• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Fun Chile Growing Competition

Hi Guys,

Following on from the huge success of 'The Whippets Tail Challenge', Im delighted to announce our new fun competition for 2007, the Big Jim Challenge - Guinness World Record attempt!

The Numex 'Big Jim' is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the producer of the largest Chile pods ever grown. The current world record is a gigantic 13.5 inches!!.

I believe the pepper is very common in the states and Im sure that most of you will have grown it at least once.

Do you have a secret soil mixture which you think could propel you into the Guinness Book of Records? Do you enjoy the banter of a friendly competition? Would you like to represent your Country & take on the Brits, Finlanders, Canadians & Italians etc ?

If so why don't you enter our free competition and who knows you may be the winner of the 2007 Chileman Trophy or one of our fantastic runners up prizes.

Even if you don't win, you'll have good fun growing these big beauties which are also excellent for making Chile Ristas as well as delicious Chile Rellanos.

Remember this is a non serious event and is suppose to be a bit of fun!!

Check out www.thechileman.org for further information

Mark :P

Looks like there's going to be a lot of competition this year. The list of competitors is growing, I can only imagine how many more by spring. Somebody has to break the world record, I'm sure going to try. GreenHot, the chileman's contest page now has links to seed suppliers in U.K. and U.S.

Hi Potawie,

Looking forward to seeing you in a chileman teeshirt;)

This years competition is going to massive and hilarious fun. Weve got loads of great prizes from seed collections to teeshirts to signed copies of Dave Dewitts Books, not to mention the possibility of a Guiness book of Records entry. How cool would that be?

There are already competitors from Italy, Spain, Finland, Denmark, USA, Canada and a few other countries. Ive just about formulated the 'secret soil mix' which I hope will propel me to victory!!

Mark

darlochileman said:
Ive just about formulated the 'secret soil mix' which I hope will propel me to victory!!

What...New Mexico desert dirt? My peppers grow like weeds here and I really don't do anything special to them other than watering...and the occasional squirt of Miracle Grow.

Hmmmm....maybe I should enter! :(

Hi Guys,

Its great to see so many of you Guys entering the contest. I wonder if you Americans/Canadians can beat the mighty Brits :lol:

Mark

PS I would be ordering dirt from Potawie given the size of his Whippets Tail pods last year

Hrm...I would enter but I don't have room for any monster plants in the closet. Maybe next year when I have some more space. I can't wait to see the results though, someone mail me a giant pepper when they're finished lol.

Winners Confirmed

The trophy is finally back from the engravers and I am delighted to offically confirm that Luigi is the worthy winner of the inaugural www.thechileman.org chilli growing competition.

http://thechileman.blogspot.com/

Well done to everyone who took part, particularly Derek (Potawie) who ran him so close. The banter was absolutely fantastic. Tony - what happened to the mysic powers of your Voodoo doll & your secret soil mix? wink:

Roll on the 2007 Competition - The Big Jim Challenge. If youve not already registered (its free) get your name down. If you don't enter yo can't win it. We have some fantastic prizes this year and the competiton is sure to be 'hotter' than ever

Mark

Back