• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Jalapeno's not hot at all?

POTAWIE said:
Most grocery store jalapenos these days are mild, and they are green, often not even ripe-green. That's the big reason I started growing my own pepeprs many years ago

This is EXACTLY why I'm growing my own this year. I love the flavor or jalapenos & serranos, & I want them to start kicking my ass!

I think the xalapas you find here will be mostly not very picante because they are grown for the Gringo market.

Xalapas in Mexico are pretty picante and chipotles made from xalapas are quite picante.

You can get seed for picante xalapas.

willard3 said:
I think the xalapas you find here will be mostly not very picante because they are grown for the Gringo market.

Xalapas in Mexico are pretty picante and chipotles made from xalapas are quite picante.

You can get seed for picante xalapas.

The ones I buy at that Fiesta! Mexican grocery store have consistently good heat. Plus they tend to carry fully ripe red ones too, which I love as well.

And they carry rocotos and manzanos!

I've noticed a lot of the Mexican products are that way. My girlfriend went on a cruise that stopped several places in mexico and she brought me back some "Kut Mayan Salsa" that's hot as hell. No english on the label though, and definitely no warning about how awesome it would be.

She also bought back a sauce that was labeled in english and spanish and obviously for export that claimed to be XXXXXTra hot and was pretty mild.

Txclosetgrower said:
I've noticed a lot of the Mexican products are that way. My girlfriend went on a cruise that stopped several places in mexico and she brought me back some "Kut Mayan Salsa" that's hot as hell. No english on the label though, and definitely no warning about how awesome it would be.

She also bought back a sauce that was labeled in english and spanish and obviously for export that claimed to be XXXXXTra hot and was pretty mild.

Same thing in the bahamas. The goat pepper sauce they have in the souvenir shops is still pretty hot, but the same brand sauce at the locals markets is waaaay hotter. I always bring a case of the mango pineapple goat pepper sauce back when i go down there.

ALSO...

The ones you get on pizza or nachos have been soaked in vinegar that takes some of the heat out.

FRESH jalapenos are a lot hotter, especially if you get real ones.

imaguitargod said:
Not everyone, so you are definitly ahead of the curve. :lol:
Haha yeah I suppose I am.

I've always wondered why they put the jalapenos in a liquid LOL.

I guess I'm not going to add them to my sub from now on LOL.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with pickled jalapenos! Pickled peppers are were my gateway drug!

The ones we used to get when I started working at pizza hut were hot as all hell. They must have switched suppliers though because they started coming in larger bags and were pretty mild after that.

I wish I could find out where they got that first variety, I've never seen a pickled jalapeno that was even in the same ballpark heat-wise. They would actually make me do that air-sucking thing if i ate a few....

Txclosetgrower said:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with pickled jalapenos! Pickled peppers are were my gateway drug!

The ones we used to get when I started working at pizza hut were hot as all hell. They must have switched suppliers though because they started coming in larger bags and were pretty mild after that.

I wish I could find out where they got that first variety, I've never seen a pickled jalapeno that was even in the same ballpark heat-wise. They would actually make me do that air-sucking thing if i ate a few....
Hey you have a point Tx,

By the way TX as iggy once said my little tad pole seedlings or however he said it still only have a tail but they do look bigger and it looks like about 4 out of 10 little seeds made it.

My wife and I love pickled jals. We probably go through a quart every two weeks. Back to the original statement, I had two plants come from seeds from the same pod that were on complete opposite ends of the hotness scale. Some pods I swear were hotter than the orange habs I grew last year and the other plant produced very mild ones.

millworkman said:
My wife and I love pickled jals. We probably go through a quart every two weeks. Back to the original statement, I had two plants come from seeds from the same pod that were on complete opposite ends of the hotness scale. Some pods I swear were hotter than the orange habs I grew last year and the other plant produced very mild ones.
Very cool, I may have to jar up some jals. if my seeds sprout more.

By the way can I make a jal jam?

PhatManDerek said:
By the way can I make a jal jam?

Yes. You can do anything you want to with any pepper you grow.

: gets out guitar :

: tunes up :

: signs :

Ohhhhohhhhh!!! You can....mash 'em, you can sauce 'em,
You can plant the seeds that come out in your poo
You can fry 'em you can dice them
You can throw them in a stew

imaguitargod said:
Yes. You can do anything you want to with any pepper you grow.

: gets out guitar :

: tunes up :

: signs :

Ohhhhohhhhh!!! You can....mash 'em, you can sauce 'em,
You can plant the seeds that come out in your poo
You can fry 'em you can dice them
You can throw them in a stew
That sounds like you need to play in the key of A and e.

do 2 minor chords and 1 major chord also set it around 105 beats per minute.....

:)

Back