grills Information on Brinkman Gourmet Smoker and Grill

chilehunter said:
JT - you know you're right, it's been along time since I've used the water pans & forgot they sit ontop of that pan. I stopped using the water pans many years ago cuz I found that it blocked alot of the heat.

I've used the water pan & seen the temps on that gauge then tried it w/o the water pan & noticed more heat got to the meat, IMO that equals less fuel & less time. so I stopped using water pans & consider them as a extra charcoal pan when the other one is wrecked.

yea yea your smoking you dont want alot of heat, well it'd still mean you'd need to use more fuel to get the heat ya want at the meat.
I know everyone has their own method, & mine is not using a water pan instead use a tin can filled with water/brine placed in the coals.

I use mine w/o the water pan too when I want more heat, but if you leave it in there w/o water it blocks the flames from flaring up on the meat. I just line the water pan with foil to catch the falling juices from the chicken or ribs and basically use it as a charcoal grill.

I use the waterpan in my vertical smoker a lot for lowering temps and/or catching juices. I've heard of people filling the pan with sand too, to keep temps down and dry for smoking peppers, tomatoes etc.

The bullet smokers are nice --do a couple of test runs to clean out the unit of oils and paint burn off -- it would be a good way to see how she burns. You can do quite a bit with them.

Watch this will be like your first hot pepper and in a few years you will be trailering your on Aj smoker on wheels

thanks for all the comments/suggestions folks...that's what I was wanting....

with all that said...I am ordering it today....

AlabamaJack said:
thanks for all the comments/suggestions folks...that's what I was wanting....

with all that said...I am ordering it today....

I'm not gonna quit hounding you til there is photographic evidence that poppers have been smoked and consumed! :hell:

thats cool TCG...just got to get it first

all I can say is when I ordered it, the email said "Please allow up to two weeks for this item to be shipped"

I've got an older version of this one and have used it sparingly. I always used the water pan and would fill it with water and other "things". Apple juice, sliced apples, oranges, whole garlic cloves, onions, anything to try and add flavor to the meat. Never used it for smoking anything else though. That might change here pretty soon. Smoked poppers sounds tasty.

Oh, AJ, I forgot to mention (thanks for reminding me patrick), you can cook things in the water pan. One of my favorite things to do is line the water pan with foil, fill it with water and smoke some meat. When the meat is about 1hr from being done, i'll add roughly chopped potatoes & carrots to the water, then let them cook in the drippings from the meat. Let the water evaporate off toward the end, so you get smoked, meaty potatos & carrots.

AND WHERE ARE MY SMOKED POPPERS!?!>!??!??!?1?:hell:

Also, you have to smoke some corn. Get corn still in the husk, peel the husks back & remove the slik, rub with a bit of olive oil or butter and loosely fold the husks back up. Tie the husks together using a piece of husk. I swear there is literally nothing on this earth better than smoked corn. Good god. it is AMAZING

thanks guys for the heads up and tips...

TCG...they said allow 3 weeks for shipping....dang, I wish it were here already...

AlabamaJack said:
thanks guys for the heads up and tips...

TCG...they said allow 3 weeks for shipping....dang, I wish it were here already...

Sounds like an excuse to me. I'm giving you 48 hrs man or i'm driving up there! Smoked poppers are SERIOUS BUSINESS! :lol:

I hate waiting for things in the mail, I always end up checking 2-3 times a day lol. I can't give you too much crap though, my smoker is currently on vacation in the parents' garage.

AlabamaJack said:
all I can say is when I ordered it, the email said "Please allow up to two weeks for this item to be shipped"

I've got one, AJ. Great little smoker. As others have said, it's versatile and easy to use. The temp gauge is worthless (warm, ideal, hot) so you have to be careful with the heat. The water pan takes some of the heat out though.

I love cranking up the smoker. You will too.

Txclosetgrower said:
Oh, AJ, I forgot to mention (thanks for reminding me patrick), you can cook things in the water pan. One of my favorite things to do is line the water pan with foil, fill it with water and smoke some meat. When the meat is about 1hr from being done, i'll add roughly chopped potatoes & carrots to the water, then let them cook in the drippings from the meat. Let the water evaporate off toward the end, so you get smoked, meaty potatos & carrots.

AND WHERE ARE MY SMOKED POPPERS!?!>!??!??!?1?:hell:

Also, you have to smoke some corn. Get corn still in the husk, peel the husks back & remove the slik, rub with a bit of olive oil or butter and loosely fold the husks back up. Tie the husks together using a piece of husk. I swear there is literally nothing on this earth better than smoked corn. Good god. it is AMAZING

Brilliant ideas TX. I had never thought of either of them after years of using that thing. I do grill corn that way, but I figured that smoking it would take too long. The potatoes sound awesome I will try that. Thanks.

Got My Smoker...

I got this a lot quicker than I thought I would.

-12209b002.jpg

Tomorrow is going to be "burnin" day...any hints on burnin will be appreciated...gonna read the manual first tho... :lol:

AlabamaJack said:
I got this a lot quicker than I thought I would.

Tomorrow is going to be "burnin" day...any hints on burnin will be appreciated...gonna read the manual first tho... :lol:

Soak the wood overnight. Start the charcoal in a chimney starter then, toss it in and wait a min the toss in the wood.

Make sure your water pan doesn't dry out if cooking large pieces of meat.

Load all you meat on the bottom rack that sits directly above the water pan and smoke all your poppers on the top rack so you can eat them while waiting lol.

Get you a remote probe thermometer so you'll have perfect meat. Those things are worth their weight in gold.

I think AJ meant burning the thing off. As in the chemicals used to keep it shiny and new that may not be good to cook on right away.

JayT said:
I think AJ meant burning the thing off. As in the chemicals used to keep it shiny and new that may not be good to cook on right away.

Ah I see i forgot bout that part, thought he meant cooking.

I just ran a pan-ful of charcoal in mine, then let it cool off and wiped the inside down with cooking oil. The oil burnt on nice 1st time i actually cooked with it and no rust since.

Back