• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer Fertilizers? Yes, No, Routine

imaguitargod said:
Actually, that sounds like alot of fun! I keep see everyone diving out of the way of the shooter...hehe.

I'll propose that to a bar-owner friend of mine. Line the room the Cleveland Brown/Indian fans and let Bengal/Reds fans pay to sit on the stool and take shots. We could even involve a junior division for St. X, Elder and Moeller fans where they can see how many St. Ed or St. Iggy fans they can hit!

Mike

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Aphids are attracted to plants feed with a high nitrogen fertilizer. They like hanging out on the new green growth caused from to much N. If you don't have aphid problems your feeding schedule looks fine.
Thank you!;)
That's the answer I've been waiting for!

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Aphids are attracted to plants feed with a high nitrogen fertilizer. They like hanging out on the new green growth caused from to much N. If you don't have aphid problems your feeding schedule looks fine.

Thank you very much PRF.

Thanks for the aphid explanation... let me just try to expand that a bit from the little that I know. I know that Nitrogen is a necessary nutrient, but over-doing it can lead to plants that are larger, with a higher water content then a plant that grew to that size without the super rich nitrogen fertilizer...right? New green growth is going to occur anyway (you hope), so is the problem that the plant is growing too fast, or that it is growing quickly without being "hearty" enough? Maybe this is a conversation for another thread.

Wild Man Matt said:
Thanks for the aphid explanation... let me just try to expand that a bit from the little that I know. I know that Nitrogen is a necessary nutrient, but over-doing it can lead to plants that are larger, with a higher water content then a plant that grew to that size without the super rich nitrogen fertilizer...right? New green growth is going to occur anyway (you hope), so is the problem that the plant is growing too fast, or that it is growing quickly without being "hearty" enough? Maybe this is a conversation for another thread.

Excess nitrogen stimulates a plant to put its energy into green growth, not bloat up with water. Some plants are more sensitive to high nitrogen than others, and if you give peppers too much nitrogen, you get nice leafy green plants with not as many pepper or even no peppers.

plants can only use so much of each NPK...IMO if you give the plants more N than they can use, that is where the problem comes in and one of those problems is it draws aphids.

I won't go into the discussion of super strong nutrients because it is up to each person to decide what their plants needs at a specific time during the grow season and that grow season is different for each one of us because of our differing environment. My goal is to hve the quickest growth possible that balances height with bushiness...if that is possible...

I will give you some scaling information: in hydro, all written material recommends 1400-1800 ppm nutrient concentration for capsicum, I use 400-500 ppm very successfully.

AlabamaJack said:
plants can only use so much of each NPK...IMO if you give the plants more N than they can use, that is where the problem comes in and one of those problems is it draws aphids.

To be pedantic, if you give a plant more nitrogen than it can use, it leeches off into the environment and contributes to problems in the aforementioned environment. If you give a plant more nitrogen than is optimal for its species/ variety, or a fertilizer that's NPK ratio is weighted too far towards nitrogen, it is stimulated to produce green growth at the expense of fruiting and root development.

patrick said:
I'd really like to hear what you experienced pepper growers use to feed your plants and your routines. Personally I have nothing against man made fertilizers and will use them willingly.

the seeds start off in potting soil, & stay in potting soil until they get put into the final container for outside, the regular top soil - sandy loam mix.

I flip & mix between a couple different natural fertilizers (& 1 not natural) throughout the season, just trying to keep a decent NPK ratio for the plants life. between
2 fish emulsions 5-1-1 & 2-4-0.5
sugar beet root 1-1-4
another 1 thats a mix of fish/seaweed & other natural stuff 12-6-6
plus I use superthrive in all waterings once I start fertilizing.

last year I bought & used some bloom plus 10-54-10 (not natural)

I don't use all these each time, I might use 2 together or just 1 it just depends. & I use fert. only every 3-4 weeks.

foxfarm nutrients (soil), i follow their schedule, i have their tri-pack "boosters", but dont use them, cause of their ridiculous npk ratios. i got them cause ive got lots of product tests.

and i put guano kalong (bat guano) in the soilmix for the last repotting.

patrick said:
Igg, I'm looking into getting some worm castings, how do you use them?

Anybody else use it?
I take it and sprinkle it onto the surface of the soil. Then I take a forked tine (sp?) and lightly work it into the soil, then water deeply. I also make work casting tea. A decent amount of casting (if I had to guess, 1/2 cup-1 cup) in a gallon jug of water. Shake throughly then leave out in the sun for 24 hours, shaking it occasionally. Dump onto plants, the water deeply.

wordwiz said:
The word is he has sex with them before devouring the castings. :mouthonfire:

Mike

I don't devour the castings! I make tea. :lol:

Ok can anyone tell me about Superthrive? I bought a small bottle (1 once) to try on my plants but then read that it should only be used with normal fertilizing routines.
My question is will it help growth used by itself (the plants have been fed with cow manure and fish emulsion in the past) or will i just be wasting it?

Novacastrian said:
Ok can anyone tell me about Superthrive? I bought a small bottle (1 once) to try on my plants but then read that it should only be used with normal fertilizing routines.
My question is will it help growth used by itself (the plants have been fed with cow manure and fish emulsion in the past) or will i just be wasting it?

Nova, I use it too with every watering. From what I understand, it is a vitamin supplement for the plant that enables the plant to take up nutrients at a faster pace than if the plant didn't have it...I think it also has some growth hormone in it...

Back