• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying Making ground pepper - problem.

yea hate powdered gloves. I don't mind wearing the powder free ones. use them all the time in the lab, handling crude samples ect. I don't like touching dirty things with my hands. Hell I don't even like air on my hands. I'll stick them in my pockets if I'm not using them.... And we wonder why my kinds have sensory processing disorder. 

Just snagged a box of the black nitrile while I was ordering from amazon. Wouldn't like them for oil because wouldn't be able to see how contaminated but just fine for peppers. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CF49L40/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

So... at what heat level do you guys start wearing gloves when handling peppers?
For all peppers or only when you start to reach superhot heat levels?

Ohjay said:
So... at what heat level do you guys start wearing gloves when handling peppers?

Probably anything around habanero or higher for me. My nose and scrotum have differing opinions on heat level to what my taste buds sense. 

backyardpepper said:
There really should be a How to guide on peppers that breaks EVERYTHING down before you even start. So far this week I have burned my privates, eyes, hands, fingers, under my nails, face, and now my whole body.. I hit the cap on the grinder a little when it was still running, dust came flying out and onto my clothes, I went to change and while I was changing somehow that dust got all over my body. Why do peppers have to be so painful?!?!

The oils/dust don't wash off my hands so I'm sitting here with gloves on.
this is one of the funniest posts I've read in a while! Thanks for the laugh and yeah with super hots always beware!

Why do peppers have to be so painful? I cant be the only person who grows them for the lava heat. If I wanted to grow things not brutal I would get in the garden with the little woman

Ohjay said:
I have super-sensitive skin so I wear gloves when handling any kind of chile. And when doing any kind of cleaning. And when working with yard stuff (fertilizer, potting soil, etc.) And….

I am liking this topic.  Seems to me most of this has happened here as well.  I found though that last year I bought a Magic Bullet specifically for powdering my peppers and it works great.  Also outside it is for me as well.

Since we're also on the topic of dehydrating in this thread.
How do you guys go about using a dehydrator if you can't use one outside, in terms of avoiding unnecessary burning sensations?  :fireball:

I have to use my dehydrator inside it seems. Being in Central FL everytime I use it outside there is too much humidity and nothing actually crisps up.

Honestly when I dehydrate in the house i dont even crack a window. The A/C is running for me not the rest of the world. It smells of peppers, but it doesnt actually burn. Walking right by the dehydrator might get the ol eyes a quick watering, but its not bad

*I also dont wear gloves, so maybe im just not as sensitive as some.. keep that in mind when taking my opinions

LordHill said:
Honestly when I dehydrate in the house i dont even crack a window. The A/C is running for me not the rest of the world. It smells of peppers, but it doesnt actually burn. Walking right by the dehydrator might get the ol eyes a quick watering, but its not bad

*I also dont wear gloves, so maybe im just not as sensitive as some.. keep that in mind when taking my opinions

May I ask what sort of peppers were talking about? In terms of heat that is. Supers?

Ohjay said:

May I ask what sort of peppers were talking about? In terms of heat that is. Supers?
So far I have dehydrated and powdered the following

Bhut
Reaper
Red savina Habanero
Jalapeno

These I have dehydrated, but not powdered... yet

Black naga
7 Pot Douglah
Superhot Beast

So to answer your question, yes superhots get dehydrated at my house right in the kitchen. It really isnt that bad.

Back