• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest January is Chopped

The first secret ingredient should start with...

• A

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • B

• C

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • D

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • E

• F

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • G

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep...ran one of my ideas past the wife, and got the official eye-roll-snear.

Looks like I found a winner.

BTW - I started searching to see if there were any recipes using some or all of my brainstormed ingredients...turns out, there is an article about this TD's specific combination...lol.

Holy Yoda in a paddle boat...I hate to say it, but I had a flash of inspiration the second I saw the 3 ingredients. I'm gonna have to search my ass off to find Swiss Chard that doesn't taste like grass-clippings...but I have a an idea that will send my wife and 3 year old running down the street...

If I can find what I need...I AM IN.

Where are you in Texas, LunchBox? Chard should be plentiful in our parts this time of year. If you're near me, I'll tell you exactly where you can get it.

Where are you in Texas, LunchBox? Chard should be plentiful in our parts this time of year. If you're near me, I'll tell you exactly where you can get it.

Not anymore...lol...I used to live on Craddock in San Marcos...ate at that Mexican joint across from the fire station all the time. Now, I'm up in DFW.

Not anymore...lol...I used to live on Craddock in San Marcos...ate at that Mexican joint across from the fire station all the time. Now, I'm up in DFW.

Small world.

Dude, if you live in DFW, hit up a farmers market or just go by a Whole Foods or Central Market. Call ahead, but I'd be somewhat surprised to not find it this time of year.

Yeah...small world indeed. In fact...I see your avatar...and have to say that I used to race mountain bikes as well...lol

still working it~~~ got an idea that no one in the house will eat~

:thinking:

Yeah...small world indeed. In fact...I see your avatar...and have to say that I used to race mountain bikes as well...lol

lol. That's a little kid in Mexico on a dock in Zihautanejo. We thought it was a really cute and funny show, and my wife got a great shot of it. Can't hardly tell with that size.

We once hosted a cyclocross and a couple of crits at our business. How long you been gone from San Marcos?

lol. That's a little kid in Mexico on a dock in Zihautanejo. We thought it was a really cute and funny show, and my wife got a great shot of it. Can't hardly tell with that size.

We once hosted a cyclocross and a couple of crits at our business. How long you been gone from San Marcos?

About 5 years...I miss it though...good food...close to Austin...a stone's throw from the Guad. To be fair, though...I did ride one road race. I finished 7th out of over 300. I was on my hardtail xc mountain bike with 2.1" knobby tires...my boss told me he'd give me the day off with pay...as a dare...just to see how bad I'd do.

He never bothered me again about biking.

About 5 years...I miss it though...good food...close to Austin...a stone's throw from the Guad. To be fair, though...I did ride one road race. I finished 7th out of over 300. I was on my hardtail xc mountain bike with 2.1" knobby tires...my boss told me he'd give me the day off with pay...as a dare...just to see how bad I'd do.

He never bothered me again about biking.

and CHOPS for YOU! !!!

well I really hate chard for one, and for two the rules of the whole throwdown thing have gotten out of hand to the point where its not fun anymore, its just work for nothing
Well, I can relate to the TD being "just work for nothing" - go to all this trouble to make something awesome tasting, then no one but me to eat it makes it kind of a let-down. BUT I enjoy the challenge, and the folks on the thread are just too nice and fun. At the same time, if you "really hate chard" like I really hate black pepper, I can see sitting this one out - I would sit out one if we were required to use BP in a TD. Still, I don't quite understand the statement that the "rules.... have gotten out of hand" - huh??? I'm also curious as to why you think this.

What do we do if we can;t find any chard? (Damn I wish I froze some from the garden) None of the grocery stores seem to be carrying it.

What do we do if we can;t find any chard? (Damn I wish I froze some from the garden) None of the grocery stores seem to be carrying it.
Whole Foods, Portland or Belgrade. It's pretty readily available hit a few markets and ask the produce manager, it sometimes sells under different names. Swiss chard, chard, spinach beet, silverbeet, crab beet, seakale beet, mangold, perpetual spinach.

I do know swiss chard when I see it. I've been growing it for years now. The reason we started was because we couldn't get it in the grocery stores. The Whole Foods in Dover NH didn't have any, and I'm not driving an hour to Portland on a maybe.

The closest substitute is beet greens. Chard has a beet flavor hence the other names, and beet greens are very similar. If you can't buy beet greens alone all you have to do is buy beets and use the greens ;)

This is an allowable substitute.

Melba toast is in the cracker section of almost every market. It is in a rectangular package. This is not substitutable. Cornish hens are readily available as well.

I hope this helps.

Beet greens may be obtainable, it's rare to see the greens sold. But often the beets are sold with the greens. Yeah cornish hens are easy to get. Pretty sure I could find melba toast in the store, though I'm just as likely to make some. I've made it before it's basically a cracker shaped crouton made without using fat.

Well the idea is what to do with melba toast after it is given to you in a challenge so making it really does not make sense. Try to buy the packaged, and if you can't find it I guess that is an option, but let's try to keep this as close to the challenge as possible. I'm trying to be flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back