• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

annuum Jalapeno's not hot at all?

I bought a bunch last week here in NJ. Similar experience. The ones that had the smooth skin were not hot at all, tasting like green bell pepper. Some had the mature skin texture that you see on the red ripe ones and took a bite of one of those and was so hot it made my eyes tear a bit. ...this from a guy who eats some pretty hot food. I eat bits of habaneros in my breakfast most days.

worlok said:
I bought a bunch last week here in NJ. Similar experience. The ones that had the smooth skin were not hot at all, tasting like green bell pepper. Some had the mature skin texture that you see on the red ripe ones and took a bite of one of those and was so hot it made my eyes tear a bit. ...this from a guy who eats some pretty hot food. I eat bits of habaneros in my breakfast most days.
Same exact as mine!

Freezing doesn't affect heat, IMO. I have plenty of frozen pods that have no heat loss after being frozen a few years. I still think "corking" is an indicator of heat as is referenced in Wikipedia. But, for sure, jalapeno heat is extremely variable even from the same plant.

bigt said:
Freezing doesn't affect heat, IMO. I have plenty of frozen pods that have no heat loss after being frozen a few years. I still think "corking" is an indicator of heat as is referenced in Wikipedia. But, for sure, jalapeno heat is extremely variable even from the same plant.
Thanks Bigt, I'm glad it doesn't because I got some frozen habs in the freezer!

Corking is not a sign of heat but a sign of maturity (in some varieties) IMO. I've had corking on heatless jals and other heatless varieties as well as on Trinidad Scorpions.

Most grocery store jalapenos these days are mild, and they are green, often not even ripe-green. That's the big reason I started growing my own pepeprs many years ago

POTAWIE said:
Most grocery store jalapenos these days are mild, and they are green, often not even ripe-green. That's the big reason I started growing my own pepeprs many years ago
And these were ripe green when I purchased them.

I want real jalapenos dang it.

I feel another bosten tea party coming :)

but this time we'll hire peter griffon :)

cheezydemon said:
I'm so proud of us! Someone almost always posts "jalapenos are always mild!" which is horse sh*t.;)

Well they are*, but the answers are dependent of the question.

*Mild to the loonies on this forum who literally use habaneros in their breakfast...

Green-ripe is the stage before red-ripe. Its when they sell green bell peppers and usually jalapenos and seeds are usually mature.

I eat trini scorp sauce nearly every day at lunch, but a good fresh jalapeno is still hot if it is fresh and not a "tam" or whatever.

cheezydemon said:
I eat trini scorp sauce nearly every day at lunch, but a good fresh jalapeno is still hot if it is fresh and not a "tam" or whatever.

We are "wrestling" words here, but a jap is only kind of hot. I could ask for one on the pizza I eat for lunch because I want some heat, but in my world jalapenos are a mild pepper. Still hot mind you, but mild compared to the competition.

Sweet - mild - semihot - hot - superhot.

Bell (Not sure about these, peppers w/o capsaicin are all called 'paprika' in Sweden) - Jalapeno - Tabasco - Habanero - Naga Morich

Tam is a low heat variety developed by Texas A&M which is very popular in North American Grocery stores, but not popular among chileheads

Back