloody awful.

Maybe I'm biased because I look at peppers as food? Hmm

Anyway, nothing against the achievement, really - I applaud the effort. But I wish as much effort was being spent on flavor. Hard to get a military contract for that though I'm guessing.
;)

They actually taste pretty good in my opinion. They have more of a standard chinense flavor than the bhuts/nagas so they're easier to incorporate into food for me. The only super hot that I've had that I think tastes nasty is the yellow 7 pod, and it's not really a true superhot anyway.
Good to know! You've actually tasted this specific pepper?

You're among the 1st I've heard talk about these as tasting good.

Again - not disparaging 'em. Just think once you get over "X" million scovies it's enough already.
;)

Plus this thing isn't the hottest until I see Ted the Fire Breathing Idiot eat a handful & tell me it is. This should be the new testing standard IMO.
:dance:

And don't forget applications like pain amelioration, animal and insect repellents, and other possible anti-bacterial and anti-viral uses. I'm waiting for the pods I can just crack open and dump out pure cap.

And don't forget applications like pain amelioration, animal and insect repellents, and other possible anti-bacterial and anti-viral uses. I'm waiting for the pods I can just crack open and dump out pure cap.

yep - good points, all. Practical application Vs food product.

But like I said - I'm biased. I want food. Except Ted TFBI - we need people to keep advancing the heat envelope if for no other reason than to get new videos. :rofl:

that story will run all over the world in a lot of different countries...

I didn't catch that until you said it Derek...totally agree...nitrile 100%

Good to know! You've actually tasted this specific pepper?

You're among the 1st I've heard talk about these as tasting good.

Again - not disparaging 'em. Just think once you get over "X" million scovies it's enough already.
;)

Yeah I grew them last year. Their flavor isn't much different than a red habanero, they're just far hotter. They're maybe a little fruitier than red habaneros. Sometimes it's useful to have a concentrated source of heat. For example, if I'm making chile and I use chipotle, ancho, and California for the chile powder. I like the flavor of these chiles, but they don't have much heat, so I could add a Moruga or two. Or I could add 50 chile de arbol, but that would make the chile bitter and result in too much powder. Or I could add 5-10 habaneros, but then the fruitiness of the habaneros will overpower the smokiness and earthiness of the chipotle and ancho. Same thing if I'm making a guajillo sauce and want it a little hotter. The superhots are great used in combination with less potent chiles to get the flavor and heat I'm after, because a Moruga or scorpion in a pot of soup won't alter the flavor very much, but it will definitely alter the heat.

The superhots are probably less than 10% of what I grow, and part of it is the novelty factor, but most of them taste pretty good and have their uses in the kitchen too.

yeah, I can see that - I use the Red Savina in the same manner. hundreds of gm of normal Habs + 4-5 Red Savinas turned a recipe from hot to xtra hot in a flash without materially impacting flavor.

I guess I'm thinking more of the superhots I've heard described as tasting like dirt. Interesting to know that this new one is indeed a more practical food pepper.

Still wonder if it's that important to get it THIS hot vs say, the Red Savina hot. But that's semantics I guess.

I read that Huffington post article a few days ago, it's actually a good article. They actually did some research, got all the facts correct, and wrote a quality article. :cool:

yeah, I can see that - I use the Red Savina in the same manner. hundreds of gm of normal Habs + 4-5 Red Savinas turned a recipe from hot to xtra hot in a flash without materially impacting flavor.

I guess I'm thinking more of the superhots I've heard described as tasting like dirt. Interesting to know that this new one is indeed a more practical food pepper.

Still wonder if it's that important to get it THIS hot vs say, the Red Savina hot. But that's semantics I guess.

It's not just Morugas. Red 7 Pods and scorpions are great too, and have fairly standard red chinense flavor. The scorpions have the most habbish/neutral flavor of the 3 imo. 7 Pods and Morugas are more fruity.

I like the flavor of the bhuts/nagas a lot too, but they're a little more difficult to pair with food for me. They have a very unique flavor. Their flavor is great for some things but is a little out of place in other things. When dried they smell a lot like strawberries. They make a really good strawberry hot sauce that's great on pizza or breakfast food.

the only bad thing I have heard about bad tasting superhots was the original Butch T....being very nasty tasting and extremely hot...

all of the superhots I have grown have had that typical extreme citrusy/fruity taste and smell divine...

and when AB said the yellow 7 Pot was nasty, that blew me away...that is one of the more tasty 7s I have tasted...

not gonna argue 'cause everyone's palate is different...

It's not just Morugas. Red 7 Pods and scorpions are great too, and have fairly standard red chinense flavor. The scorpions have the most habbish/neutral flavor of the 3 imo. 7 Pods and Morugas are more fruity.

I like the flavor of the bhuts/nagas a lot too, but they're a little more difficult to pair with food for me. They have a very unique flavor. Their flavor is great for some things but is a little out of place in other things. When dried they smell a lot like strawberries. They make a really good strawberry hot sauce that's great on pizza or breakfast food.

Appreciate the education on these - goes to show that when I read something it's the opinion of one person & thus not truly representative. I've tried both 7 pods & Bhuts and as mentioned they're just far too hot for me to appreciate the fruitiness - I'm too busy dying from the heat. Neither tasted foul though.

But I do agree about the practical application. It's interesting to hear about the more fruity tasting ones and makes me wonder if these could be cross bred to focus on that fruity flavor attribute while taming down the ludicrous heat quality?

Now that would be sweet! (no pun intended)

I quite like the flavor of yellow bhuts (at least the ones I grew). They are unique and not THAT hot. My chocolate habs were hotter last year, and had their own unique palate-cleansing flavor.

But regardless, superhots will always be a niche culinary market. Of course, these days, creative chefs can do amazing things with extreme ingredients and still incorporate them tastefully.

Back