grills Information on Brinkman Gourmet Smoker and Grill

Burnin

15 pounds Royal Oak charcoal...three chunks of hickory...

It's Smokin'

012309c001.jpg

nothing in it...just "seasoning" the smoker...gonna smoke a brisket, some chicken and maybe a couple links of sausage tomorrow...

if the picture showed more of the yard...you would see a lot of it... :lol:

haven't cleaned up today yet...that's usually the first thing I do on the first off day I have in the week...now your guilting me into going to pick up poo.... :lol:

Well, you are a better man than I AJ. My wife and I know where to not walk in out yard. Bailey has her little "island" where all the grass is really green and grows faster than everything else. We just let is decompose into the ground.

that's the problem with Roscoe...I got little green patches all over the back yard...he is not a dog of habit evidently... :lol:

Just think if you lived up North we had three snow storms in 2 weeks there is turd frozen onto turd out there like a poo ice box cake and when it thaws its gonna be ugly

LUCKYDOG said:
Just think if you lived up North we had three snow storms in 2 weeks there is turd frozen onto turd out there like a poo ice box cake and when it thaws its gonna be ugly

:lol: so true! during wintertime you don't pick it up, once all the snow is gone there's crap EVERYWHERE! I've heard from one kennel/training place using lime to get rid of the stuff vs picking it up (don't know if it works?)

ok back on subject, AJ what's gonna be your 1st item to smoke ?
:doh: I just saw what you were planning on smoking, writen under the picture.

Changed my mind as you see...Gonna smoke Ribs CH...started another thread in the BBQ/Grilling section detailing what and how I am going to cook...

It's gonna be a little cool today...highs in the mid 40s.

Yesterday afternoon at 5 PM it was 85.1F....this morning at 5 AM it was 34.7 F....50.4 degree drop in 12 hours....can you say cold front? I just looked...it is 32.5 at 9:30 AM...

Boy I wish our company would do something like that. That is a nice one AJ you will definitely have some tastey food coming out of that. I think the first thing I cooked on mine was ribbs and I had that thing going and came into the house. The kids came in and said Dad the grill is smoking really good. Of course I said thats okay thats normal for it to do. Well 5 minutes I went out to check it and the thing was smoking bad. Well upon opening the lid my precious juicy ribs was a charcoal completely burnt to a crisp so bad that the dog (good ole Charlie) wouldn't even look at them. The bones were even crunchy. So I came in and said we going to have hamburgers instead. Lol So first time around watch with a eye or two .

thanks for the heads up Okie...I will keep a watchful eye on temp and for flareups...

AlabamaJack said:
15 pounds Royal Oak charcoal...three chunks of hickory...

It's Smokin'

012309c001.jpg

nothing in it...just "seasoning" the smoker...gonna smoke a brisket, some chicken and maybe a couple links of sausage tomorrow...

One thing I do to save money is use firewood for my wood. Around here, all the firewood is oak and/or hickory, either of which do the job. I soak a couple of logs in water overnight, and then throw them on the charcoal when it's ready. The nice thing about logs is that at most, you'll have to add one more to the initial log, and it cranks out more smoke than chips or chunks of wood.

I hear ya...but I have to buy mine so far...haven't found a good source for wood yet...I don't care for the taste of mesquite and that is the majority of the wood we get here..

AlabamaJack said:
I hear ya...but I have to buy mine so far...haven't found a good source for wood yet...I don't care for the taste of mesquite and that is the majority of the wood we get here..

From what I understand, mesquite is good for grilling, but lousy for smoking. If you don't have a good firewood supply, chunks will work....but pretty much any type of hardwood will work.

yup...mesquite burns very hot...it is a hard, hard wood...when we go to the ranch, we burn mesquite in the camp fire from the time we get there to the time we leave and douse it...

I used the chunk hickory from WallyWorld. If I can ever get back home to Florida, I will bring a bunch of hicory and pecan back...I love pecan...

What about apple...I hear that is good too...

AlabamaJack said:
What about apple...I hear that is good too...

apple works great for smoking.
here's a list of wood's I posted in another thread here, it's kinda useful. I even printed off a copy of this list for suggestions when I smoke.

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. A very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

BBQ List members report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA and OLIVE. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i. e. pear and cherry) are also suitable for smoking.

Other Internet sources list the wood from the following trees as suitable for smoking: BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW.

Thanks CH...I copied this to a word document and printed it off...

Back