• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Making ground pepper - problem.

LordHill said:
I was making suckers and powder a week ago. Ended up shaving the ol mustache off to stop the pain lol.. and unfortunately I am a nail biter, so my mouth burnt most of the day, with the occassional eye burn..

Ill tell you whats worse than powder in the air. When you put pepper powder into a pan of melted sugar and corn syrup at around 290°.. it hits the lungs damn hard lol.. last batch I stepped out onto the porch to mix it and their just wasnt any wind at all. Brutal.

Such is the chili life

Yeah, well, I guess you never used the restroom did you? I've done that several times over the years... takes the longest to be rid of also!!!! mama mia!

Spicy Joe said:

Yeah, well, I guess you never used the restroom did you? I've done that several times over the years... takes the longest to be rid of also!!!! mama mia!
I have had juice and powder on my hands alot of times, honestly have never burnt my junk yet. I assume its coming, but I try to keep the touching to a minimum. I try to keep my hands off the little woman on pepper night as well lol

Just recently dropped a bunch of home made goat weed pepper powder on a dry griddle by accident, the smoke it emitted was like being tear gassed. My cat even ran outta the room and looked at me like "why did you do that asshole!" Haha

LordHill said:
I have had juice and powder on my hands alot of times, honestly have never burnt my junk yet. I assume its coming, but I try to keep the touching to a minimum. I try to keep my hands off the little woman on pepper night as well lol

Been there, done that also. the easiest is to forget and give her a kiss..... hah!

D3monic said:
hahaha I've learned all these lessons the hard way and still burn myself periodically. Nothing like burning prick....

I had some reaper X Moruga flakes that I ground up and opened grinder immediatly. Nuked the whole kitchen. girlfriend was standing right next to me when it happened. Hit both of us like a atom bomb. She ran out the kitchen screaming I fcking hate you I fcking hate you over and over. My lungs hurt, was drooling and snot pouring down my face... lesson learned. i do all my dehydrating and grinding outside and I let the grinder settle for a minute before I open it. I wear gloves 90% of the time I cut and deseed peppers. The other 10% of the time my nose, eyes , lips and prick are burning. 

One the most used items in my house

attachicon.gif
GLV107F1_W_L.jpg

I use them for cleaning, handling things I don't want to leave prints on, cooking/handling raw meat, peppers... kinky time.. you name it. 

You know what they say, a couple who's lungs burn together, stay together.  I bet that makes for a funny story at cocktail parties :)

M

I just found this thread. I have done the same as most of us have. Live and learn right?
   I dehydrate in the house. My lady has asthma and the air jacks with her some but not terribly. She hits her puffer if it gets too bad. I ask her if it needs to go to the garage but she says no. We had a friend come over to let the dogs out once when we were gone for the day. We had 2 dehydrators filled and going. He about fell out. He had to open the sliding door to tolerate it. Nothing like the scorpion pepper/superhot smell.
   I wear gloves for most hot pepper cutting. I have never really had a problem with jap or serano level peppers but not getting washed enough makes various "other" activities painful. Like rubbing your eye later or biting my nails too. I once cut up a butt load of serano peppers and the backs of my hands burnt for days. Even though I had never had problems with cutting average amounts of moderate heat peppers that experience learnt me.  I use a powder free nitrile glove I buy from a supplier who sells items to my job. They are black Midknight gloves made by Microflex. $10 a box. Latex gloves have been known to allow the oil to pass through. Plus I can't stand to wear latex gloves. I've never had to double up on the nitrile gloves when grinding superhots.
   I grind out in the garage. You are grinding the basis for pepper spray and mace so by all means beware. I wear goggles, a respirator, (some sort of face mask) and gloves. Usually I wear long sleeves too. I usually spend 30-60 minutes grinding the various varieties up and even all hazmated up i still end up with a little burn to the eyes or nose or wrists. Where's Walter White when you need his suit? And yes. Use a dedicated grinder for just your peppers.
   I jar up my powders. When spooning it out later either to use or sell use caution then too. If you shake up the jar 1st let it settle a minute or two before opening. Nothing like a good whiff to get the sneezing started or the lung burn going.

Back