• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

breeding Interspecies cross-breeding question

so theoretically with the right lights and nuits you could take an F1 to stable(8 seasons) in 2 calendar years?

(F1 hybrids germinate normally) means you'll have simliar germination rates as the parents

F1 hybrids partially fertile). means you either you won't get a lot of seeds and/or they won't have high germination rates
Thanks, mate, that's what I was looking for! :D

I was actually just reading on another forum where they were talking about "partially fertile" hybrids. Nobody actually used the words "partially fertile" but they were talking about not getting a lot seeds and low germination rates and I figured that that is what a partially fertile plant must be.

As for "F1 hybrids germinate normally", it still sounds like it is left wide open....

Does "F1 hybrids germinate normally" simply mean just that - that the crossed seeds should be viable and the germination rates on them should be "normal"? And if so, does it mean that the F1 should be fertile too?

And what is involved in getting a "partially fertile" F1 to re-produce?
this subject and info about the genetics and inheritance interests me as you can see with the hybrids I like to grow...answer to the first question is yes, ...as to being partially fertile, I think this means that by breeding between certain species of pepper certain offspring could mutate or being a hybrid between the two species the anatomy i.e a. petals
b. stigma
c. pistil
d. stamens
e. blossom end
f. calyx

their shape could develop in a different way thus making it hard for the next generation to be fertilized or to fertilize????

But I've never seen a plant cross stabalized in 4 years. Most say 4-8 years to stabalize but I always say 6-10. Also with plants you can inbreed with the same plant and flower and not have to look for "another litter" Just isolate the desired plants each year and save seeds until they breed 100% true
I would think this to be true,...even though some hybrids phenotype (their visual appearance) seems to remain unchanged i.e.; a Habolokia chocolate strain from Talas which I believe through many generations has remained stable....still its genotype (its genetic make up) could be changing/evolving through selective breeding...i.e its flavor, heat, amount of seeds within the pod etc etc

You have to inbreed to stabalize, there is no other way
There is no way to keep the hybrid closer to the current generation without selecting desired characteristics for many years, and possible back-crosses and even then it isn't easy
its all just a matter of secting certain traits and time...lots of time, but possible

Its not complicated really. You cross 2 plants which is the difficult part, and then you isolate the most desirable plants each year and save seeds until they breed true.

I agree, after all is said and done the first initial cross is the hardest. After that its all just selective breeding on the part of the grower

Thanks, Grant, that is ONE extensive list! I'm sure after reading through, many of the questions in my head will be answered.... and then some! :cool:

Just quickly though, are you able to expand on NG (F1 hybrids germinate normally) too? Or have you ever tried crossing any of the NG species crosses on the table or can share what you know about such species compatibility? (e.g. baccatum x chinense or frutescens x baccatum)

3 more threads dedicated to this subject, maybe they could be of help...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/14369-cross-pollinating-peppers/page__p__293906__fromsearch__1#entry293906

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/5582-orange-thai-x-goats-weed-f1/page__gopid__450947#entry450947

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/2400-f1s-hybrids-making-your-own-crosses/page__p__30303__fromsearch__1#entry30303

Back