• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles moruga scorpion new hottest in the world

I am not claiming all of my seeds for this year looked like those pods...just sayin'....

these were my absolute best from 2011...but eventually, I am trying to just get a consistent pod shape and color change...and I truly don't care about the heat...they are hotter than anything I have ever had is enough for me....

Ronnie you have plenty of work in on that pepper. More than some other renames we see. So let's put our thinking caps on.
How about 7 pod Trinidad AJ Moruga Fort Worth Blend. Or for short 7 pod TAJFW Blend.

I have already reserved the domain name www.TAFW.com for the huge seed sales.

Let the fun begin. But we will need a DNA test to prove to the scientific community it is a pepper. OK?

thanks armac, but I really don't need any pods named after me...I only got some seeds from a nice lady in Trinidad and I call them what she labelled them. Trinidad Scorpion, 7 Pot, Yellow 7 Pot (came out of the red 7 Pot package), Cherry Top, and a no heat seasoning pepper...that's what she called them and that's what I'm callin' them...I suppose I could show an SR at the end of my labelling...

you have to remember, I am back to hobby growing...

I find all this fascinating, but since I have learned so much from AJ, I kind of have his take on it. A Bhut is a bhut, a Scorpion is a Scorpion, a 7-pot is a 7-pot. I don't get this need to attach more names to them. In simple biology traits are seen in some generations and not the next. This is the same for peppers and heat. If a pod from one plant is 2 million Shu it has absolutely no guarantee that the next plant will be even close to that. Heck the next POD might not be close to that. So WHY all the fuss? They are hot, they are cool. We all grow them. I don't get it.

Chilehead in the past would always label their seed source to keep track of the different variations and selective breeding attempts. These days all the new names are getting out of hand. Why not just label the common name and the seeds source to avoid confusion and maybe add a small description
For example: Trinidad Scorpion-BT, 7pod-SR(extra bumpy) etc.

Its very difficult for a hobbiest to breed for non visual traits. You'd have to dedicate a lot of time and space and do a tonne of sampling for flavor and heat as well

Disease,drought,or cold resistance.... Does anyone breed for that? Seems more constructive and beneficial to me. Maybe even for better yields.

Yeah, I was trying for drought- and heat-tolerance last summer and cold tolerance this winter. But since none of my breeding population survived the stressors, I didn't get very far. :doh:

On the other hand, most of my more usual cold-tolerant veggies survived two consecutive nights of 10º F temps last week, so there is that.

This guy is breeding for adverse conditions and appears to have had some success re peppers. (Hope the link doesn't violate T&C. He's a friend of a friend.)

Not the way I read it

Jim
" I won't argue with any of you but I grew out Butch T from Neal and Judy along side Ronnies Scorpions he got from Sarah and had thousands of plants and could not see a difference. So all seeds I sent to institute that represented Scorpion were just labeled Trinidad Scorpion" :(

But right before that he said

"First of all I did give them Butch T seeds but I never labeled them that."

So it seems that he's at least saying he gave them a mixture of Butch T and regular, if not all Butch T.

But right before that he said

"First of all I did give them Butch T seeds but I never labeled them that."

So it seems that he's at least saying he gave them a mixture of Butch T and regular, if not all Butch T.

This just slays me too. Why wouldn't you put the exact name of the pepper on the packet of seeds? What's the point of testing if you don't know exactly what the plant is?

"I've got some Trinidad Scorpion, Trinidad Scorption SR, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, Trinidad Scorpion Yellow, Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend seeds I would like tested." "Hope you don't mind if they're all mixed up."

This just slays me too. Why wouldn't you put the exact name of the pepper on the packet of seeds? What's the point of testing if you don't know exactly what the plant is?

"I've got some Trinidad Scorpion, Trinidad Scorption SR, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, Trinidad Scorpion Yellow, Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend seeds I would like tested." "Hope you don't mind if they're all mixed up."

Yeah that makes absolutly no sense...especially if one is so careful to isolate and preserve the seeds. "Hey I got this random packet of seeds I would like you to grow and test..."

Outside the chile world I don't think this will have much impact, most of the people I talk to think the Habanero is still the hottest...you start rattling off Super-Hots like Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion BT, and the 7Pod/Pot and they look at you like you've just spoken Martian...

Outside the chile world I don't think this will have much impact, most of the people I talk to think the Habanero is still the hottest...you start rattling off Super-Hots like Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion BT, and the 7Pod/Pot and they look at you like you've just spoken Martian...

It will make a difference when they jump on the google and type in " hottest chilli in the world". Claiming a world record then becomes a very good form of SEO. Not to mention Wikipedia...

Just seen this today. I always heard that its hotter tasting than Butch T. And I heard that it could possibly be the Brainstrain as well. love the drama though. Glad the scene is in the news though.

IMO, I like tasty peppers though. They dont have to be hot (they can be) but they have to be tasty.

yes and how do they taste again?...

exactly. Well put.

fun fact: the dude who cried like a little girl and is the CEO of the Wiamea Bay Chili Company? Well when I googled him after seeing that "world's dumbest" I saw he was posting about how there's no proof of this new pepper being the hottest and yada yada yada"

Yeah - his website is "www.thehottestpepper.com" Guess he has a vested interest in this new one NOT being the hottest.

:rofl:

I honestly just don't get the allure. This thing probably tastes awful. If you can even still taste after eating it. But in the spirit of science I guess I appreciate the achievement.

It reminds me of when I worked in roses in the Netherlands. There was a public outcry at the time because all of the rose breeders (like the one I worked at) were breeding for 1. height, 2. color, 3. longevity (life in a vase). When you breed for those traits, you invariably breed out smell. People were getting pissed - they'd get a dozen long stemmed red roses that smelled like nothing at all. So the Dutch and African growers were forced to go back and cross breed with wild English garden roses - floppy and sloppy but smell heavenly.

I am wondering if there will be a similar trend eventually with hot peppers - where people say "enough is enough already!" and focus instead on breeding for the best flavor. I for one would applaud the effort.
:cheers:

/rant

I put my two cents worth in and stirred the pot I guess. I agree with all who speak against creative renaming...nothing wrong with labeling seeds exactly as you received them in order to cut down on multiple names for the same blessed pepper. Be honest and eliminate all the baloney.

I am wondering if there will be a similar trend eventually with hot peppers - where people say "enough is enough already!" and focus instead on breeding for the best flavor. I for one would applaud the effort.

I have already reached that point...I am selectively growing for pod shape/size/color...and I don't care what you call this...these came from my original 7 Pot SR seeds and I have been selecting for this pod type for the past 4 years...

11-30-11Grownasa7Pot.jpg

it's hotter than I can eat and I only use it in a puree form as a "warmer uppper" for my bloody mary's and powder form for cooking...it takes a while to get the amount of powder right to keep from burning yourself up though...made some brownies this past christmas...made 36 and used 1 tsp of TS powder...they were on the verge of "almost too hot to eat" but tasted delicious...to me, they are just a 7 Pot SR....period...that's where I got the seeds and that's what she called them...

exactly. Well put.

fun fact: the dude who cried like a little girl and is the CEO of the Wiamea Bay Chili Company? Well when I googled him after seeing that "world's dumbest" I saw he was posting about how there's no proof of this new pepper being the hottest and yada yada yada"

Yeah - his website is "www.thehottestpepper.com" Guess he has a vested interest in this new one NOT being the hottest.

:rofl:

I honestly just don't get the allure. This thing probably tastes awful. If you can even still taste after eating it. But in the spirit of science I guess I appreciate the achievement.

It reminds me of when I worked in roses in the Netherlands. There was a public outcry at the time because all of the rose breeders (like the one I worked at) were breeding for 1. height, 2. color, 3. longevity (life in a vase). When you breed for those traits, you invariably breed out smell. People were getting pissed - they'd get a dozen long stemmed red roses that smelled like nothing at all. So the Dutch and African growers were forced to go back and cross breed with wild English garden roses - floppy and sloppy but smell heavenly.

:cheers:

/rant

That's a very interesting take, and a wonderful metaphor with the roses. I think as with all trends, market demand will ebb and flow. There will always be folks that are interested in the extremes, mainly to say they've experience something. But you're right. The bulk of staying power comes with the ability to find a niche that's memorable and generally enjoyed enough to find a larger, more constant audience. And I agree that taste, not heat, is what the vast majority of folks are looking for.

Back