• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Infinity Pod Test

hey paul! glad your on this website now. you definately should be. i've been hearing that the infinity was 7pod crossed with the scorpion. anyway i hope seeds get out there soon. i can't imagine a chili hotter than douglah or the scorpion! that's scary.
Hey mate,
Yes I thought I would finally get my arse into gear and start posting some of my vids on here!
The Infinity is crazy hot, far more than your average 7 pod and a bit above the scorpion too.
1,187,182 SHU can't argue with that......
Hopefully seeds will become available too so everyone can see for themselves that this ain't no normal 7 pod!! :woohoo:

1,187,182. Where did that number come from? Independently verified or is this the number that the TV station or newspaper came up with a year or so back?

Don't mean to doubt you Paul it's just people come here with big numbers but no proof. Got any?

Found this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7543281/Worlds-hottest-chilli-grown-in-Grantham-Lincs.html

Here's a quote: "Tests by Warwick University rate the Infinity chilli at 1,067,286 on the Scoville Scale.."

Was the protocol established by Dr. Borland used when measuring the pepper?

Were random pods used from the plant? Or was the sample taken from a plant that was purposely stressed in preparation for the test? Were all parts of the pepper used? Or was just the placenta used?

Being a person who takes this record heat level thing kind of serious I need to see proof before removing the current champ.

1,187,182. Where did that number come from? Independently verified or is this the number that the TV station or newspaper came up with a year or so back?

Don't mean to doubt you Paul it's just people come here with big numbers but no proof. Got any?
+1 patrick

the Douglah is 1,999,999 till some one proof that iam wrong ,thats what its gonna be and you all gonna belive it and accept it and spread the word . so we can make some money :cool:

the only way i will trust any new records if it was issues by the last record holder which is Dr. Paul.

Hey mate that figure came from Woody's last batch that he had tested at Warwick University, only going by what he has told me.
1,067,286 was the results from last years batch, this year the results were higher @ 1,187,182 SHU
I realise it hasn't been through the rigorous testing procedures of Dr Bosland, best thing would be to contact Warwick Uni and find out their exact test procedures.
I know I have just sent my own batch of pods off for testing and they asked me for a random sample of 6 pods.
See Woody's recent post on the infinity, he gave some more info on the testing done there. :D

Found this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7543281/Worlds-hottest-chilli-grown-in-Grantham-Lincs.html

Here's a quote: "Tests by Warwick University rate the Infinity chilli at 1,067,286 on the Scoville Scale.."

Was the protocol established by Dr. Borland used when measuring the pepper?

Were random pods used from the plant? Or was the sample taken from a plant that was purposely stressed in preparation for the test? Were all parts of the pepper used? Or was just the placenta used?

Being a person who takes this record heat level thing kind of serious I need to see proof before removing the current champ.

I don't know mate, you could always ask Woody?
I'm with you that until officially proved otherwise, the bhut has to remain king.

I already asked Woody the exact same questions in another thread here and he doesn't know the answers although he did post links to testing results

Bhut is officilly king, but most chileheads are far ahead of Guinness and know better :cool: and Guinness can't keep up with every single hybrid out there. The biggest problem with this Infinity is that it is an unstable hybrid so its not even worth testing IMO until there is 100% true breeding which should take many more years. Anybody can cross a scorpion and a 7 pod and hype it up with a new name, but its not really anything special until you've spent near a decade stabilizing it for desired characteristics and trueness

Paul I hope you don't think I was picking on you, wasn't my intent at all. Hard to know for sure on the web. Would you mind telling us what it cost to have a pepper tested?

POTAWIE I have to give you credit for the question about the protocol used, those are basically your words from a different thread about the same pepper. I'm not smart enough to come up with that on my own. Thank you.

I can understandx why a person would test a pepper, heck I would want to know if I was crossing superhots just to see if I was getting anywhere. Thing is I'm not sure if I would be telling the entire world about it, specially if I can't reproduce it consistently.

Best of luck to all involved.

Paul I hope you don't think I was picking on you, wasn't my intent at all. Hard to know for sure on the web. Would you mind telling us what it cost to have a pepper tested?

POTAWIE I have to give you credit for the question about the protocol used, those are basically your words from a different thread about the same pepper. I'm not smart enough to come up with that on my own. Thank you.

I can understandx why a person would test a pepper, heck I would want to know if I was crossing superhots just to see if I was getting anywhere. Thing is I'm not sure if I would be telling the entire world about it, specially if I can't reproduce it consistently.

Best of luck to all involved.

Patrick,

Not at all, the forums are all about people having voicing their own opinions and having good, frank discussions about things!

That is the exact reason why I have just sent off some pods, I have a rather interesting looking scorpion / naga cross and just wanted to find out roughly how hot they are, for my own benefit only. I agree with you to immediately start claiming you have produced the world's hottest is jumping the gun a bit.
The testing at Warwick costs £27 per batch (so around $40 I guess?), which I thought was quite reasonable.

I already asked Woody the exact same questions in another thread here and he doesn't know the answers although he did post links to testing results

Bhut is officilly king, but most chileheads are far ahead of Guinness and know better :cool: and Guinness can't keep up with every single hybrid out there. The biggest problem with this Infinity is that it is an unstable hybrid so its not even worth testing IMO until there is 100% true breeding which should take many more years. Anybody can cross a scorpion and a 7 pod and hype it up with a new name, but its not really anything special until you've spent near a decade stabilizing it for desired characteristics and trueness

Fair enough, I didn't realise the stablization process took quite so long, I thought maybe 2-3 years.
I agree that there are going to be far too many hybrids out there for guinness to keep up with it all.

Having not tried the doughlah (which many on here seem to think is the hottest they have tried), the hottest pure bred pepper I have tried was the Scorpion, IMO it kicked the bhut's butt.... :lol:
The douglah is on next years grow list so will have to wait and see for that one.....

The Douglah is second (or third) on my list of hottest behind the Trinidad Scorpion-BT, but the douglah has a much nicer flavor in my opinion

The Douglah is second (or third) on my list of hottest behind the Trinidad Scorpion-BT, but the douglah has a much nicer flavor in my opinion
Wow where did you get your douglah seed. I loved the butch t flavor and thought the douglah had a terrible flavor
Would love to find a better tasting douglah.

I got Douglah seeds from Sara in Trinidad, Cmpman1974, and Quebecfire, and they all grow the same for me. I guess they all probably originated from Sara.
You're the first one I've heard that actually liked the Trinidad Scorpion-BT flavor. Most like me find it nasty.
The Douglah isn't really my favorite flavor either. I really like it but its just not as versatile a flavor as some of the others

Edit: I just watched your ButchT review video, and I think you need to try another source. Those don't really look or sound like the ButchT that I grow and know

THis is the real deal regarding Trinidad Scorpion - Butch T. Pod shape is highly variable, but no doubt is this a very unique superhot. I've yet to see anything match the pod shapes. The bottom left IMO is perfection.

Chris

P1050368.jpg

Correction, the Infinity results for 2010 were 1,176,182 not 1,187,182 as I quoted above.
I have just had my latest batch of scorpion x naga cross tested at Warwick Uni and the results came back today - 1,178,988 SHU! :onfire: :woohoo: :onfire:

Nearly 3000 SHU more than the Infinity.....
I know it's not classed as 'official' testing but it still proves that they are quite hot!
I think there are going to be lots of new superhot hybrids like mine around soon, however due to the extra length of time it takes to get tested (as explained by Potawie) it's gonna have to be either a scorpion or douglah that takes the official title as world's hottest.....

I say the Trinidad scorpions will be the next official hottest since Dr. Bosland has been growing them for several years now, and official testing is supposed to happen soon from what I recall. They are also the hottest pepper I've ever tried, and they are a stable true growing variety

Back